Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does this Ad help the Same Sex Marriage Cause?
Yes, its a great Ad and would sway me in the direction of support for Same Sex Marriage. 26 29.89%
No. It's offensive and pushes me away from support for same sex marriage. 61 70.11%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:14 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
What societies in the past have survived when they allowed gay marriage? Don't give me recent ones who are allowing it now, we are going to see if they will survive and where they will be in the future.
What societies of the past have survived period?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 10:15 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times
Quote:
one man and 4 women or any other combination seems weird
which coincidentally is exactly what Islam allows...not that I wish to detract from your main point.

Polygamy is an entirely seperate issue from homosexuality and pedophilia.

Just for reference, the Bible cites many instances of men having more than one wife. Abraham and Jacob each had two, Solomon had hundreds. Homosexuality, on the other hand, is condemned throughout the Bible, without exception.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:16 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times
Quote:
What societies in the past have survived when they allowed gay marriage? Don't give me recent ones who are allowing it now, we are going to see if they will survive and where they will be in the future.
The idea that same-sex marriage will lead to the end of American society is utterly preposterous. Anyone who believes that should seek professional help.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:16 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,499,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
which coincidentally is exactly what Islam allows...not that I wish to detract from your main point.

Polygamy is an entirely seperate issue from homosexuality and pedophilia.

Just for reference, the Bible cites many instances of men having more than one wife. Abraham and Jacob each had two, Solomon had hundreds. Homosexuality, on the other hand, is condemned throughout the Bible, without exception.
I wanted to leave out the bible in the discussion of evolution. Just talking about human nature.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The idea that same-sex marriage will lead to the end of American society is utterly preposterous. Anyone who believes that should seek professional help.
So tell me about a society that allowed gay marriage and thrived.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:22 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Quote:
I bet a lot of the 150 or so Native American societies that accepted and celebrated what we today call homosexuality and gay marriages (they viewed it much, much differently) would still be thriving had Christian conquerors not subdued them at smallpox-infested-blanketpoint.

Then again, you probably view that conquest and genocide as God's divine judgement against the wicked.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:24 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
And what's wrong with this societal shift?

Women's suffrage also had an activist and marketing effort behind it - would you have deplored it as being manipulative?
Did they target children?

Old 07-20-2011, 10:26 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,046 times
Quote:
Good question.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I bet a lot of the 150 or so Native American societies that accepted and celebrated what we today call homosexuality and gay marriages (they viewed it much, much differently) would still be thriving had Christian conquerors not subdued them at smallpox-infested-blanketpoint.

Then again, you probably view that conquest and genocide as God's divine judgement against the wicked.
Why are you using the argument that anyone who does not agree with gay marriage must also promote genocide?

By the way you do know that Indians used genocide against other Indian tribes don't you? They would raid other tribes, kill the men and take the children and women as slaves.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:29 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Good question.
How about the Roman Empire? They thrived for centuries despite allowing gay marriage. When Christianity took hold in the Roman Empire, same sex marriage was banned (in 342 by the Theodosian Code) - followed shortly by the demise of Roman society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies