Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 09:24 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I know using a gaming system or TV to keep your children busy is poor parenting.

Katiana,do YOU think it is good parenting?
How many kids do you have?

I think using games or TV to keep your kids busy is helpful at times, and not a sign of poor parenting.

How many kids again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 09:25 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,838,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Is it good parenting?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Is it good parenting?
I edited my post above.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

I think using games or TV to keep your kids busy is helpful at times, and not a sign of poor parenting.
I think it is terrible...perhaps the reason american children are ,by and large horrible....quite telling how easily you dismiss having children read a book...

Old 08-03-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I think it is terrible...perhaps the reason american children are ,by and large horrible....quite telling how easily you dismiss having children read a book...
I did no such thing. I was not asked my opinion of books; I was asked about games and TV. What's "telling" is that you like to twist things around and move the goalposts.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-03-2011 at 10:28 PM..

Old 08-03-2011, 10:24 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,346,500 times
Quote:
Is it good parenting?
That is a loaded uestion. Its like asking someone do you think letting your child color while you wash dishes is good parenting. I could see if you let your child idly watch tv or play video games while you do something unrelated to your family b ut I see nothing wrong with letting themm have some time alloted for video games or tv.

And the video games can be great for kids who can't or are just starting to read. My son has a Diego game where he to figure out how to save the animals. It shows him some words, teaches spanish, and he has to jump over holes, climb trees, canoe down rivers....its not a game you can zone out on like Pacman

Old 08-04-2011, 12:39 AM

1,908 posts, read 2,532,483 times
Quote:
Well you should be relieved to know that having a free to you cell phone is now considered your right...well as long as you are 'poor'....

Of course,the people who are ultimately PAYING for your free to you cell phone might have to go without but so what,they are rich...or at least richer than you....
I don't personally have a cell phone - free or not.

It's nice to have easy access to a phone in case of an emergency. It is not always possible to "run next door" for help.
I don't begrudge the poor this NEED.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I don't personally have a cell phone - free or not.

It's nice to have easy access to a phone in case of an emergency. It is not always possible to "run next door" for help.
I don't begrudge the poor this NEED.
Of course not,you aren't paying for it,only those who have cell phones pay for it...

Now it is interesting you think the poor need a cell phone(for free of course) but you yourself do not....

Old 08-04-2011, 12:44 PM

1,908 posts, read 2,532,483 times
Quote:
Of course not,you aren't paying for it,only those who have cell phones pay for it...

Now it is interesting you think the poor need a cell phone(for free of course) but you yourself do not....
I don't care who is paying for the cell phone and service... it is something that in today's world is needed.

I use my landline phone at home. I am hard of hearing and truly hate the way cell phones seem to distort words. I rarely use the phone, I prefer using the internet.

I also choose not to have a cell phone because I am not so connected to anyone that I need to be in constant touch. I enjoy going out and NOT hearing a phone ring. *Might just be my age.*

Old 08-04-2011, 12:57 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,263,813 times
Quote:

That's not true; anyone who has a phone is paying for it through the Universal Service Charge. This also pays for rural phone service. The USC has been around for a VERY long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies