U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:38 AM

44,255 posts, read 59,125,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
So does this mean Republicans now have respect for higher education, or education in general? I sure haven't seen much evidence of this over the last several years.
Yeah, as in go get it yourself. Not try to forcefeed it down the throats of those who can't (or purposely don't) appreciate it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 07:44 AM

6,993 posts, read 5,937,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Says the fact that pretty much everyone I know who is trying to redistribute wealth to the "needy" wouldn't let welfare recipients in their yard, much less in their house.

Also, every single argument I've ever had with someone about the broken welfare system has degenerated into the welfare proponent saying something along the lines of "they can't help the way they are." That is quite possibly the most patronizing term I've ever heard, and screams "I'm better than them" from the rooftops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Right.................

So you are saying that although a greater percentage of republicans are college educated, the democrats embrace the worthless degrees that will allow them to be highly educated employees in the fast food industry?

All this "compassion" that liberals "feel" for their fellow man is empty sympathy, as liberals rarely will donate their capital or time to the "causes" they hold dear. Ever ask a liberal for a donation to anything? They are shocked that they would be asked to contribute some of THEIR money to a cause- that is what government is for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Democrats court dependents. Keep giving them long term government freebies so they vote Democrat and keep the goodies coming. The only winners in the "War on Poverty" are Democrat politicians and victimology guys who derive their power by keeping people down and dependent on them. Who are the people who need long term freebies besides disabled people? Who quits high school? Who pops out babies they can't afford knowing the government will take care of them with welfare, food stamps and subsidized housing? Who are the drug burn outs panhandling between drug runs when they aren't committing crimes to get money for their next fix? They're Democrats. They always conveniently forget that large uneducated underclass that they keep down and dependent on them long term, and who also comprise the Democrat party, when they tout their party's so-called great intelligence.
Three different rightie posters quoting their very prejudicial opinions as absolutes. I see no supporting FACTS for any of your posts, which makes them worthless RWNJ opinions.

So very typical....

FWIW:Study: Are Liberals Smarter Than Conservatives? - TIME

Old 07-21-2011, 07:58 AM

48,448 posts, read 20,930,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
So does this mean Republicans now have respect for higher education, or education in general? I sure haven't seen much evidence of this over the last several years.
We all now there a lot of "things" you haven't seen over the years. Take off the blinders of hate and you might learn something.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:56 AM

9,104 posts, read 9,184,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Three different rightie posters quoting their very prejudicial opinions as absolutes. I see no supporting FACTS for any of your posts, which makes them worthless RWNJ opinions.

So very typical....

FWIW:Study: Are Liberals Smarter Than Conservatives? - TIME
Considering that the entire premise of this post is based on the opinion of the OP and the opinions of whoever wrote the Wikipedia article, pointing out that other people are posting their opinions is fairly redundant.

Remember, liberalism and conservatism, along with any other -ism, are nothing but a system of belief, which, at the core, are based on personal opinions.

FWIW, I don't qualify as a rightie or a leftie. I tend to be fiscally conservative, but I'm not against welfare - only the welfare system that we currently have. As soon as they fix it to make sure that it isn't being abused, I'll gladly support it. Luckily I live in a state that has just passed a bill to make drug testing a requirement for welfare. It's a start. I'm not against paying taxes, I just want the taxes to be balanced across the spectrum. Socially, I lean toward live and let live. I support gay marriage, I don't care enough about abortion to be either for or against it, and I'm all for legalization of marijuana. I think the war on drugs is the stupidest war America has ever engaged in.

If you'd like to call me a rightie, feel free, but I'd say most right-wingers wouldn't want me representing them

Btw, thanks for the link to the article, however it doesn't really do any better than Wikipedia to answer the question of numbers. Personally, it is my opinion that the degree of education doesn't make nearly as much difference in liberalism vs. conservatism as your upbringing. In general, from personal experience, people raised conservative tend to be conservative, people raised liberal tend to be liberal. The degree of liberalism or conservatism may be affected by education, but the core belief system is instilled long before we reach college age.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:10 AM

6,993 posts, read 5,937,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Considering that the entire premise of this post is based on the opinion of the OP and the opinions of whoever wrote the Wikipedia article, pointing out that other people are posting their opinions is fairly redundant.

Remember, liberalism and conservatism, along with any other -ism, are nothing but a system of belief, which, at the core, are based on personal opinions.

FWIW, I don't qualify as a rightie or a leftie. I tend to be fiscally conservative, but I'm not against welfare - only the welfare system that we currently have. As soon as they fix it to make sure that it isn't being abused, I'll gladly support it. Luckily I live in a state that has just passed a bill to make drug testing a requirement for welfare. It's a start. I'm not against paying taxes, I just want the taxes to be balanced across the spectrum. Socially, I lean toward live and let live. I support gay marriage, I don't care enough about abortion to be either for or against it, and I'm all for legalization of marijuana. I think the war on drugs is the stupidest war America has ever engaged in.

If you'd like to call me a rightie, feel free, but I'd say most right-wingers wouldn't want me representing them

Btw, thanks for the link to the article, however it doesn't really do any better than Wikipedia to answer the question of numbers.
Which was my point.

Quote:
Personally, it is my opinion that the degree of education doesn't make nearly as much difference in liberalism vs. conservatism as your upbringing. In general, from personal experience, people raised conservative tend to be conservative, people raised liberal tend to be liberal. The degree of liberalism or conservatism may be affected by education, but the core belief system is instilled long before we reach college age.
It is my opinion that reasonable, educated people do not make blanket statements that damn large groups of people without supporting evidence. Go back and read the posts I quoted. All made absolute assertions re liberals/democrats that gave the reader far more info about the poster than about the aforementioned liberals/democrats.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:22 AM

9,986 posts, read 12,798,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Right.................

So you are saying that although a greater percentage of republicans are college educated, the democrats embrace the worthless degrees that will allow them to be highly educated employees in the fast food industry?

All this "compassion" that liberals "feel" for their fellow man is empty sympathy, as liberals rarely will donate their capital or time to the "causes" they hold dear. Ever ask a liberal for a donation to anything? They are shocked that they would be asked to contribute some of THEIR money to a cause- that is what government is for.
Wow. You managed to slam the intelligence and character of your fellow citizens, with no basis whatsoever. I am sorry to say it does not make you look very smart or very generous yourself.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:32 AM

25,893 posts, read 15,447,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Wow. You managed to slam the intelligence and character of your fellow citizens, with no basis whatsoever. I am sorry to say it does not make you look very smart or very generous yourself.

Hey, the truth hurts. Dems have lower average IQs and are as tight as a drum- they will not donate a dime to charity themseves. Liberals THINK of themselves as being compassionate and charitable. The problem is - that is all they do about it- think about it.

ParaPundit: IQ And Voting For The Dominant Party

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...beral_giv.html

Old 07-21-2011, 10:36 AM

9,734 posts, read 8,989,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't know. Apparently Republicans are more likely to have 4 year degrees. People receiving advanced degrees (beyond 4 years) are more likely to be Democrats. According to the same Wiki article.
Advanced degrees are a waste of time and money unless you are going into teaching.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:20 PM

48,448 posts, read 20,930,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Or, perhaps the educated on the dem side educate themselves in something other than how to make money? Maybe the humanities, education, science, math, etc. You know, all the things that make you more human and lead to greater critical thinking skills, both of which lead to greater compassion and far less judgment for your fellow man.
Sounds like liberal elitism to me. All those things are well and good but, how many jobs do they create? Jobs, you know the thing that everyone is complaining because there aren't any.

Are you saying creating jobs doesn't help mankind? How many jobs are created by studying the humanities. Knowledge is good as long as you can use that knowledge. Knowledge just for sake of knowledge only makes the person feel good.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:43 PM

11,456 posts, read 13,653,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I read on Wikipedia that Republicans have a higher rate of Bachelor degree holders.
Speaking of education....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies