Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 04:02 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
What do you call real poverty?
The number of Americans who live in real poverty is miniscule...there just isn't that many living in poverty.

Most live in situational poverty,they are poorer than others but still have more than enough.

Instead of reading the emotion driven headlines,read more thoroughly about the hungry children(for example),it isn't quite what you would think.

Just as the idea that there are millions of people living in poverty....with TV's,cable,cell phones,cars,game systems,etc,etc...that isn't really poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 04:53 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
The number of Americans who live in real poverty is miniscule...there just isn't that many living in poverty.

Most live in situational poverty,they are poorer than others but still have more than enough.

Instead of reading the emotion driven headlines,read more thoroughly about the hungry children(for example),it isn't quite what you would think.

Just as the idea that there are millions of people living in poverty....with TV's,cable,cell phones,cars,game systems,etc,etc...that isn't really poverty.
Have you ever lived in poverty? Do you know everyone who lives in poverty and how their life is? No and that is why you do not know this it is just your opinion. Keep thinking this though so you feel better about yourself.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:03 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Have you ever lived in poverty? Do you know everyone who lives in poverty and how their life is? No and that is why you do not know this it is just your opinion. Keep thinking this though so you feel better about yourself.

There is difference with poor vs poverty.
I'll use myself as an example.

I've stated earlier that we've had some really bad money problems for quite some time. Only buying what we needed, stretched meals and everything out as much as we can (tooth pastes, shampoos, soaps, etc etc).Cutting things out we didn't need.

We were poor.
But, we also live in an apartment with air conditioner, heat, an oven, stove, we have 3 game systems, 2 laptops and a PC, etc etc etc. This stuff was all purchased when life wasn't all that bad! However, bills and the spending became much larger than the income.

Again, this was us being POOR: Had BARELY the amount to get by with none leftover for anything that wasn't a NEED.

But never poverty.

If we lived in poverty, we would have no food, or running water .. not even to MENTION an air conditioner!

The point is: We probably could actually get on these government programs. If we did, our lives owuld be SO much more simple. Between section 8 and food stamps, we would have so much more disposable money! I think Section 8 means we'd be responsible for 30% of our rent? We currently spend $50~ a week on groceries now. I'm sure we'd get a lot more on the stamps!

We (as in him and I) should not actually live a BETTER life, simply because we've accepted the handouts. We will take the handouts if things became much worse with no hope in the near future. THIS is what those handouts are for.

They are NOT meant to be a lifestyle.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:06 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Have you ever lived in poverty?
Yes,what you and others think of as poverty anyway...

Quote:
Do you know everyone who lives in poverty and how their life is?
No,but I grew up in a house with no indoor plumbing,heating,cooling or electricity when we first moved there(best years of my life,LOVED it as a child),in houses with no insulation,heating or cooling,in someone's garage for a while,on a sail boat-four people in a space the size of a normal home's living room,in a camper fulltime...been poor to where I ate sardines and white bread for a few weeks...
Ohh,and never took any gov. welfare....

Quote:
No and that is why you do not know this it is just your opinion. Keep thinking this though so you feel better about yourself.
It isn't to make me feel good,I don't really care two hoots what the poor do or do not have or how they live,I just know they don't have it that bad....

Except for being homeless and that is a very small number of the poor.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Please stop replying inside the quote,it is more difficult to reply to your message.

No-one knows how many scammers there are because no-one is interested in finding out,for various reasons.

The report is the newest there is,blame the fedgov.

They are living pretty well considering....better than most people in the world.Certainly not going hungry or going without shelter.

We live in America though we do not live in another country so comparing their poor to ours is silly. Being poor is relative to where you live. There are places in Europe where their poor is better off them ours I guess they are not really poor either? The places with worse off poor people have no were near the money the US has so they have a different standard of poverty that should not mean we should not strive for our poor to go there .Just because people in other countries lives in shacks does not make poverty right. It is really just an excuse not to care about the poor. If you really want to compare the worst of poverty to other countries we need to compare theirs to our homeless not our poor. Many homeless live on the streets is that really better then out countries poor? It actually may be worse because at least the poor in other countries have a home.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Yes,what you and others think of as poverty anyway...

No,but I grew up in a house with no indoor plumbing,heating,cooling or electricity when we first moved there(best years of my life,LOVED it as a child),in houses with no insulation,heating or cooling,in someone's garage for a while,on a sail boat-four people in a space the size of a normal home's living room,in a camper fulltime...been poor to where I ate sardines and white bread for a few weeks...
Ohh,and never took any gov. welfare....

It isn't to make me feel good,I don't really care two hoots what the poor do or do not have or how they live,I just know they don't have it that bad....

Except for being homeless and that is a very small number of the poor.
No you only think they have a good based on your opinion. So now your standards for the poor are lower. Lets make sure they have no a/c electricity, plumbing, because all those things make people have such a great life.No even better lets make sure they live in a tiny shack like they do in other countries because they are not poor enough and are living such a good life.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:44 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,057 times
Quote:
No you only think they have a good based on your opinion. So now your standards for the poor are lower. Lets make sure they have no a/c electricity, plumbing, because all those things make people have such a great life.No even better lets make sure they live in a tiny shack like they do in other countries because they are not poor enough and are living such a good life.
But at the same time, why make sure they are living somewhat close to a middle class lifestyle?

It's a slap in the face to those who work and sacrifice to have nice things. I don't have an air conditioner because I deserve one, I have one because I worked for one.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
But at the same time, why make sure they are living somewhat close to a middle class lifestyle?

It's a slap in the face to those who work and sacrifice to have nice things. I don't have an air conditioner because I deserve one, I have one because I worked for one.
Back in Champaign, IL, the housing projects had air conditioning.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:

Where I live in SC it is getting up to the upper 90's. Air conditioning is not a luxury. How is having a TV or air conditioning even close to a middle class lifestyle?

Old 07-28-2011, 06:06 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times
Quote:
No, it wasn't "one" thing. A lot of them bought lobsters using the cash on their ACCESS card. It wasn't JUST lobsters, we're also talking salmons, tunas (NOT THE CAN), and other fish. NOT the cheap kind too.

There also didn't seem to be ANY restrictions. They couldn't use that stuff with the food stamp portion, but with the cash portion they were able to buy.. whatever. It's just like a debit card. It had money in it.
Clearly the poor should only eat gruel. Can I have some more, please?

At some point you might just have to acknowledge that people in the ghetto don't know much about nutrition, thrift, or other life skills that you are fortunate enough to possess. They don't understand savings or investment, and their crappy jobs (if they have 'em - black unemployment is nearly double the average rate). They don't trust banks (maybe they have that one right...). The only success stories they see are people making it via sports, music, etc. They're certainly not being educated in their schools, which are constantly failing and act as glorified day care services for the most part.

Of course, regressives don't want to pay for education, or early intervention programs, or clinics, or other programs for the poor, so this is what you get. Forgive the clumsy analogy but it's like refusing to take the time to train your dog and then getting pissed when he takes a dump on your rug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies