U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 04:28 AM

6,941 posts, read 8,933,020 times

Advertisements

But why are the most educated metros in the country liberal? I read on Wikipedia that Republicans have a higher rate of Bachelor degree holders.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 04:51 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,503,688 times
Quote:
Republicans Are More Likely to be College Educated Than Democrats
Better looking too!

Old 07-20-2011, 07:20 AM

25,712 posts, read 15,333,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Let's not confuse Republican with religious crackpot, anti-intellectual, paranoid, gun-toting hick.

The problem is that liberals view all republicans in that manner.

Why are there more college educated republicans than democrats? Because those who embrace the sentiments of handouts and dependency will tend to be those who are less motivated and dependent. While there are many college educated democrats, the dependent componant of the democratic party will tend to be less motivated and less educated, on the average.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:26 AM

41,478 posts, read 55,716,370 times
By and large the core of the Republican Party is far wealthier and thus much more likely to be college educated than the working class core of the Democratic Party. This is just another example of the success the Republicans are having in the ongoing class war. They are definitely winning.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:37 AM

6,992 posts, read 5,924,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The problem is that liberals view all republicans in that manner.

Why are there more college educated republicans than democrats? Because those who embrace the sentiments of handouts and dependency will tend to be those who are less motivated and dependent. While there are many college educated democrats, the dependent componant of the democratic party will tend to be less motivated and less educated, on the average.
Or, perhaps the educated on the dem side educate themselves in something other than how to make money? Maybe the humanities, education, science, math, etc. You know, all the things that make you more human and lead to greater critical thinking skills, both of which lead to greater compassion and far less judgment for your fellow man.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:37 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,175,036 times
on the continuum of education, liberals are more represented at the ends of the curve. That is, poorly educated and those with graduate degrees are more liberal.

Those with basic 4 year educations tilt slightly republican IIRC.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:23 AM

9,013 posts, read 9,133,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Or, perhaps the educated on the dem side educate themselves in something other than how to make money? Maybe the humanities, education, science, math, etc. You know, all the things that make you more human and lead to greater critical thinking skills, both of which lead to greater compassion and far less judgment for your fellow man.
So, democrats are less judgemental than republicans? In my experience, I've dealt with far more judgemental people on the left side of politics than on the right side. For example, one of my best friends, who has been an open lesbian since she was 16, has only recently been back in communication with her parents, who stopped talking to her 12 years ago because of what they consider her "choice." Btw, they are both school teachers and both vote democrat on every issue. Seems pretty judgemental to me.

Btw, the typical liberal viewpoint of "redistributing" wealth is, at its core, extremely judgemental. At the very heart of the idea is that the people espousing this theory are better than the ones they are supposedly trying to help. As my grandfather used to say, I don't mind giving someone a hand up, but I'm not much on giving hand outs.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:46 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,805,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
on the continuum of education, liberals are more represented at the ends of the curve. That is, poorly educated and those with graduate degrees are more liberal.

Those with basic 4 year educations tilt slightly republican IIRC.
Once again, we are confusing liberals with Democrats.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:01 PM

20,950 posts, read 17,811,662 times
This really comes as no surprise to me.

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-20-2011 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 07-20-2011, 04:04 PM

26,684 posts, read 26,943,755 times
So does this mean Republicans now have respect for higher education, or education in general? I sure haven't seen much evidence of this over the last several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies