Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does this Ad help the Same Sex Marriage Cause?
Yes, its a great Ad and would sway me in the direction of support for Same Sex Marriage. 26 29.89%
No. It's offensive and pushes me away from support for same sex marriage. 61 70.11%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 11:45 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
A polygamist can make the same argument as you just did. Our country has made polygamy unlawful. I think that will be next to be declared lawful after gay marriage is and why not.
That, along with eliminating age of consent laws was apparently part of the 1972 Gay Rights Platform created at the National Coalition of Gay Organizations Convention in Chicago in 1972.

"7. Repeal of all laws governing the age of sexual consent."

"8. Repeal of all legislative provisions that restrict the sex or number of persons entering into a marriage unit; and the extension of legal benefits to all persons who cohabit regardless of sex or numbers."

The 1972 Gay Rights Platform Platform created at the National Coalition of Gay Organizations Convention held in Chicago in 1972
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 11:49 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Very different issues. First off, private marriage associations between polygamists are perfectly legal. Any Church in the US can marry any number of people together in whatever polygamist marriage they want to be in.

Civil marriage contracts and polygamy is a much more complex issue. Civil marriage is a government thing. It's a contract, crafted into our civil law, that confers some 1400 joint civil rights to the couple who contracts it. These 1400 civil rights are joint rights - they either are defined for 2 people, or become very, very problematic if not confined to 2 people.

For instance - one of the civil rights of civil marriage is a spousal immigration visa if you marry a foreigner. If you open up civil marriage contracts to any number of people, what's stopping me from marrying the entire population of a Mexican border town and bringing my 12,000 spouses with me to live legally in the US?

Another civil right that comes with civil marriage is that married military members get an increased housing allowance - it's like $600 a month. If a military member decided to go out and marry 100 people, would he get an extra $60,000 a month in pay?

Another civil right is that if you own a business and you employ your spouse, you don't have to pay unemployment insurance tax on your spouse's wages. Marrying all of your employees would then become a great way to lower your tax bill.

I think it would be pretty easy to make a compelling argument that allowing polygamous civil marriages is harmful, thereby rendering its prohibition legal.

E-Gads. So make marriage one man and one woman and spare our country all the mish mash of muddying it all up. You know other kinds of marriages will be taken before courts to be declared lawful. Maybe not poligamy but you know people will think of something.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:51 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,751 times
Quote:
A tri-sexual? Sorry but I heard that term once. LOL
they weren't 'tri sexuals'. if when they were young they felt that they leaned more towards the opposite gender on the inside they were assigned a different role. some native tribes called gay people 'two spirits' and they were considered to be holy men and women because they successfully combined the duality of male and female together. they were considered to be more spiritually advanced than everyone else.

ironically researches who investigate memories of people from BETWEEN lives ( in the spirit world) have discovered that this in fact may be the case. most people choose to reincarnate into the same gender when they are young souls and when they start to become more advanced souls choose to alternate genders which can lead to confusion as they are used to being in the body of the opposite sex which is the reason behind homosexuality. ironically many gay people may be more spiritually advanced than the fundamentalists who preach against them.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:02 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
E-Gads. So make marriage one man and one woman and spare our country all the mish mash of muddying it all up. You know other kinds of marriages will be taken before courts to be declared lawful. Maybe not poligamy but you know people will think of something.
Put yourself in my shoes. I'm gay. I want to make a life and home with the man I love.

I look out and see that our lawmakers decided to craft a contract for couples into our civil, secular law that provides couples with some 1400 civil rights. Those lawmakers then passed subsequent laws banning me (as a homosexual) from having those rights. Why is it that we should craft into our law 1400 civil rights and give them to certain people (heterosexual couples (or same-race couples if you will), but deny them to certain other people (homosexual couples (or interracial couples if you will))? I find that to be unfair, immoral, and in clear violation of the 14th Amendment of the US Constitution.

How would you feel if you woke up one day and the situation had been reversed? How would you feel if those 1400 rights were no longer accessible to you and your husband, but were accessible exclusively to homosexual couples? (God forbid that in this scenario your husband be from a foreign county - he'd be deported (like so many spouses of gay Americans have been)).

All I want is the same legal rights you and your spouse have. I can't for the life of me understand how denying me those rights in any way benefits you or prevents a harm to you or makes you happy. I just don't get it. What's the fear? What's the negative?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:03 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
That, along with eliminating age of consent laws was apparently part of the 1972 Gay Rights Platform created at the National Coalition of Gay Organizations Convention in Chicago in 1972.

"7. Repeal of all laws governing the age of sexual consent."

"8. Repeal of all legislative provisions that restrict the sex or number of persons entering into a marriage unit; and the extension of legal benefits to all persons who cohabit regardless of sex or numbers."

The 1972 Gay Rights Platform Platform created at the National Coalition of Gay Organizations Convention held in Chicago in 1972
This post assumes a lot that isn't true. Poor argument.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:10 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
they weren't 'tri sexuals'. if when they were young they felt that they leaned more towards the opposite gender on the inside they were assigned a different role. some native tribes called gay people 'two spirits' and they were considered to be holy men and women because they successfully combined the duality of male and female together. they were considered to be more spiritually advanced than everyone else.

ironically researches who investigate memories of people from BETWEEN lives ( in the spirit world) have discovered that this in fact may be the case. most people choose to reincarnate into the same gender when they are young souls and when they start to become more advanced souls choose to alternate genders which can lead to confusion as they are used to being in the body of the opposite sex which is the reason behind homosexuality. ironically many gay people may be more spiritually advanced than the fundamentalists who preach against them.
Feeling you are not the sex you were born with is transgender/transsexual and today people can have a sex change operation. A bi-sexual is attracted to both sexes and can have both attractions no matter what sex they are. At least, that is how I understand it. It can get complicated.

Most people do not believe in reincarnation. Most believe in one life for each person, at least in our country. We could get into a lot of thoughts on marriage if we include other religious views. India for instance and the way they believe animals were once people in another life. Then we could get marriages of all kinds.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:10 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
This post assumes a lot that isn't true. Poor argument.
It isn't "assuming" anything. It is merely providing a link & a quote to something. Are you saying the platform didn't exist??? What exactly are you saying "isn't true?"

Old 07-21-2011, 12:13 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
Quote:
It isn't "assuming" anything. It is merely providing a link & a quote to something. Are you saying the platform didn't exist??? What exactly are you saying "isn't true?"
Let's start with this: Why did you mention those two points?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:14 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Feeling you are not the sex you were born with is transgender/transsexual and today people can have a sex change operation. A bi-sexual is attracted to both sexes and can have both attractions no matter what sex they are. At least, that is how I understand it. It can get complicated.
How about the intersex? We like to think that people only come in two biological varieties - male and female, but this isn't the case. Something like 1 or 2% of all human beings are intersex - neither biologically male or female, but some intermediate combination of the two.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:14 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Many, including some homosexual activists appear not to like this over-the-top campaign attempting to gain support for same sex marriage in Minnesota. This type of ad does nothing to help sway me to the cause; in fact, anything that uses kids or mocks religion or family values pushes me further in the opposite direction. How about you?

"An in-your-face video supporting gay marriage in Minnesota and mocking Christians has drawn the ire of some gay-rights activists who say the clip—full of f-bombs, racy visuals, and even same-sex kissing by very young-looking actors—leaves them “creeped out.”

Gay Marriage Video Kissing Kids | Video | TheBlaze.com

What's Your Instinct: FCKH8 Uses Tween Gay Kiss In Latest Video Campaign (http://instinctmagazine.com/blog/what-s-your-instinct-fckh8-uses-tween-gay-kiss-in-latest-video-campaign?directory=100011 - broken link)
This video was hilarious and the top 5 reasons made a point. Thanks for posting this.

My favorite line was- against gays adopting kids that was abandon by straight people to grow up in orphanage.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies