U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:09 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,273,257 times

Advertisements

Does anyone getting tired of the economic analysis of this rag? I think they've had and still have great foreign affairs analysis, but they are slipping hard core on the economics front. They've claimed that we need more stimulus. Maybe I'm misreading and that could be one's personal opinions, but they also keep snubbing Ron Paul. For a "libertarian learning, centre-right newspaper" they are letting me down
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 09:34 PM

4,047 posts, read 3,439,275 times
The Economist is my favorite magazine... read it every day I can. If they have claimed the need for another stimulus package then they have backed it up with fine analysis.

A fine, fine rag.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:44 PM

25,058 posts, read 25,618,028 times
If they are snubbing Ron Paul and calling for more stimulus, then that magazine is not Libertarian but Keynesian. I always suspected The Economist to be Keynesian, by the way. It's endorsed by Fox News

Old 07-18-2011, 10:15 PM

31,370 posts, read 34,601,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Maybe I'm misreading and that could be one's personal opinions, but they also keep snubbing Ron Paul. For a "libertarian learning, centre-right newspaper" they are letting me down
Why because they are telling you what you need to know and not what you hope to believe?

Outside of teabaggers, and lunatic Republicans, every sentient being on the planet understands that when you have depressed demand that last damn thing you want to do is depress it even further by cutting employment through needless and untimely austerity.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:17 PM

26,684 posts, read 26,883,322 times
Fox Business News tells me everything I need to know about the economy.

Perry/Bachmann in 2012 will save us all!

Old 07-18-2011, 10:34 PM

9,986 posts, read 12,734,007 times
The Economist is a conservative paper unbeholden to American conservative rhetoric. Seems to me that they would be worth reading, especially if you disgree with them. I always buy the Economist while traveling. Very high quality material for the most part.

I don't necessarily agree with them. They were for invading Iraq, for instance.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:14 PM

7,747 posts, read 8,169,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Why because they are telling you what you need to know and not what you hope to believe?

Outside of teabaggers, and lunatic Republicans, every sentient being on the planet understands that when you have depressed demand that last damn thing you want to do is depress it even further by cutting employment through needless and untimely austerity.
There is a difference between austerity and letting the economic ecosystem work itself out.

Wasting money by propping up crony corporatist is hardly a beneficial solution.

It is a demographic problem, no amount of stimulus will make older people spend more than they did when they had kids. Sorry.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:32 AM

20,140 posts, read 22,691,373 times
I gave up on The Economist years ago when they went rainbow ga-ga. Too many poofters in the pudding over there in London town. Embarrasingly wrong on so many important issues; sophomoric graphics; pricey, too. All they have left is their veddy mandarin-British diction and dazzling footwork. Impresses the rubes. Sounds more and more like Time or Newsweek every day -- which is not surprising, since they share many of the same views (and, increasingly, the same demographic).

Similar observations could be made about The Atlantic, which used to be a quality magazine worth looking forward to each month. Now it's just another baying left-wing swisheroo. Andrew Sullivan, indeed...

Old 07-19-2011, 04:46 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,273,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
The Economist is my favorite magazine... read it every day I can. If they have claimed the need for another stimulus package then they have backed it up with fine analysis.

A fine, fine rag.
Uh, except that they didn't back it up.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:47 AM

6,236 posts, read 8,969,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Does anyone getting tired of the economic analysis of this rag? I think they've had and still have great foreign affairs analysis, but they are slipping hard core on the economics front. They've claimed that we need more stimulus. Maybe I'm misreading and that could be one's personal opinions, but they also keep snubbing Ron Paul. For a "libertarian learning, centre-right newspaper" they are letting me down
Just because they're not telling you what you want to hear doesn't make it a rag. I read the Wall Street Journal sometimes and definitely don't always agree with its politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
The Economist is a conservative paper unbeholden to American conservative rhetoric. Seems to me that they would be worth reading, especially if you disgree with them. I always buy the Economist while traveling. Very high quality material for the most part.

I don't necessarily agree with them. They were for invading Iraq, for instance.
Good point. American conservatism and conservatism in other countries is very different. The Economist is a British magazine, so there's no reason to reflect American conservative views--thankfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies