Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 04:51 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
I can never decide if it is arrogance or ignorance (maybe it's both?)
that makes a 21st-century person deny that the way we live
is indeed
having a profound effect on our environment.
I can never decide if it is arrogance or ignorance (maybe both?) that, makes a 21st century person think that the way we live can have a profound effect on our environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 09:11 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Let's see 48 states experience a heat wave and this equals a global effect.

It starts to appear global when you find out that Britain and the rest of Europe are suffering a 100 year drought and the smoke is getting thick in Moscow and much of Russia because the fire season got an early start in Russian forests. What we have to start grasping is this sort of summer is a taste of the new normal and in a few decades won't even be considered a major heat wave the best is yet to come.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:32 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,381,706 times
LOL! in the winter warmers start yelling weather is not climate!

in the summer they start yelling SEE ITS HOT! Global Warming is HERE!

I think they are all schizophrenic

which reminds me of my favorite poem

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Im schizophrenic
and so am I

Old 07-20-2011, 09:33 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
It starts to appear global when you find out that Britain and the rest of Europe are suffering a 100 year drought and the smoke is getting thick in Moscow and much of Russia because the fire season got an early start in Russian forests. What we have to start grasping is this sort of summer is a taste of the new normal and in a few decades won't even be considered a major heat wave the best is yet to come.
was it global warming when Russia was having one of the coldest winters in living memory this past winter?

was it global warming when Britain was doing the same?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:45 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Well 48 of the states are experiencing his heatwave. It could have been predicted if only we listened to Al Gore..
Yeah, it's warm out almost as warm as it was in 1933.

Weather Journal: NYC Heat Wave to Boil Record Books | News Updates (http://newsupdates.tk/weather-journal-nyc-heat-wave-to-boil-record-books - broken link)

Quote:
The National Weather Service said Central Park just missed the date's all-time high of 95 degrees, set in 1933. It reached 94 degrees in the park at 4:22 pm LaGuardia Airport broke its record, reaching 97 degrees at 6:53 pm The previous all-time high

The National Weather Service said Central Park just missed the date's all-time high of 95 degrees, set in 1933. It reached 94 degrees in the park at 4:22 pm LaGuardia Airport broke its record, reaching 97 degrees at 6:53 pm The previous all-time high.
Yeah, an airport. All concrete or dark colored asphalt blacktop that doesn't reflect heat, jet engines and a somewhat closed environment and we're all supposed to buy into the idea man is causing this heat wave?

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/201...-like-one.html

Quote:
The day's low was 72 degrees at 4 a.m. And temperatures shot up from there, hitting 81 by 9 a.m. and 93 by noon.

The record for Wednesday's date was 98 degrees, set in 1933.

But let's all buy into global warming so we feel compelled to purchase some of Uncle Al Gore's Carbon Indulgences.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:55 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
I'm still waiting for all the hurricanes predicted by the doom and gloom global warmers after Katrina got them all wound up in a tizzy. We actually havn't had a landfall in the US for two years. Hopefully things do stay quiet for those living on the coast but we havn't gone three years without landfall since 1860 according to weather.com. Or maybe Bush broke the hurricane machine when he pulled the lever too far back to fire off Katrina and they havn't got the parts manufactured yet over in China???

Old 07-20-2011, 10:01 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Yeah, it's warm out almost as warm as it was in 1933.
*chuckle* I doubt they will recognize that.

So far though, I am seeing a lot of people using temp maps that have a warm bias in the color index so they can give the illusion that everything is boiling!

Old 07-20-2011, 10:09 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,313,112 times
Anyone can see the urban heat island effect. People do have some affect on the climate but the sun still has a bigger one. In the next billion years the sun will be about 10% hotter. People like Al Gore are trying to profit off of a legitimate problem and offer no solution at all. Cap and trade is just another wealth transfer mechanism to Wall Street set up by scumbags like Ken Lay.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:20 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
It is warm. In the low 90s in Cleveland with heat indicies at 105 to possibly 115. I don't mind the heat. It beats the alternative which is the 6 months of winter that we get here. I would do well in a place like Florida, though I don't know that I could leave my home.

Anyway. I have a pool where I live, so I will more than likely be heading there with the little one after work.

Stay cool everyone. For those of you who live in northern climates like me where it's hot too. Enjoy it and don't wish summer away. We all know what's coming eventually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Then you'll complain it's too hot all the time and the mosquitos are huge and too numerous
Meh, its the same old same old here in FL....freaking hot, if you live inland the mosquitoes are akin to Messerschmidt's, also nothing new, except its a little dry, due to the heat dome, which is also nothing new.
Seen that plenty of times when I lived in MO.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:36 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Heatwaves are nothing new, they've ALWAYS been around. Just wait, by the time winter comes, there'll be reports of record breaking blizzards and widespread freezes, and this will still be blamed on, get this... "gasps" "GLOBAL WARMING." Or maybe, they'll use "climate change."

The liberals will do anything to "prove" that "global warming" is real, that it's happening and that it's caused by human beings.

If it's hot, scientists and liberals blame it on global warming.
If it's too cold, again, global warming.
If it's snowing, global warming.
When there's a blizzard, blame global warming.
A hurricane or tropical storm, global warming.
An animal lost at sea, global warming.
A beached whale, global warming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
LOL! in the winter warmers start yelling weather is not climate!

in the summer they start yelling SEE ITS HOT! Global Warming is HERE!

I think they are all schizophrenic

which reminds me of my favorite poem

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Im schizophrenic
and so am I
People seem to be confused as to how climate change can work. Just because a place is cooler than normal, or average, or even above average, does not equate to there being or not being climate change. People also scoff at the possibility of winter happening if there is climate change. Climate change is responsible for both global warming and a possible earlier occurrence of a new ice age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies