Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 03:13 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,287,224 times

Advertisements

Prison Planet.com » 20 Signs That The Fabric Of American Society Is Coming Apart At The Seams

This article makes the case that American society is degenerating.. do you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 03:17 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
I'd say people like Lizzie Borden mean the big change is more in coverage than behavior.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:18 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
I agree with the article, and I don't buy the common argument that "it just gets reported more." I do accept that each generation has troubled the previous generations, but that doesn't mean it isn't a problem. At some point, the loosening of standards goes too far and becomes decay.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:24 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
The world was always messed up. I'd rather live now than any other time. I'd rather read stories like these than worry about whether or not my boss was going to rape my mom and cut off my brother's fingers because we weren't working his fields quickly enough. I'd rather not have to live in an English village and wonder what those group of large blonde men were going to do when they reached the village then watch as the indiscriminately stab children to death, steal all our valuables and gang rape young women right in front of my face.

The whole "today's world is a horrible place" mantra is such a farce.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:30 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
The world was always messed up. I'd rather live now than any other time. I'd rather read stories like these than worry about whether or not my boss was going to rape my mom and cut off my brother's fingers because we weren't working his fields quickly enough. I'd rather not have to live in an English village and wonder what those group of large blonde men were going to do when they reached the village then watch as the indiscriminately stab children to death, steal all our valuables and gang rape young women right in front of my face.

Violence has gotten worse with every century actually. There were nasty things in the 19th century (slavery, Native American slaughter, imperialism, etc.), but then in the 20th century we got the Holocaust, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, nuclear weapons, etc. These days there's a real risk of nuclear destruction of the planet. I'd rather worry about viking invaders, slavery, etc., as at least you can escape them.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:31 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Quote:

I don't think it's saying the world is a horrible place, and I don't think anyone advocates the feudal system either. However, I can walk down the street or go to the grocery store or read the paper and tell that things have declined in the past 20-30 years. I'm not talking about clothing or music; I'm talking about seeing how people treat each other, their expectations for themselves, and safety.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:15 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,287,224 times
Quote:

I disagree, when I grew up in the 50's and 60's crime was almost non-existent in middle class neighborhoods (which were the norm then). Most people did not even lock there doors, and left their keys in their cars.
People had higher moral standards and were better mannered. Kids could play outside and governments actually served the people.
Today is just dog eat dog and you would have to look long and hard to find anyone with any ethics at all.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:18 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I don't think it's saying the world is a horrible place, and I don't think anyone advocates the feudal system either. However, I can walk down the street or go to the grocery store or read the paper and tell that things have declined in the past 20-30 years. I'm not talking about clothing or music; I'm talking about seeing how people treat each other, their expectations for themselves, and safety.
I agree. A couple of nights ago a house in my neighborhood caught fire. Only one neighbor on that street was there to offer their neighbor help (after midnight). I live a block over but saw the smoke and flashing lights. I took a cooler of iced water and gatorade over for the firefighters, LE and neighbors in the 90+ degree temps.

You would have thought I was a space alien the idea of help from a stranger seemed so foreign to them. It was a small thing to do given the circumstance of a house fire. For the thanks I received you would have thought people had never recieved a kindness before. Made me sad to think that a simple act like taking icewater and gatorade wouldn't be common place in such a situation. It made me sad that there weren't more people on their block looking out for their neighbors.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
One sign is when the rich are not spending;indivduals are not spending and paying dwon debt and states are lowering sepnding and balancing budgets as are local governamnts and they fedral governamnt is not do it. That eamns others are two eyars ahead of the game and federal governamnt two yeras behind as usual.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:13 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
I disagree, when I grew up in the 50's and 60's crime was almost non-existent in middle class neighborhoods (which were the norm then). Most people did not even lock there doors, and left their keys in their cars.
People had higher moral standards and were better mannered. Kids could play outside and governments actually served the people.
Today is just dog eat dog and you would have to look long and hard to find anyone with any ethics at all.
I grew up in the 50's and 60's and remember how my father used to go on and on about how this country is going to hell in a hand basket. Elvis Presley, Rock and Roll and then the Beatles........we were truly in the grips of Satan and just a few years from total anarchy. Now I'm pushing 60, I realize that it's just a cycle of life that people go through because they're resistant to change. My kids, now adults, grew up playing outside. I often forget to lock my doors, and I know a lot of folks with high moral standards and ethics. Maybe you're just hanging around with the wrong people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies