Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:12 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
-This is just a heat wave that may break all of the records.

The massive floods in Australia last year were just floods.
The floods in Pakistan in the last 18 months was just a flood.
The record breaking floods in America this year aren't that abnormal. No climate change model predicted increased precipitation in the mid-west! I mean, they always get a lot of snow, right? How many 500 year floods do you want?
And drought! Now how about the droughts? Drought is normal for most of Texas. Wildfires? pffft. It's nothing. Those record breaking wildfires are normal.
Wildfires are normal for AZ and NM. Yeah sure, like cousin Texas, they've had record breaking wildfires this year, but hell, it's just a wildfire.
Doesn't MN always have heat indexes of 115? Isn't that normal for MN? ND, SD?
Floods in Montana. chit happens.

Yes, we're in a heatwave. It happens. And record breaking floods happen and record breaking wildfires happen and it's normal that they all happen with more intensity and more frequency.
We're also exiting a strong La Niña this year which explains all the flooding that's been going on around the world. This isn't anything new at all. When we have a summer with the South being deluged with floods and it happens to me an El Niño year, I bet you'll say that's evidence of climate change as well. Well, heck, the ENSO changes constantly! It's never static for long. Our weather here in the U.S. is closely linked to what happens in the equatorial and tropical Pacific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 10:03 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:

The record breaking floods in America this year aren't that abnormal. No climate change model predicted increased precipitation in the mid-west! I mean, they always get a lot of snow, right? How many 500 year floods do you want?
And drought! Now how about the droughts? Drought is normal for most of Texas. Wildfires? pffft. It's nothing. Those record breaking wildfires are normal.
Wildfires are normal for AZ and NM. Yeah sure, like cousin Texas, they've had record breaking wildfires this year, but hell, it's just a wildfire.

Yes, we're in a heatwave. It happens. And record breaking floods happen and record breaking wildfires happen and it's normal that they all happen with more intensity and more frequency.

Anecdotal correlations and generalizations are that of gossips and political agendas.

If you would like to provide some actual support for a position and bring some data to the table to make your point, I am sure many of us would be happy to discuss?

Or, we can continue on rumor mongering like the news channels. /shrug

Old 07-21-2011, 10:25 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Anecdotal correlations and generalizations are that of gossips and political agendas.

If you would like to provide some actual support for a position and bring some data to the table to make your point, I am sure many of us would be happy to discuss?

Or, we can continue on rumor mongering like the news channels. /shrug
I've watched The Weather Channel since the 1990s and I can tell you we are seeing what conditions are normally like during a La Niña cycle especially one that's strong as the one we have. When it's El Niño the reverse will happen in the South and that part of the country will be rated as very moist or exceptionally moist on the Palmer Drought Severity Index just like the Upper Midwest is. Australia will also go through drought just like every other El Niño year in recent times.

To sum it up, the conditions we are seeing in the U.S. today is what we should expect from a La Niña episode in the ENSO cycle. It has ZERO to do with man-made climate change, much less CO2

Old 07-22-2011, 09:00 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
We need to terraform Mars someday.
What for? We trashed this one, why another? And I am no globalist.

Dang hot here TODAY 106 in the sun, 89 in the deep shade, and a blastin 125 inside my van, but that's just today.

Since June 21st I have been counting days to winter. It's almost time to get the storm windows back on too.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:16 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
What for? We trashed this one, why another? And I am no globalist.

Dang hot here TODAY 106 in the sun, 89 in the deep shade, and a blastin 125 inside my van, but that's just today.

Since June 21st I have been counting days to winter. It's almost time to get the storm windows back on too.

and such a brutal winter it will be it's even going to snow in miami

Old 07-22-2011, 09:24 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,069 times
The strong La Nina has driven much of this wacky weather we've experienced for the last year and half, I agree. What drove the La Nina to be so intense this time? What drives the warming water in the oceans? Many questions, and many questions are being answered with continued research. There are too many extreme weather related disasters happening across the globe for any of us to not question what factors are driving them.

Here is a link to an interesting article that puts some perspective on the situation.
Get Used to New Weather Extremes | Mother Jones

Old 07-22-2011, 09:49 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
and such a brutal winter it will be it's even going to snow in miami
In NH winter was about normal, It was cold there was snow, but it was no record for here by my opinion.

Around winter 07 we had some snow mista' on the flat never plowed field that snow was 6' 6 inchs. Last winter the snow never amounted to over 4 feet at one time.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:50 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:

I hate to break this news to you but there is very clear evidence by reputable scientists who have written peer reviewed papers on the subject that there is NO increase in the number and intensity of flooding, in the number and intensity of droughts, in the number and intensity of tornado's or Hurricanes.

PEER REVIEWED LITERATURE clearly states that these things are NOT on the rise.

in fact, we have seen a dramatic decrease in the number and intensity of hurricanes on a global bases.... at 30 year low in fact.

We are not seeing anything unusual...at least according to the actual scientists who study this stuff....

Old 07-22-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Yes, 1 degree Fahrenheit is less than one degree Celsius. However, when it comes to the climate, it is a large difference.

Listen, you are the one who "needs to do some more studying" if you don't know yourself.

If you want a real dialect, act civil. So far, you have not managed that. You have managed to post inaccurate information, though.

ok.... back to the subject, you spoke of other indicators of AGW... Please share with us what those other indicators are.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
The strong La Nina has driven much of this wacky weather we've experienced for the last year and half, I agree. What drove the La Nina to be so intense this time? What drives the warming water in the oceans? Many questions, and many questions are being answered with continued research. There are too many extreme weather related disasters happening across the globe for any of us to not question what factors are driving them.

Here is a link to an interesting article that puts some perspective on the situation.
Get Used to New Weather Extremes | Mother Jones

Again, the scientific literature says there are not too many extreme weather events happening.

and you do know that La Nina is an event of cooling oceans right? you do know that AGW scientists are wondering where the heat in the oceans is right now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies