Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 06:21 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
amazing IMO.

Let's talk beans and rice. There are probably THOUSANDS of recipes in regards to this -- and they are usually almost ALL healthy, and cheap.

...You can make your OWN pizza dough and then a whole pizza for pretty cheap, too.

I almost feel that the ones defending this, are the ones abusing it. Or have abused it. No one should feel entitled to cool ranch dorritos and poptarts.

No one.
A bean and rice pizza? Never tried that!

For Pete's sake, hOtmess, can't people have a few "treats" once in a while? I don't believe take-out pizza can be paid for by SNAP, and frozen pizza is pretty cheap, and fairly nutritious.

BTW, take a gander at this link:

USDA's Advice For Eating Right Is Hard On The Wallet : Shots - Health Blog : NPR

What they found among people they surveyed in the Seattle area was that consuming the recommended amounts of these four nutrients would make the average person's food bill go up — by as much as $380 per year with just one of the nutrients (potassium). That is too much for some low-income families, they say.

BTW, I have never used (or abused) food stamps. You will not under my status that I am putting up beans. I just froze another 2# of them this afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 06:28 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,892,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A bean and rice pizza? Never tried that!

For Pete's sake, hOtmess, can't people have a few "treats" once in a while? I don't believe take-out pizza can be paid for by SNAP, and frozen pizza is pretty cheap, and fairly nutritious.

BTW, take a gander at this link:

USDA's Advice For Eating Right Is Hard On The Wallet : Shots - Health Blog : NPR

What they found among people they surveyed in the Seattle area was that consuming the recommended amounts of these four nutrients would make the average person's food bill go up — by as much as $380 per year with just one of the nutrients (potassium). That is too much for some low-income families, they say.

BTW, I have never used (or abused) food stamps. You will not under my status that I am putting up beans. I just froze another 2# of them this afternoon.

When you hold your hand out and say wah I need a treat... that's when beggars become choosers.
When people get to get food and junk food with stamps (and not even talk about other hand out programs) where is the incentive on getting off of these programs?

If you really can't afford food, your stamps only allow you to buy the basics and you REALLY want soda and cheetos.. then you need to improve YOUR situation so you can buy them. It's really quite simple.

Going back to that mother and daughter duo.. they had a lot of junk food that I enjoy. But because money is tight for us, we are only buying the basics. So, she gets to lay on the couch tonight with a cherry coke and cheetos (MM i love both!!), but tonight I ended up having chicken, broccoli, and rice (mmm loved that too!)

This is why I'm against people being this on life. We should make the system so crappy that people don't want to be on it. This way, hopefully, it will give them a reason to get off of these programs.

But why work towards something better when you can get food + shelter + cheetos + cherry coke?
It's not really a them issue, it's the system that's the issue.

EDIT: and no i never said a beans and rice pizza!! LOL

Old 08-07-2011, 06:29 PM

3,010 posts, read 2,263,651 times
Quote:
You're right. The fruits and vegetables were over in the produce section and not in these low lives' carts

Partner and I were talking about this whole topic in general. My stance will always be that when people need help, we need to help the truly needy.

When talking about "needy" or "poverty" or "poor" and all variations of it, I realized one thing: Regardless of who truly needs it or not, who is abusing it or not... people do not need sodas, chips, cheetos, microwavable TV dinners..etc.

I find it more important to that to those TRULY in poverty, that they eat apples, beans, whole grain brown rice, salad, carrots, canned tuna fish, ETC vs Cherry coke and cheetos.

How can anyone say that these people deserve cherry coke and cheetos?

Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans...are all needed. There are MANY MANY things to do the "basics" that are delicious and even healthy.
Eggs alone can make a ton of different breakfast options.
Peanut Butter and banana is delicious and pretty amazing IMO.

Let's talk beans and rice. There are probably THOUSANDS of recipes in regards to this -- and they are usually almost ALL healthy, and cheap.

Yet, people will ignore the truly basic food and defend people buying pringles, mountain dew, oreos, and frozen pizzas.

...You can make your OWN pizza dough and then a whole pizza for pretty cheap, too.

I almost feel that the ones defending this, are the ones abusing it. Or have abused it. No one should feel entitled to cool ranch dorritos and poptarts.

No one.
As long as they have money that is going toward food who cares what they buy? They are adults and can decide for themselves if they want to eat healthy or not without condescending people breathing down their necks. Why do you care so much about what they buy? Do you have nothing going on in your life or something?

Old 08-07-2011, 06:31 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,853,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
As long as they have money that is going toward food who cares what they buy? They are adults and can decide for themselves if they want to eat healthy or not without condescending people breathing down their necks. Why do you care so much about what they buy? Do you have nothing going on in your life or something?
As long as they have the money? They don't have the money!

Old 08-07-2011, 06:34 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,344,872 times
Your post brings up a good point. I feel that the SNAP should be run like Wic and promote healthy foods. But at the same time eating healthy is more expensive so someone may think they're doing a good job buying the less expensive white or yellow rice over brown rice because they're stretching their money. They don't really think about the health part. I remember growing up my grandmother tended to buy the sugary snacks over fruit because we could eat off them more. She thought financially it made more sense to spend $2 on a 12 pack of moon pies than $2 on four peaches

Quote:
You're right. The fruits and vegetables were over in the produce section and not in these low lives' carts

Partner and I were talking about this whole topic in general. My stance will always be that when people need help, we need to help the truly needy.

When talking about "needy" or "poverty" or "poor" and all variations of it, I realized one thing: Regardless of who truly needs it or not, who is abusing it or not... people do not need sodas, chips, cheetos, microwavable TV dinners..etc.

I find it more important to that to those TRULY in poverty, that they eat apples, beans, whole grain brown rice, salad, carrots, canned tuna fish, ETC vs Cherry coke and cheetos.

How can anyone say that these people deserve cherry coke and cheetos?

Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans...are all needed. There are MANY MANY things to do the "basics" that are delicious and even healthy.
Eggs alone can make a ton of different breakfast options.
Peanut Butter and banana is delicious and pretty amazing IMO.

Yet, people will ignore the truly basic food and defend people buying pringles, mountain dew, oreos, and frozen pizzas.

No one.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
LOL they are using food stamps (TAX DOLLARS) to buy "FOOD".
If people "need" food, why is it OK that they go out and buy NON-FOOD items??
Cheetos, pepsi, oreos, pork rinds, banquet TV dinners, are NOT food.

LOL... do people really deserve oreos? Really?

Old 08-07-2011, 06:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
As long as they have the money? They don't have the money!
They have OUR money..."as long as they have money".

If it were their money then fine..buy whatever the heck you want.
But food stamps is not supposed to be your lifestyle.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:39 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,388,296 times
Quote:
LOL they are using food stamps (TAX DOLLARS) to buy "FOOD".
If people "need" food, why is it OK that they go out and buy NON-FOOD items??
Cheetos, pepsi, oreos, pork rinds, banquet TV dinners, are NOT food.

USDA says they ARE food. Congress is in the pockets of agribusiness.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:43 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,853,557 times
Quote:
Oreos are a RIGHT damn it.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Oreos are a RIGHT damn it.
Only if others pay for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies