U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 04:09 PM

9,986 posts, read 12,784,459 times

Advertisements

Interesting. We all know the Republicans are more white, with few immigrants or minorities. And the whites are typically wealthier and more educated than the newer immigrants and minorities (I know, many exceptions exist, but bear with me...)

But among the immigrants/minorities and lower socioeconomic class working class whites, the immigrants/minorities vote in their own self interest much more consistently. Uneducated, socially conservative whites are always voting to help a billionaire get richer and to dismantle union bargaining rights, do away with welfare, fight single payer health care, argue passionately for a tax cut for Donald Trump,etc. None of this group has a great chance of becoming upper middle class, little on a billionaires, so it is pretty amazing to see such self-defeating behavior. It is like seeing a knife fight between a the Hulk and PeeWee Herman and handing an Uzzi to the Hulk!

In this comparison, the immigrants/minorities look like the smarter group..!

What is amazing to me is how rare it is to see real working class white guys who still fight for their rights to a fair wage and benefits (like the Irish,Czechs,Italians, and Poles of Pittsburgh, or the Irish of Butte, MT). The notion that the mining bosses would look out for the little guy was dispelled in the late 1800s. But here we are again.

Sam Walton is a hero!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 08:37 PM

6,993 posts, read 5,931,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
So, democrats are less judgemental than republicans? In my experience, I've dealt with far more judgemental people on the left side of politics than on the right side. For example, one of my best friends, who has been an open lesbian since she was 16, has only recently been back in communication with her parents, who stopped talking to her 12 years ago because of what they consider her "choice." Btw, they are both school teachers and both vote democrat on every issue. Seems pretty judgemental to me.

Btw, the typical liberal viewpoint of "redistributing" wealth is, at its core, extremely judgemental. At the very heart of the idea is that the people espousing this theory are better than the ones they are supposedly trying to help. As my grandfather used to say, I don't mind giving someone a hand up, but I'm not much on giving hand outs.
What?? The people suggesting that others might need some financial help are "better than the ones they are supposedly trying to help?" Says who??

Old 07-20-2011, 09:39 PM

9,087 posts, read 9,164,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
What?? The people suggesting that others might need some financial help are "better than the ones they are supposedly trying to help?" Says who??
Says the fact that pretty much everyone I know who is trying to redistribute wealth to the "needy" wouldn't let welfare recipients in their yard, much less in their house.

Also, every single argument I've ever had with someone about the broken welfare system has degenerated into the welfare proponent saying something along the lines of "they can't help the way they are." That is quite possibly the most patronizing term I've ever heard, and screams "I'm better than them" from the rooftops.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:47 PM

34,396 posts, read 37,897,301 times
I don't know. Apparently Republicans are more likely to have 4 year degrees. People receiving advanced degrees (beyond 4 years) are more likely to be Democrats. According to the same Wiki article.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:40 AM

9,087 posts, read 9,164,988 times
Again, why is anyone using Wikipedia as a source? While I admit it's entertaining to read, it has no veracity.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:53 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,657,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
By and large the core of the Republican Party is far wealthier and thus much more likely to be college educated than the working class core of the Democratic Party. This is just another example of the success the Republicans are having in the ongoing class war. They are definitely winning.
Yep, no taxes on the rich

Old 07-21-2011, 06:58 AM

24,245 posts, read 22,039,226 times
Are there any numbers backing up the op's claim in the first place?

I also wonder if there are differences in the subjects liberals and conservatives study

Old 07-21-2011, 07:21 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 16,729,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Are there any numbers backing up the op's claim in the first place?

I also wonder if there are differences in the subjects liberals and conservatives study
It seems liberals study medicine, engineering, law etc. etc. at Princeton, Harvard, MIT

Conservatives "study" basketball, football, religion at Duke,NC state, UNC,

Let's face it much more interesting watching a ball game on a Saturday than watching some doctor overcharge you for prescribing some medicine.

BTW, no facts on this post just one observers opinion.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:25 AM

25,838 posts, read 15,397,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Or, perhaps the educated on the dem side educate themselves in something other than how to make money? Maybe the humanities, education, science, math, etc. You know, all the things that make you more human and lead to greater critical thinking skills, both of which lead to greater compassion and far less judgment for your fellow man.
Right.................

So you are saying that although a greater percentage of republicans are college educated, the democrats embrace the worthless degrees that will allow them to be highly educated employees in the fast food industry?

All this "compassion" that liberals "feel" for their fellow man is empty sympathy, as liberals rarely will donate their capital or time to the "causes" they hold dear. Ever ask a liberal for a donation to anything? They are shocked that they would be asked to contribute some of THEIR money to a cause- that is what government is for.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:35 AM

36,428 posts, read 37,263,083 times
Democrats court dependents. Keep giving them long term government freebies so they vote Democrat and keep the goodies coming. The only winners in the "War on Poverty" are Democrat politicians and victimology guys who derive their power by keeping people down and dependent on them. Who are the people who need long term freebies besides disabled people? Who quits high school? Who pops out babies they can't afford knowing the government will take care of them with welfare, food stamps and subsidized housing? Who are the drug burn outs panhandling between drug runs when they aren't committing crimes to get money for their next fix? They're Democrats. They always conveniently forget that large uneducated underclass that they keep down and dependent on them long term, and who also comprise the Democrat party, when they tout their party's so-called great intelligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies