Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 11:21 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,653,873 times

Advertisements

What do you think poverty in our country will be like in the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 02:28 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,701 times
In the future? What future? Who's to say that there will be a future at the rate that we're going. Example: pollution, wars, genocide, homicide, suicide and the ever growing presense of hatred. If we have a future, my prediction is that it will look something like a constant riot/civil war. I see more prisons being built and the population making up those prisons will be the middle and poor classes. Only the rich will thrive, control and dominate. No worries, we will never reach that point. We'll all be dead before this happens.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:49 PM

147 posts, read 690,475 times
way to think on the positive side buddy

Old 08-10-2007, 03:59 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyt937 View Post
way to think on the positive side buddy
Positive side? I call it like I see it. We can erase factual data and pretend we're living on Jupiter but that wouldn't do us any good. That's THE PROBLEM in our country noone wants to look at things for what they are. Somehow existing in denial brings us comfort from the shattering reality.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:04 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
[QUOTE..... We'll all be dead before this happens.[/quote]

Speak for yourself. Not without a fight anyway.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:09 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Without the proper mix of limited universal direct public support (welfare) with an emphasis (maybe a requirement) on personal responsibility with regards to only having children if you're willing to raise, love, educate and discipline them, not much will change.

The state can't take the place of responsible parents and expect to turn out successful, responsible citizens. That's a pipe dream.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:24 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
This thread was killed before it started.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:36 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
If people are poor in this country it must be because they want to be because it's too much trouble to do something to get out of it.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:11 PM

932 posts, read 1,677,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If people are poor in this country it must be because they want to be because it's too much trouble to do something to get out of it.
Unfortunately some people are not poor because they want to be. Some people do not live in areas that are economically stable to support the population. Coal Miners do not make a lot of money, yet they risk their lives everyday to bring the whole US coal to power our homes. People in this Country fail to realize that being poor does not mean that you do not work. It means that the work that is available to them does not pay enough. (That is why they are raising the mimimum wage). It is a cheap excuse for people to say they are poor because they want to be instead of waking up to the fact that it is hard to get out of certain situations. You would think that a lot of poor people do not want to be thay way. I do not think that a poor man, goes home everyday from his minimum wage job to his family and can not give them the food that they want but what they can afford, thinks that its is great that they live the way they do. Also, I believe that poorer people have more morals and are more optimistic about life than someone who has everything. Look at Paris Hilton, Nicole Ritchie, and Lindsay Lohan. They had everything yet, they wasted their lives on drugs and partying while the rest of America goes to work everyday. If these women did not have their families, they would just be average joes.

Again, every poor person does not sit on the couch and watch tv all day. They work and work hard to support their families in occupations that you and I take for granted.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:48 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,168 times
Lmao....The working poor is growing by the millions. People kill me with the lazy=poor talk. Yeah okay i'm guessing all these people defaulting on mortgages are lazy bums....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies