Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 09:16 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
You. Can't. Not. Take. It.

Read the requirements. You MUST buy the brand, type, size, and quantity.
Quick search found this:
Quote:
10. Does the WIC client have to buy everything on the front of the WIC check?
No. WIC clients do not have to buy everything on the front of the check. If clients do not want or need an item listed on the front of the WIC check, they do not have to purchase it.
Florida WIC Program

Quote:
Don’t get it in the first place. If you don’t want the extra formula, just get less than what’s on the voucher. Contrary to what many people believe, you do NOT have to get every single can WIC authorizes you to get, and your food package will not be reduced the next month if you don’t use it all.
What Should I Do With Extra Formula? | WIC woes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Not at all. Where did you get that idea? However, what do you suggest they do with all that formula they are required to purchase when they don't or can't use it?

oh, I dont know.... change stupid government regulation?

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

It's horrifying to realize how many low-income people live in apartments with no cooking facilities.

I've seen apartments that have a sink, a mini-fridge (the kind you find in dorm rooms) and a hot plate for a "kitchen".

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Well I went to craigslist and looked under Austin. Yup..formula for sale.
And then I spied this craigslist post and felt a little better about people in the world.
I didn't know they were also selling WIC breast pumps but do now.

RE: SELL OF WIC FORMULA/ BREASTPUMPS (http://austin.craigslist.org/bab/2486860112.html - broken link)
"IT IS ILLEGAL TO SELL FORMULA / BREASTPUMPS GIVEN TO YOU FREE BY THE WIC PROGRAM!!!!! I PERSONALLY AM FORWARDING YOUR POSTING TO THE STATE OF TEXAS INVESTIGATION DEPT.HOPEFULLY YOUR INFORMATION WONT BE LINKED AS BEING A WIC RECEPIENT!!!!!YOU WILL BE. PROSECUTED! !!"

Old 07-20-2011, 09:17 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well reading about this craigslist scam has me wondering if they are doing the same with free food pantry items.
I don't know about selling, but I know some of them will visit many different pantries and hoard food. Now, I think some of this comes from the mindset of not knowing where your next meal may come from, but some of it is just plain greed and the thrill of getting something for free.

Through the organization I work with, we've visited people in their homes or shelter spaces (tents) and I've seen tents and kitchens absolutely stuffed to the brim with canned and boxed food, yet these people were trying to get our approval for more handouts or help with bills. It has made me more careful as to how and what I donate.

I definitely feel that those of us that have the means should help those that need a hand up, but that doesn't mean we should be blindly throwing money and goods at the poor. There's no reason we can't have some discernment, especially at the government level.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:18 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
What about welfare for the rich? $800 billion to the banksters!!!!!!!! How many xboxes and Trane units could that have bought?
This thread is not about the rich, if you're going to rant about this start your own thread, don't hijack this one

Old 07-20-2011, 09:19 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
What about welfare for the rich? $800 billion to the banksters!!!!!!!! How many xboxes and Trane units could that have bought?
Actually, that money went to everyone involved, not just the rich.

That being said, I agree with you. We should NEVER bail out banks or any other companies.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:19 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
oh, I dont know.... change stupid government regulation?
No-one is REQUIRED to get the baby food....

Old 07-20-2011, 09:20 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Florida is different than Arizona. States have different requirements - see the link I posted upthread,

What's South Carolina's guideline/requirement?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:21 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Oh the humanity!! There needs to be an increase in food stamps, Section 8 and more free stuff for the "poor".

Modern Poverty Includes A.C. and an Xbox - By Ken McIntyre - The Corner - National Review Online

We really have no poverty in the USA. People should go to India or South Africa to see what real poverty is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies