Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 01:52 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,046,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, it is silly, and you have totally missed the point... so let's restate the point.

Smart phone data plans cost $30 - $80 per month. Cable TV costs $30 - $150 per month. EVERY month.

Many of us do not agree with people on government assistance having these unnecessary expensive items. Nobody cares that they have a 7 year old VCR.

Where have you gotten the idea that people on government assistance have smartphones with data plans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 02:08 PM

1,908 posts, read 2,536,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, it is silly, and you have totally missed the point... so let's restate the point.

Smart phone data plans cost $30 - $80 per month. Cable TV costs $30 - $150 per month. EVERY month.

Many of us do not agree with people on government assistance having these unnecessary expensive items. Nobody cares that they have a 7 year old VCR.
As said over and over again: That $60 - $230 saved will NOT keep a family out of poverty and fed. If a family collects welfare the caseworker is not going to say, "Oh, I see you are not paying for phone and cable anymore. Therefore we are going to lower your monthly food stamps and cash payment." It just does not work that way. Benefits do not go down unless income goes up.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:20 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,685,811 times
It is just super being poor in America. Why according to what we see on TV the poor are living the good life. The worst part of this is that most Americans believe it. Maybe because it is easier not to really look. The news out of Knoxville almost every night is asking for food donations for students who go home, (car, motel, bridge, or park), hungry every night. The Salvation Army in Kingsport Tn charges $6 a night per person. I have met families with no place to live and not even $6 to get out of the cold. I met people who camp in the woods and hunt their own food. They can't afford .22's so they have to hunt with pellet guns. As the school year approaches the News media is once again asking for school donations, pencils, erasers, etc., so children have have the basic items to attend a class. One man in Kingsport was given six months in jail for stealing a loaf of bread to feed his family. Yea they're living the good life alright.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:25 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,340,200 times
In Las Vegas, I worked at the soup kitchen, people came in there, better dressed than me, driving better cars, with brand new cell phones. And when I worked Medicaid, I would interview women in "poverty" who had Juicy Couture bags, Dolce Gabbana sunglasses, Louis Vittion wallets, with fully done nails, wigs, make up...stuff I could never afford on a state worker salary. I always wondered about that...yet, they filled out financials, stating no income. And they had no money recieved under their social...but...they were working for cash, many of them, while recieving benefits.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:32 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,096 times
Default some just don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
It is just super being poor in America. Why according to what we see on TV the poor are living the good life. The worst part of this is that most Americans believe it. Maybe because it is easier not to really look. The news out of Knoxville almost every night is asking for food donations for students who go home, (car, motel, bridge, or park), hungry every night. The Salvation Army in Kingsport Tn charges $6 a night per person. I have met families with no place to live and not even $6 to get out of the cold. I met people who camp in the woods and hunt their own food. They can't afford .22's so they have to hunt with pellet guns. As the school year approaches the News media is once again asking for school donations, pencils, erasers, etc., so children have have the basic items to attend a class. One man in Kingsport was given six months in jail for stealing a loaf of bread to feed his family. Yea they're living the good life alright.
People suffering don't enter into their conscience thought, therefore they don't have to carry any guilt for their failures to help.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:34 PM

Default besides,

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well it's true. While a very small number it showed up on the survey of amenities that the moderate poor have.

I'd almost say that the moderate poor receiving some government assistance might be living better than the working class poor that get no government assistance.

These people may not have been poor at the time they got their jacuzzi and they had a bad accident and lousy health insurance, then lost their job, or .......

Old 07-26-2011, 02:35 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,300,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
American taxpayers subsidize the poor, not the rich.
Get with the program and stop the envy whine.
American taxpayers subsidize people who do nothing too.
That gets me steamed. Food stamps buying steaks, and
Lobster. People who sit on their ass and I pay their bills.

The rich pay for what they get.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:36 PM

Default idiocy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Where have you gotten the idea that people on government assistance have smartphones with data plans?
thats the only answer.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:40 PM

Default well

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
In Las Vegas, I worked at the soup kitchen, people came in there, better dressed than me, driving better cars, with brand new cell phones. And when I worked Medicaid, I would interview women in "poverty" who had Juicy Couture bags, Dolce Gabbana sunglasses, Louis Vittion wallets, with fully done nails, wigs, make up...stuff I could never afford on a state worker salary. I always wondered about that...yet, they filled out financials, stating no income. And they had no money recieved under their social...but...they were working for cash, many of them, while recieving benefits.
have you ever heard of knock-offs?.............but to think that there are not lots and lots of people actually cheating the system is nuts. Even liberals know this...but in the interest of feeding the truly hungry, taking care of the truly needy,the aged, the children, the handicapped, the homeless families needing temporary help.....we have to understand that it isn't possible to check each and every person applying for help. We couldn't afford all the "government" workers necessary to do that. The system could realy use, not only cleaning up, but streamlining for sure, just as is true with ANY government program. That does not mean that the program sucks...only that their are abuses that need fixing.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:42 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,238 times
This is a 60 page thread and I only read 2 pages in and skipped to the end. I'm pretty sure I can summarized half the posts as saying the poor have it so well. Right. It would be smart to think that a poor person having all of this is the exception to the rule. Anyway, since PO&C is the mecca of all internet knowledge, what do you think is appropriate for a poor person to have? Or would you prefer a "let them have cake" approach since you really dont think they are poor. sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies