U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 12:57 PM

20,548 posts, read 11,210,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Does this mean they're ready to stop playing juvenile games and do something constructive?
Highly unlikely.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 12:58 PM

199 posts, read 203,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Not one credible economist is saying we will default and everyone I have heard says the debt ceiling must be raised.
Casper
Imagine that. No mainstream economists want to rock the boat. Just like they were silent about the incoming doom of 2008 economic collapse.

$14 trillion+ hole buddy, how do you think America will get out that? Does every employed Americans have $100,000 lying around to pay that? Nope, not even close. Default is in the card, that's how it always play out, historically.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:34 PM

48,371 posts, read 20,894,413 times
Quote:
The GOP controlled House needs to work with the Dems in the House AND work with the Dems and Repubs in the Senate Prior to passing a Bill in the House. That is IF they really want to get it passed through the Senate and sent on to the Whitehouse. That is how it is supposed to work, that is not what is hapening, meaning Bills go back and forth between the House and Senate, which is wasting time. Either work together or get out of the way, something the Voters can cure.
Casper
Kinda like the health care bill?

The House is doing what the voters want them to do. What a way to be an elected Representative.

I don't see the dems in the Senate trying to work with the repubs.

it is always the same with the dem supporters. When the dems are in charge they don't include the repubs, don't work with them, just ramrod everything through. But, when they aren't in charge the repubs should work with them.

We have seen this movie before.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:52 PM

25,230 posts, read 15,702,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

The House is doing what the voters want them to do. What a way to be an elected Representative.

it is always the same with the dem supporters. When the dems are in charge they don't include the repubs, don't work with them, just ramrod everything through. But, when they aren't in charge the repubs should work with them.

Yes we have, it is called "two wrongs do not make a right".
Casper

Old 07-20-2011, 01:57 PM

9,734 posts, read 8,984,091 times
Quote:
The GOP controlled House needs to work with the Dems in the House AND work with the Dems and Repubs in the Senate Prior to passing a Bill in the House. That is IF they really want to get it passed through the Senate and sent on to the Whitehouse. That is how it is supposed to work, that is not what is hapening, meaning Bills go back and forth between the House and Senate, which is wasting time. Either work together or get out of the way, something the Voters can cure.
Casper

We need to REPEAL the 17th Amendment and go back to having senators appointed by the State legislatures. They are supposed to be representing the "will of the state" they are from. Today, they act like a royal "prince" and pretend to represent "national issues".

When states elected senators, they exercised the power of instruction—they could direct their senators to vote a certain way on important matters.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:18 PM

22,232 posts, read 16,739,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

70% or more want a compromise solution to the debt issue. CC & BS is not a compromise in anybody's mind. Also HC Reform is favorded by most of America.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:36 PM

664 posts, read 726,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
But one must wonder why they are doing it. It's just more tea bagger lunacy and proves, once again, that the GOP has gone off the deep end. From Reuters:

TEABAGGERS: "We do nid no college educated eco-nom-isists tell'in us wa'mak's synce."
I love it, the liberal playbook right there. Make fun of your opponent, the party of love and tolerance at work. Yes, let's keep right on doing the exact same thing that got us into this mess, spend more than we take in. Weren't you liberals screaming over the spending during the Bush administration? Yet, now that a D is in office and spending even more, it's OK all of a sudden. I ****ing hate this political partisan bull****. Either it's OK to spend like a drunken sailor, no matter the ****ing party, or it's not OK. Make up your ****ing minds, you stupid liberal idiots. See, I can play the name calling card as well.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:23 PM

19,790 posts, read 12,896,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn311601 View Post
I love it, the liberal playbook right there. Make fun of your opponent, the party of love and tolerance at work. Yes, let's keep right on doing the exact same thing that got us into this mess, spend more than we take in. Weren't you liberals screaming over the spending during the Bush administration? Yet, now that a D is in office and spending even more, it's OK all of a sudden. I ****ing hate this political partisan bull****. Either it's OK to spend like a drunken sailor, no matter the ****ing party, or it's not OK. Make up your ****ing minds, you stupid liberal idiots. See, I can play the name calling card as well.
When in my car, sometimes I use the gas and sometimes I use the brakes. That doesn't make me inconsistent. It just means that under different circumstances different actions are required.

To voice that fiscal and monetary policy should be the same, whether unemployment is 5% in a growing period or unemployment is 9.2% in a recession, is idiotic. Bush should have generating surpluses in the (relatively) good years just so that we could be stimulating the economy with those surpluses now -- instead of having to borrow money. That's just ECO 101.

Instead, Bush lowered taxes on the rich and generated deficits that we now have nothing to show for it.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:33 PM

22,232 posts, read 16,739,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
When in my car, sometimes I use the gas and sometimes I use the brakes. That doesn't make me inconsistent. It just means that under different circumstances different actions are required.

To voice that fiscal and monetary policy should be the same, whether unemployment is 5% in a growing period or unemployment is 9.2% in a recession, is idiotic. Bush should have generating surpluses in the (relatively) good years just so that we could be stimulating the economy with those surpluses now -- instead of having to borrow money. That's just ECO 101.

Instead, Bush lowered taxes on the rich and generated deficits that we now have nothing to show for it.
Bush just dived up the US wealth to his pals. Nothing new there for a "good" Heritage Foundation Conservative. He just over did it to a near collapse.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:44 PM

48,371 posts, read 20,894,413 times
Quote:
Yes we have, it is called "two wrongs do not make a right".
Casper
I don't recall many dems clamoring for the dems to work with the repubs when the dems had control. Which your statement is exactly what I was posting about.

In the house, he who has the majority, rules. it has been that way for years and years and years.

"We have to vote on it to find out what is in it". Sound familiar?

Last edited by Quick Enough; 07-20-2011 at 05:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies