Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 08:13 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

And what is your point ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 08:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And what is your point ???
I would say DEFLECTION ....all eyes over there, not over here.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:36 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No, only those who are living off the backs of hard working tax payers.

Nobody who is living off the backs of taxpayers should have cable TV or a cell phone, nor should they be fat.
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
LOL, what? Who said they should only work picking crops?
Satire. Apparently you didn't catch that. Let me rephrase. Poor people should be slaves instead.

Quote:
So why should I work and save for the luxury items, when you think others deserve them? People like you who defend this nonsense make 0 sense.
And somehow selling one's TV is going to cure poverty, or that purchasing before they lost their job somehow means they shouldn't have it?

Quote:
You fail
I can't wait...

Quote:
(can't stress that enough..) to realize that if these 'poor' people have said luxury items, MAYBE .. just MAYBE they would have enough for their NEEDS.
Except this single-minded idea that people are perpetually on welfare, and everything they buy is with welfare funds, and that they should have zero luxury items of any kind, is all a giant farce.

People aren't always on welfare, nor were they always on welfare, nor will they always be on welfare. To believe they might have the atrocity of a refrigerator, or perhaps cable TV, is insane.

Quote:
OH wait, if they do that then how will get all of their luxury wants? It's called saving, or working more. If the rest of us have to do it, why are they so damn special?
I could see your point of they are buying diamond jewelry, or maybe have multiple televisions, multiple computers, multiple cars, etc.

But in reality. They don't. And also in reality, the selling of these goods won't generate a dependable income, so even if they do have them, that doesn't mean they still won't be in poverty. A quarter of American's would be able to raise $2000 in a month without selling some of their own possessions. How many possessions do you think it's going to take to get out of poverty? I'll give you an answer.

Zero.

You have a finite number of items to sell, and selling them will not provide you a job.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:08 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post

I have a well sourced post prepared for this, but I'm not going to spoil it by posting just to have you ***** and complain about some small stipulation, like poverty went up in the last three years, while completely ignoring a melting economy.

So tell me. Will any of the research I post showing welfare programs help to lower poverty actually make a difference in what you think, believe, or accept?
I wasn't going to post on this thread anymore, but I have to say your comments are rght on. The people making all the posts against helping low income Americans are not only ignorant, but they are WILLFULLY ignorant. They have made the poor THE ENEMY and they are not going to easily let go of this concept. The posts about all the free stuff the poor have and how they are living it up while everyone else suffers astonish me with both their ignorance and their spitefulness.

I am reminded of the treatment of the disabled in Nazi Germany. The Nazis decided that it was a waste of time and money to support the handicapped. During Hitler's "cleansing program", thousands of people with various disabilities were deemed useless and simply put to death like dogs and cats. I see no difference in the attitudes of the people here. They advocate that the housing voucher program be cut, that no more food stamps be issued and that Medicaid be dismantled. What are the consequences of these actions? Without medical care, without food, and condemned to life on the streets, America's disabled will fare no better than Germany's did.

It is simply not worth responding to these people. It only encourages them to spew forth even more hatefulness than ever.

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 07-25-2011 at 09:21 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 09:14 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
The only ones being 'hateful' seem to be some of those on the left....

Old 07-25-2011, 09:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh so now government welfare helps to keep or create jobs ?
Just like Pelosi said. Government money is keeping the economy going via entitlement programs..right ?

Thats one sad statement for the state of America isn't it ?
A self-fulfilling downward spiral.
Fifty years ago, if Pelosi had said that . . . people would have been up in arms, cause what she is saying essentially is that America is operating on the same system as the USSR (circa 1965). She would have been called a Communist - b/c that is what she is describing - communism.

Maybe folks are too young to remember what the USSR was like and how it evolved. Maybe folks just can't believe the good ole USA can't turn into one big ole gubment cooperative, but that is exactly what is occurring. The only jobs being created out there are gubment jobs. I find it sad that it doens't seem to bother people what is taking place. Rather, the majority of folks are just looking for a way to get "their piece of the tax $$$ pie." I feel like I am Alice and have fallen down a rabbit hole . . .

Old 07-25-2011, 09:28 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I wasn't going to post on this thread anymore, but I have to say your comments are rght on. The people making all the posts against helping low income Americans are not only ignorant, but they are WILLFULLY ignorant. They have made the poor THE ENEMY and they are not going to easily let go of this concept. The posts about all the free stuff the poor have and how they are living it up while everyone else suffers astonish me with both their ignorance and their spitefulness.

It is simply not worth responding to these people. There are far more useful things that one could be doing. Let them have their little hatefest in this thread and ignore them.
You evidently have a very specific agenda and I can't figure out what it is.

People have not been agitated about the working poor! That is a misrepresentation of the majority of comments on this thread!

No one wants the elderly, infirm or TEMPORARILY out of work to be homeless or living a wretched life!

What folks are objecting to is how many folks have gamed the system - and managed to essentially life a "middle class lifestyle" without paying the taxes that go along with what the rest of us have to earn to live that lifestyle!

Maybe you simply do not understand (or believe) how many people have managed to figure out a way to stay within the poverty guidelines of this government - and still live a pretty decent life - while the rest of us are in debt and struggling, making higher salaries and being forced to hand over our hard earned dollars, as taxes, so others can be SLACKERS. Look at the poverty guideline charts. A single person is paying taxes and getting no benefits at the same level a woman w/ 3 kids is getting every possible benefit, from housing assistance to medicaid, food stamps, free childcare, etc. It is maddening if you see this going on around you = and you can't afford any extras - but the folks getting the handouts CAN AFFORD IT.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:39 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,474 times
Yeah I never said anything about the TRUE poor. I'm talking about the people who CLAIM to be poor, and yet still somehow find money to have the luxuries I listed.

But, I understand. Reading.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:29 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,234 times
Alot of you guys are just mad that you don't know how to save money for something you want to buy.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:00 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,781,742 times
No offense but do you wish for poor people not to have ac? Tge southern states top 100 degrees during the summer and you think poor folks shouldn't have ac?

Really?

A poor people with Ac and a xbox bothers you that much but you dont complain about military spending and other excess waste?

What abouy earmarks?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies