Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 07:11 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Not in accordance with American standards of living. Sure, they could be, as another posted "Africa Poor," but you're talking taking us back to the average lifespans of 40 years of age, and making the United States a third world country.

I don't think this idea. Poverty is by definition a measurement related to standard of living. It isn't absolute, and considering it's representative of the United States, there is no reason for it to be. We can consider the rates fo being "absolutely poor" and you're not even talking about the homeless, who have shelter, and sources of clean water.

Yes, that is one definition of poverty. It's a government definition, but it's not the only definition.

Dictionary.com: "the state or condition of having little or no money, goods, or means of support; condition of being poor; indigence."

For me and millions of other taxpayers, we would define poverty as not having any discretionary income or goods. So if you can afford cable TV and a smart phone, you are not living in poverty. If you can afford prepared foods, you are not living in poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 07:23 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Food stamps is welfare. You don't have to pay to get the benefits.
Unless you're disabled after years of working. Then you have paid in to get the benefits. See how nonsensical it can be to make blanket statements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
You should be careful of how you point fingers at the least among us, it could easily be you one day. Karma has a way of bending you over and spanking your bottom when you least expect it.
Any of us can be able-bodied one day, and disabled the next. It's actually kinda scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
That is a complete myth. See my earlier post about a local woman who fed her family of four organic, real, whole foods for 100 days on $125/week.
There's so much in that article that does not apply to the population we're discussing here. I'll only touch on one: The woman raised her own vegetables in her own garden; how many poverty-stricken neighborhoods have space for gardens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
a lot of places maintain shelters and shanty-towns where the homeless reside, any any public bathroom is a source of clean water. That's not "Africa poor."
This isn't Africa.

Quote:
That's not true at all. You can buy a whole chicken for the price of a bag of chips and two soft drinks.

A large bag of beans is dirt cheap compared to TV dinners.
You apparently missed the part of the discussion where the point was raised about people living in low-income and/or substandard housing, where landlords don't always supply cooking and/or refrigeration appliances.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:39 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:

Dictionary.com: "the state or condition of having little or no money, goods, or means of support; condition of being poor; indigence."

For me and millions of other taxpayers, we would define poverty as not having any discretionary income or goods. So if you can afford cable TV and a smart phone, you are not living in poverty. If you can afford prepared foods, you are not living in poverty.
And most people agree with you:

Quote:
Public Understanding of Poverty
In 2005, the typical poor household, as defined by the government, had air conditioning and a car.[41] For entertainment, the household had two color televisions, cable or satellite TV, a DVD player, and a VCR. In the kitchen, it had a refrigerator, an oven and stove, and a microwave. Other household conveniences included a clothes washer, clothes dryer, ceiling fans, a cordless phone, and a coffee maker. The family was able to obtain medical care when needed. Their home was not overcrowded and was in good repair. By its own report, the family was not hungry and had sufficient funds during the past year to meet all essential needs.

The overwhelming majority of the public do not regard a family living in these conditions as poor. For example, a poll conducted in June 2009 asked a nationally representative sample of the public whether they agreed or disagreed with the following statement: “A family in the U.S. that has a decent, un-crowded house or apartment to live in, ample food to eat, access to medical care, a car, cable television, air conditioning and a microwave at home should not be considered poor.”[42]

A full 80 percent of Republicans and 77 percent of Democrats agreed that a family living in those living conditions should not be considered poor.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:46 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Unless you're disabled after years of working. Then you have paid in to get the benefits. See how nonsensical it can be to make blanket statements?
But the welfare programs being discussed do NOT require the person to EVER pay in...

Quote:
Any of us can be able-bodied one day, and disabled the next. It's actually kinda scary.
Life is scary...

Quote:
There's so much in that article that does not apply to the population we're discussing here. I'll only touch on one: The woman raised her own vegetables in her own garden; how many poverty-stricken neighborhoods have space for gardens?
Hundreds of thousands do...using the square foot gardening method,a family of four would need a 10' by 10' area.

Quote:
You apparently missed the part of the discussion where the point was raised about people living in low-income and/or substandard housing, where landlords don't always supply cooking and/or refrigeration appliances.
Except those situations are incredibly rare,according to the report.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:

Post #1 is from the census report...the average poor which is what we were discussing. The average poor certainly can do those things.

-Lives in a home that is in good repair, not crowded, and equipped with air conditioning, clothes washer and dryer, and cable or satellite TV service.

-Prepares meals in a kitchen with a refrigerator, coffee maker and microwave as well as oven and stove.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:54 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Millions of poor people have space for a garden. Rural poverty is the norm in some parts of this country.

Drive through rural south carolina and you will see dilapidated shacks surrounded by an acre of veggies, or an acre of a cash crop like tobacco. However, you're more likely to see a bunch of morbidly obese people waddling out of their trailer drinking corn syrup, watching TV, and sitting in the A/C. Busy folks, they must not have time for gardening.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:05 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
THe point is . . . what the government defines as poverty level is the determinant for what benefits they receive. We have all been told that our tax dollars are taken from our paychecks and levied on our IRS returns to pay for programs created by the Feds. There is nothing we can do about it - we are required by law to hand over part of our paychecks weekly.

We have been told that the programs that use these tax dollars help keep families fed and a shelter over their heads. Most of us can get that . . . we understand that families can go through hard times. I would say - almost everyone I know has at some time faced a tough financial situation. Many of us are one paycheck away from losing everything! So people understand this and don't resent it. A temporary helping hand is what society should provide for those in dire TEMPORARY circumstances.

WHat folks do NOT get is that families receiving the tax generated subsidies are able to live a middle-class lifestyle due to the rest of us giving up part of our paychecks, while our bills mount up and we have to "make do" with less while paying for our healthcare, our food, our housing costs.

It kind of takes the incentive out of busting arse to live a decent life when you realize that others have managed to live pretty much the same lifestyle we have been living b/c they had four kids and so receive freebies we are not privvy to. We decided we couldn't afford that many children b/c we would have had to pay for childcare - and those folks who are on subsidies get their childcare free. They get their heating bills paid for or at least, reduced. They get food stamps. They get Medicaid. We are paying for our own medical costs, wh/ can put a person in bankruptcy if a major illness strikes.

It is pretty daunting to realize that getting that college degree (and paying for those student loans!), busting one's butt to be a good citizen, didn't make much difference in the end unless we were able to amass great wealth. Cause in the end, we are not enjoying a higher standard of living than the folks who were living off part of our check every month. Kind of depressing, actually.

And then it really gets maddening when you see the dregs of society, druggies w/ kids that are left to roam the streets and turn to violence and thuggery, drop out of school, and become part of the ongoing cycle of generational entitlement . . . and realize that we are subsidizing their lifestyles, too.

Honestly, if there are people who don't mind any of this - good for them. I suspect they are probably reaping some benefit from "the system" and so are vested in keeping things the way they are, lol.

Last edited by brokensky; 07-22-2011 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-22-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Millions of poor people have space for a garden. Rural poverty is the norm in some parts of this country.

Drive through rural south carolina and you will see dilapidated shacks surrounded by an acre of veggies, or an acre of a cash crop like tobacco. However, you're more likely to see a bunch of morbidly obese people waddling out of their trailer drinking corn syrup, watching TV, and sitting in the A/C. Busy folks, they must not have time for gardening.
To some people, "the poor" are destitute, living in Sec 8 housing with no kitchens and barely hanging on to life with a thread if it weren't for the entitlement programs.

I would say the "norm" is quite the opposite.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:09 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

You got it. I see it, too. And I know of these cases firsthand. And it is NOT a racial issue - blacks, whites, hispanics and illegals are all part of this lifestyle. I am not saying EVERYONE is gaming the system but I am definitely saying a big portion are! I am not referring to the elderly, infirm, disabled.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You got it. I see it, too. And I know of these cases firsthand. And it is NOT a racial issue - blacks, whites, hispanics and illegals are all part of this lifestyle. I am not saying EVERYONE is gaming the system but I am definitely saying a big portion are!
I wouldn't say "gaming". The system is broken and they are just taking advantage of it. Who wouldn't want something for free for just showing up at an office and filling in a form ?

The government relies on the public to report fraud in the entitlement programs. They do little to no oversight and do not produce reports.

The welfare programs in America is like the black hole we just keep pouring more money into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies