Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 05:27 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately we will always have people that are poor. Some are unable to prosper for one reason or another, some continuously make poor choices, and some lack the drive to do what's necessary to better their situation. I do have one question. Why do we have 12 million people coming here to "do the jobs American's won't do?" With people being poor, there should be no jobs American's won't do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 05:38 AM

435 posts, read 1,520,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Unfortunately we will always have people that are poor. Some are unable to prosper for one reason or another, some continuously make poor choices, and some lack the drive to do what's necessary to better their situation. I do have one question. Why do we have 12 million people coming here to "do the jobs American's won't do?" With people being poor, there should be no jobs American's won't do.

Culture of Lazyness. Also, concerted effort by government to bring down the quality of life.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:37 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Though I'm not a Republican, this is a good analogy for fiscal conservatism.

Quote:
A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many
others her age, she considered herself a liberal Democrat and was very much
in favor of "the redistribution of wealth."

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a staunch Republican, a feeling
she openly expressed. Based on the lectures in which she had participated,
and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for
years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be
his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on
the rich and the addition of more government welfare programs. The
self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth
and she indicated such to her father. He responded by asking how she was
doing in school.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a4.0 GPA, and let
im know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a
very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no
time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn't even have
time for a boyfriend, and didn't really have many college friends because
she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, "How is your friend Audrey doing?"

She replied, "Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes,
she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. She is so popular on
campus; college for her is a blast. She's always invited to all the
parties, and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because
she's too hung over."

Her wise father asked his daughter, "Why don't you go to the Dean's office
and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who has
only a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that w!
would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA."

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired
back, "That wouldn't be fair! I have worked hard for my grades! I've
invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to
nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!"

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, "Welcome to the
Republican party."

Old 08-15-2007, 07:39 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Apparently, there seems to be a notion that aiding the poor would be the same as taking something away from the wealthy, such as their money.
What people have earned is rightfully their property. Naturally, anyone who has put an effort to earn anything will complain when it is taken away.
I don't know where all this came to the idea of a redistribution of wealth.
We pay taxes. Maybe it would be better to distribute the revenues collected by taxes. That would mean different priorities.
Currently, our military involvements are costing billions (not to mention the lives) of tax dollars every month. For a war, started with lies and carried on with dubious objectives, we are throwing our money away, as if we have money to burn. That the war is financed by tax dollars finds little complaint.
That money could have been used for better purposes.
Instead of continually giving money to the poor, we could initiate programs to help them become self-sufficient. Teach basic education and skills to help them find jobs, teach family planning to reduce the numbers of dependents (keep religion out of this, they have no solutions!) and improving the infra-structure to encourage potential employers. People in poverty will not get hired unless there are businesses that hire people. This seems to be a sticking point. How can anyone find a job if no jobs are available? It's not like the employers have a long list of available jobs with a shortage of workers, That is simply not true. The current employment situation in the US is generally not favorable to workers. This works to the great advantgae of employers who can offer low wages and hardly any, or no benefits.
The above analogy in the previous post is not applicable in the situation regarding the poor. Being in a state of poverty is not parties all the time.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:04 AM

932 posts, read 1,676,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Instead of continually giving money to the poor, we could initiate programs to help them become self-sufficient. Teach basic education and skills to help them find jobs, teach family planning to reduce the numbers of dependents (keep religion out of this, they have no solutions!) and improving the infra-structure to encourage potential employers. People in poverty will not get hired unless there are businesses that hire people. This seems to be a sticking point. How can anyone find a job if no jobs are available? It's not like the employers have a long list of available jobs with a shortage of workers, That is simply not true. The current employment situation in the US is generally not favorable to workers. This works to the great advantgae of employers who can offer low wages and hardly any, or no benefits.
The above analogy in the previous post is not applicable in the situation regarding the poor. Being in a state of poverty is not parties all the time.
I agree with every last letter you put into this. And I was going to reply, but your last sentence was exactly what I felt after reading the post.

AmazingJohn, you obviously have your way of thinking how to help the less fortunate. Yet, you still do not understand that many DO WORK! and HARD WORK at that! Labor jobs are completely different from office jobs. Sitting at a desk in an air-conditioned office is way easier than standing in the heat.

And the post about college, Its all about how you manage your time. I go to parties and I think I am consisdered popular on my campus, but I am the vice-president of an organization. I schedule my classes around the time I want them so that I can go to work at a mall. And there are no easy classes at Temple. Plus I have maintained my 3.5 GPA, this is my senior year coming up.
Those who have no social life, are not apart of any organiztions and do not want to go out are missing the whole aspect of college life. That can also hinder some people from getting jobs because jobs want to see leadership skills and if you are able to be in a friendly environment that is fast-paced. IMO, that shows that they have bad time management skills and can not have fun.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:13 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Apparently, there seems to be a notion that aiding the poor would be the same as taking something away from the wealthy, such as their money.
What people have earned is rightfully their property. Naturally, anyone who has put an effort to earn anything will complain when it is taken away.
I don't know where all this came to the idea of a redistribution of wealth.
We pay taxes. Maybe it would be better to distribute the revenues collected by taxes. That would mean different priorities.
Currently, our military involvements are costing billions (not to mention the lives) of tax dollars every month. For a war, started with lies and carried on with dubious objectives, we are throwing our money away, as if we have money to burn. That the war is financed by tax dollars finds little complaint.
That money could have been used for better purposes.

Preaching reason and common sense again Visvaldis , what an avant-garde concept ! Go and slap your own wrist right now and stand in the corner until it is all expunged out of your system !

Old 08-15-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
I agree with every last letter you put into this. And I was going to reply, but your last sentence was exactly what I felt after reading the post.

AmazingJohn, you obviously have your way of thinking how to help the less fortunate. Yet, you still do not understand that many DO WORK! and HARD WORK at that! Labor jobs are completely different from office jobs. Sitting at a desk in an air-conditioned office is way easier than standing in the heat.

And the post about college, Its all about how you manage your time. I go to parties and I think I am consisdered popular on my campus, but I am the vice-president of an organization. I schedule my classes around the time I want them so that I can go to work at a mall. And there are no easy classes at Temple. Plus I have maintained my 3.5 GPA, this is my senior year coming up.
Those who have no social life, are not apart of any organiztions and do not want to go out are missing the whole aspect of college life. That can also hinder some people from getting jobs because jobs want to see leadership skills and if you are able to be in a friendly environment that is fast-paced. IMO, that shows that they have bad time management skills and can not have fun.
It seems that you missed the whole point. This analogy is NOT about college, thus the reason for calling it an analogy. It is about taking part of your hard-earned wages, (in this case your GPA) and providing it to others who are lazy and don't work (lowering it to 2.5 and giving it to someone who doesn't put effort toward their studies and has a GPA of 1.5 and raising it to 2.5)and calling it being compassionate and fair.
BTW, congratulations on you accomplishments.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
I'm not sure how much experience you've had in the job market, but sitting in an air conditioned office can be as exhausting, or even more so, than digging ditches in the heat. I know, I've done both. You seem to think that I'm some elitist who was born into a wealthy family and has only worked jobs that were given to me. I was born into a low income, furniture/textile working family in a small town in N.C. My Dad had an 8th grade education and my Mom a 10th grade education. They couldn't afford to send me to college, so I got my education in the Navy and continued it once I was medically discharged. I know what its like to sweat in a furniture factory 8-10 hours a day, with no medical insurance and one week of vacation per year. So, I know what opportunities are available and how people can take advantage of them with a little ambition and the right motivations.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:55 AM

932 posts, read 1,676,953 times
Thank You very much AmazingJohn. I knew that it wasn't about college but so many people believe that.

But to add to the last paragraph, yes, there are a zillion ways to get ahead, just some lack the resources to get them. Also a lot of people do not want to go into the military now because of the war. That is the senitment that my male friends and I also had and still have toward that way of gaining a college degree. My mother wanted me to join the Air Force, but I wasn't having it. She claimed that they do not go to war, yet my best-friends brother is in the Air Force and is in Iraq now.

There are people in the middle states who live in poverty. There are no jobs there, no resources, nothing. We can change that by giving them the chance at projects like Visvaldis stated.

Last edited by LoveMiiorHateMii; 08-15-2007 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: Adding on.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:09 AM

435 posts, read 1,520,626 times
I agree we need to help the poor, but also, we need to keep some things in mind:

People are always going to have hierarchies of wealth. I support things like Universal Health Care, Free education/Grants for Uni, More Public Transit, Section 8 assistance, Food Stamps, etc and feel we should have these things expanded. But people need to put down the bong and come to grips with the fact that wealth is earned and if someone wants to work so he could live in Malibu and send his kids to Yale and yacht around the world that his god-given American right. Everyone waxes poetic about how "Europe has no wealth inequality". Wanna know why? Becuase Europe has no wealth period. Is that what you want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies