Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 11:03 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
there are no actual benefits to a gaming system or cable TV....except to while away your time....
It's called entertainment, Einstein ... And some games truly are educational, and can be quite beneficial to children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 12:32 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
of course there are benefits, especially to someone who has children, but like I said you don't think the poor are worthy of anything so I'm sure that it wouldn't seem like much of a benefit to you.
LOL....you do know there was a time before gaming systems right?And somehow parents kept their children busy...

Quote:
yeah okay so lets see I paid $199 for my Wii...my son likes to play some Simon Says type of game, which keeps him active (not just sitting there watching TV) and keeps him busy while I'm doing other things, it also helps on those days when he can't go out to play due to weather. I'd imagine in "poor neighborhoods" this might be even more important because it may not always be safe to go outside. PBS is only on a few hours a day with my cable provider, usually while my son is at school so I love going to the library and getting the PBS DVD's (free). Best one I've gotten from the library is a set called Have Fun Teaching...it teaches the alphabet, counting, days of the week, etc to catchy music that kids like to dance to...reminds me a bit of Schoolhouse Rock, which I will probably try as he gets older. We don't have a DVD player...guess I could go buy one but you would probably be against poor people having a DVD player and we already know you don't want them to have cable so any type of entertainment, even educational, isn't a benefit for you but in my household having a gaming system is a benefit for me and even if I needed assistance tomorrow I wouldn't pawn it (for far less than what I paid for it) because I believe the long-term benefits outweigh the short-term benefit of a week (or a month at your fanatical grocery store) of food.
$200 should buy enough food for a month.

Quote:
I'm sorry I thought we were talking about a family...which I thought included children...laws prevent them from working.
I thought we were discussing the 'poor'.

Quote:
I HAVE to know what you're buying that can feed a family of 4 for a month for $100....I'm guessing ramen noodles. Unless you're one of those extreme coupon people...I tried that most I saved so far was around $20.
Chicken quarters were on sale this past week,less than $6 for 10 pounds,regular price is less than $8 for 10 pounds.
Rice is about $12 for 20 pounds.
Black beans or red beans are a little over $1/pound.
Pasta is about $1/pound.
In season veggies like squash,pole beans and green beans were less than $1/pound.
If you want,you can make your own bread for less than $1 a loaf,but it takes time.
So...30 pounds of chicken would be less than $18 plus tax.
30 pounds of rice $18.
10 pounds of dried beans $12.
30 pounds of fresh veggies $30.
30 pounds of pasta $30.

Quote:
My issue with you is you're trying to paint everyone as these welfare leeches who just take govt money and then run out and buy expensive things. While there is no argument that those type of people exist, I don't believe that is the majority.
I have as much idea if it is true or not as you...which is you don't know,you FEEL it isn't true but then why even in good economic times did so many remain on the public dole???

Quote:
But if you really think the poor are getting over on you, join the ranks and live the good life tax free.
That's the plan....

Quote:
At least you won't be so unhappy all the time.
I am quite happy,was just outside watching the hummingbirds,looking at the mountains,and talking to some people about buying my tractor...cash of course...

Old 08-03-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It's called entertainment, Einstein ... And some games truly are educational, and can be quite beneficial to children.
So are books.....I understand that modern parents are lazy and don't actually want to do too much with their children but plop them in front of something to keep them busy but really....

Old 08-03-2011, 01:43 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
snip

And what happened before people had cell phones? Perhaps you're too young to remember a time when no one had a phone at their side 24/7. To me, they're still a relatively new thing, albeit a very handy convenience. I'm not advocating a return to the stone age, or to a time when phones included a crank on the side, but again there's a difference between "need" and "want", between "necessity" and "luxury".
When was the last time you saw a pay phone anywhere? Last time I can remember using one is back in 2003. They used to be everywhere, especially in convenience stores. All the poor neighborhoods I have ever lived in had them. Now they are mostly gone.

As has been repeated umpteen times - cell phones are a NEED for many, many people.

Damn, but it gets tiring hearing you people complain about what the poor should not have, while you complain that they are sponges who won't work. How can they get a job (ANY JOB) without a phone. Don't give me that they can use a message phone - been there, done that - with zero luck.

So, do you want the poor to have phones and the ability to accept job offers, or do you want them so poor that they not only can't accept a job offer, but have no way to get there. (Heaven forbid if the poor have a car.)

Old 08-03-2011, 01:50 PM

Well you should be relieved to know that having a free to you cell phone is now considered your right...well as long as you are 'poor'....

Of course,the people who are ultimately PAYING for your free to you cell phone might have to go without but so what,they are rich...or at least richer than you....

Old 08-03-2011, 03:27 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
When was the last time you saw a pay phone anywhere? Last time I can remember using one is back in 2003. They used to be everywhere, especially in convenience stores. All the poor neighborhoods I have ever lived in had them. Now they are mostly gone.

As has been repeated umpteen times - cell phones are a NEED for many, many people.

Damn, but it gets tiring hearing you people complain about what the poor should not have, while you complain that they are sponges who won't work. How can they get a job (ANY JOB) without a phone. Don't give me that they can use a message phone - been there, done that - with zero luck.

So, do you want the poor to have phones and the ability to accept job offers, or do you want them so poor that they not only can't accept a job offer, but have no way to get there. (Heaven forbid if the poor have a car.)
Cell phones are not a need. You, and apparently many others, are clearly unable to distinguish needs from wants. My 5 y.o. will tell me how much she needs a new Barbie. Crying about how cell phones are a need sure sounds similar to me! Being reachable anywhere/anytime is not a need. It sure makes having your homies text you easy though!

You apply for a job at McD's. You ask when a decision will be made on hiring. You explain that you do not have a phone, but will call prior to that time to find the decision. Now walk to Burger King... lather, rinse, repeat. After a couple of steady paychecks, you go and buy a per-minute phone with your own money. Buy the minutes you need and don't fritter them away by chatting with the crew about pickin' up some 40s on the way home. Be as tight with those minutes as you can be and when you've used them up talking to your boss when you need to be reached, you take more of your own money and get some more minutes.

And apply for jobs along those roads that have public transportation.

In the evening, take a class at the local community college. Get a degree. Become a MickeyD's manager. Take more classes. Get a Masters'. Become a professional something. Buy yourself a really nice car with the money you've earned.

Oh, and don't be squeezing out kids along the way.

Be a role model for the community rather than a bad example for others to learn from.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:51 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
LOL....you do know there was a time before gaming systems right?And somehow parents kept their children busy...
Sigh....we no longer live in the time before gaming systems

Quote:
$200 should buy enough food for a month.
Okay quick economics lesson here: when you sell a USED item you will NOT get the same price that you paid for it brand NEW especially if the current NEW prices is less than the price you paid for it.

Quote:
I thought we were discussing the 'poor'.
Oh okay well the post I replied to was talking about a family of 4, which I assumed meant children. From what I've heard most adults with no dependents have a hell of a time getting benefits...so are you saying these poor don't have children? If so then I don't understand your response to my comment. The gaming system would be for the children, who have time to play it because the law prevents them from getting jobs and "leeching" of others as you phrase it.

Quote:
Chicken quarters were on sale this past week,less than $6 for 10 pounds,regular price is less than $8 for 10 pounds.
Rice is about $12 for 20 pounds.
Black beans or red beans are a little over $1/pound.
Pasta is about $1/pound.
In season veggies like squash,pole beans and green beans were less than $1/pound.
If you want,you can make your own bread for less than $1 a loaf,but it takes time.
So...30 pounds of chicken would be less than $18 plus tax.
30 pounds of rice $18.
10 pounds of dried beans $12.
30 pounds of fresh veggies $30.
30 pounds of pasta $30.
Wow 30 pounds of fresh veggies for $30...I really do need to shop where you shop. I spend that much for far less at our produce market, which is still less than any grocery stores. Hell I spend about $5 or $6 buying four bell peppers which last about two weeks. Grapes are costly purchase. $4 for a watermelon. Strawberries when I can get them 3 for $5.

But your grocery list is impressive...lets say I pawn my Wii and buy exactly what you listed...I haven't brought any milk (we go through about 2 gallons of milk a week in my house) there's no cereal, no eggs,no bread..these are staples and my household and I've already spent all my Wii money. Maybe i should pawn the CD player out of my car.

Quote:
I have as much idea if it is true or not as you...which is you don't know,you FEEL it isn't true but then why even in good economic times did so many remain on the public dole???
There will ALWAYS be a percentage of people that cheat the system...that is going to be with any system but you can't look at one person and make a determination for all the other people in the group as a reason for not having it. That's like saying "oh he robbed a bank..all men are bank robbers...we need to ban men from banks"

Quote:

I am quite happy,was just outside watching the hummingbirds,looking at the mountains,and talking to some people about buying my tractor...cash of course...
Yes you do seem happy. I complain the most when I'm happiest too.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
You apply for a job at McD's. You ask when a decision will be made on hiring. You explain that you do not have a phone, but will call prior to that time to find the decision. Now walk to Burger King... lather, rinse, repeat. After a couple of steady paychecks, you go and buy a per-minute phone with your own money. Buy the minutes you need and don't fritter them away by chatting with the crew about pickin' up some 40s on the way home. Be as tight with those minutes as you can be and when you've used them up talking to your boss when you need to be reached, you take more of your own money and get some more minutes.
I agree with you if you are applying for those types of jobs. When I was laid off hey were building a BoJangles by my house so I figured I'd apply and earn some cash while I was looking plus it was in walking distance - huge draw since gas was killing me. Told me I was overqualified. Tried it with a dry cleaners, a Chipolte, a data entry company. Same thing.

I ended up going through a temp agency which I did need a cell phone for because they'd call while I was dropping my son of at school and say "can you take a job X,Y,Z and if so, how soon can you get there." or "the client wants to interview you." or "How good are you with this computer program? If I send you the test can you take it now" I once did a phone interview for one job, while I was at Labcorp waiting to be drug tested for another job.

A few times I did miss calls and they'd leave messages, but when I called back they'd already sent someone else.

I'm not trying to make excuses or be a spokesperson for the poor, but as someone who was gainfully employed, with some savings in the bank, who was laid off without notice, and unemployed for several months what you're saying just wasn't realistic. i would have missed a LOT of opportunities for employment.

Having a message phone and calling employers back in 10 minutes, an hour, at the end of the day or tomorrow isn't something I could have afforded to do. For some reason they all expect you to be sitting around on your thumbs waiting for them to call

Old 08-03-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Sigh....we no longer live in the time before gaming systems
So?
Will you go to Hell if your children don't have a gaming system?

Quote:
The gaming system would be for the children, who have time to play it because the law prevents them from getting jobs and "leeching" of others as you phrase it.
LOL....yes because we surely don't have an entire generation of people who sit around all day playing games....

Quote:
Wow 30 pounds of fresh veggies for $30...I really do need to shop where you shop.
Ingles supermarket.

Quote:
I spend that much for far less at our produce market, which is still less than any grocery stores. Hell I spend about $5 or $6 buying four bell peppers which last about two weeks.
Why?A pepper plant is about the easiest thing in the world to grow...

Quote:
Grapes are costly purchase.
Don't buy grapes.
Quote:
$4 for a watermelon.
Don't buy watermelons....

Quote:
Strawberries when I can get them 3 for $5.
You buy in season,when not in season you go without....

Quote:
But your grocery list is impressive...lets say I pawn my Wii and buy exactly what you listed...I haven't brought any milk (we go through about 2 gallons of milk a week in my house)
$7-8 for 2 gallons
Quote:
there's no cereal
Make your own or buy store brand.
Quote:
no eggs
Buy eggs by the flat,much cheaper although they are cheap already.
Quote:
no bread..
Bread is $$$,you can make your own for less than $1 a loaf.

Quote:
these are staples and my household and I've already spent all my Wii money. Maybe i should pawn the CD player out of my car.
Or spongs off others and just buy whatever you want...I can see why so many choose the latter...

Quote:
There will ALWAYS be a percentage of people that cheat the system...that is going to be with any system but you can't look at one person and make a determination for all the other people in the group as a reason for not having it. That's like saying "oh he robbed a bank..all men are bank robbers...we need to ban men from banks"
The solution to cheats isn't to just go 'oh well'....especially with a failing system like food stamps.

Quote:
Yes you do seem happy. I complain the most when I'm happiest too.
You must be quite happy.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
So?
Will you go to Hell if your children don't have a gaming system?.
Yeah and with this comment I am going to stop talking to you because it's clear that the only point of view you have is your own. If you do believe in Hell though, you may want to stop judging people....I heard that's kind of a no-no.

Quote:
You must be quite happy.
I am happy though...played Just Dance 2 with my son and little cousins. They beat me horribly and my arms will probably be sore tomorrow but it was fun Now I'm watching Love & Basketball on BET and eating cherries ($1.99 a pound on sale) so yeah I am quite happy. Thanks for being concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies