Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 09:02 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,861,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
There is a copy of the one fraud case that cost the taxpayers $149.00.....oooooooohhhhhhhh........those horrible poor people. Now, lets see Countrywide Mortgages cost us ????? in just one illegal mortgage bundling deal?
That was the government's choosing to bail them out,BOTH parties supported it....and it is off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 09:03 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So, OP, you're asserting that every person living in poverty has an Xbox and AC?
I'd love to see that proof of your assertion.
You have some, don't you?
The proof is in the article which references data from the Census Bureau. Read it.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
It was a little more than a few decades ago.
Prior to the 1950's it was rare.

When I was growing up,we had no A/C in our schools or any of the home we owned,of course this was back in the dark ages...1970's and 1980's....

Old 07-27-2011, 09:05 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,251 times
Default Is everything all or nothing with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Actually the answer is no,it is NOT prohibited.Like I said, I didn't know if it was but that someone of good character albeit poor wouldn't choose lobster to use up a months worth of food for her children. A fraudulent low life might.

Wally world sell lobster...do you actually GO to supermarkets???? I've never hear of Wally World....I thought you were joking. Luckily I'm one of those that don't even have to check the price of things when I do go....but I still can use those little food pantry "chits" to add to my grocery bill at the checkout line.

Well obviously someone did... Yeah....there's one!

No,the fraud was trying to sell the food afterwards....otherwise it was perfectly legal.A lowlife is a lowlife is a lowlife.....you don't have to be poor to be a lowlife.

No,just pointing out a system easily gamed to those who do not seem to know much of anything about the system...
I came within 3 days one time as a single mom 30 plus years ago where I actually used a food stamp. I had the stamps in my purse....But I finally got a job and was able to borrow some food money until my paycheck came in and gave the food stamps back. But I'm sure glad they were available, or my kids would have been hungry. I also slept in my car for 5 days....but I had more time on my former health club dues and was able to shower there! Luckily the kids were at the fathers and didn't have to know it.....I nw live in a gated community in a 4000 sq. ft home with pool and art studio on 2 acres...... Nothing is ever quite as black and white as it seems....is it

Old 07-27-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB7778 View Post
Yeah, poor people should be stuck with ONLY the medical technology of the 1950s. No more MRIs, let polio run rampant, etc.
and the connection to A/C is.....none.

Try again.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:07 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,130,775 times
Quote:
As I stated before, those powers to be....looked at the flaws in the program and have since changed it. I wonder when everyone is going to start looking into the flaws dripping like honey from the corporate welfare hive.
Um...that was last month. I don't think anything has changed.

Eta: the receipt is from February, but he went to court for attempting to sell the steak and lobster, obtained through food stamps, last month.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:08 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,047,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The proof is in the article which references data from the Census Bureau. Read it.
Approximately one in four households surveyed had a gaming system of an unspecified type. That's all the data indicates.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I came within 3 days one time as a single mom 30 plus years ago where I actually used a food stamp. I had the stamps in my purse....But I finally got a job and was able to borrow some food money until my paycheck came in and gave the food stamps back. But I'm sure glad they were available, or my kids would have been hungry. I also slept in my car for 5 days....but I had more time on my former health club dues and was able to shower there! Luckily the kids were at the fathers and didn't have to know it.....I nw live in a gated community in a 4000 sq. ft home with pool and art studio on 2 acres...... Nothing is ever quite as black and white as it seems....is it
Please don't post inside the quote,it makes it difficult to respond to the particular points.

Wally World= Walmart.

I used to live in a house with no indoor plumbing,had a 'dunny'(outhouse) down a very long dark path(seemed to us kids anyway)...was a great life growing up(this was in the 1970's)
Then came here,lived for a while in a old sharecroppers house,no A/C,no heat,no insulation,it was fine to live in,had a view of the salt marshes that people a decade or so later would have paid hundreds of thousands for...that was fine too....

Have briefly been homeless,lived in someone's garage for a while...
Never occurred to me to get any gov welfare of any sort....

We now live in a 'barn' on 17 acres of scrubby land and hopefully will drop out of society soon enough....

To add,you are quite correct about never knowing,had friends who owned a million dollar plus home on deepwater with dock,etc,owned their own business and the building it was in,nice enough cars,etc....now have nothing,lost the home,the cars,the business is gone...

Old 07-27-2011, 09:16 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
What about welfare for the rich? $800 billion to the banksters!!!!!!!! How many xboxes and Trane units could that have bought?
Ending posts with does nothing to further your point.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:17 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,047,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Prior to the 1950's it was rare.

When I was growing up,we had no A/C in our schools or any of the home we owned,of course this was back in the dark ages...1970's and 1980's....
We are of similar age and all of my childhood homes and schools had a/c. It wasn't until I was an adult and bought a property in a very mild climate that I did not have a/c.

1950 was sixty years ago, and that is more than a few decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies