Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:11 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,272 times

Advertisements

Most engineers can't work on the **** they build. And I say this as someone pursuing a BS in Mechanical Engineering. I always had to fix my own stuff tho.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 09:19 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Can you imagine a Washington ran by Engineers and Scientists? Would this country be in better shape? I think so. Lawyers are clueless.
Maybe as long as the scientists leave their hockey sticks at home. Some of the commentary about engineers may be fairly true. I've always enjoyed working for engineers, helping them get their in touch with their creative side, kinda like slapping around the sides of their brains. Think - draw - think - color - think - touch - think - smell - think - blink - - - look, something shiny....

So, what's a sixteenth between friends...

Old 07-20-2011, 09:29 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Economists of the Austrian school would trump them all.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:38 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
I'd be scared of the country run by modern engineers and scientist. The engineers I've had the displeasure of working with try to overcomplicate designs and are left scratching their heads why it doesn't work cause it works on paper. As for scientist, which scientist? The ones whose careers were spent almost exclusively in universities or ones who work in hands on private sector careers? In universities there are plenty of scientist willing to pass classified info to our nation's enemies like a few did with the nuclear bomb in WW2 (they passed it to the USSR).

Old 07-20-2011, 09:39 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Maybe as long as the scientists leave their hockey sticks at home. Some of the commentary about engineers may be fairly true. I've always enjoyed working for engineers, helping them get their in touch with their creative side, kinda like slapping around the sides of their brains. Think - draw - think - color - think - touch - think - smell - think - blink - - - look, something shiny....

So, what's a sixteenth between friends...
Heh, just 1/16?
I've worked with architects that ran from 1/16 to 1/2" over, and then couldnt figure it out when the building ran out of room on the monolithic slab that had been poured,according to their specs.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:42 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
With the exception of a very few, I dont personally know any engineers that are capable of thinking outside the box.
***Note***My husband is an engineer, works for a major aerospace company, brings home fellow engineers all the time for dinner, etc, and quite frankly, most of them seem to be incapable of operating the soap pump and hand towels in my powder room.
Just an example....
Haha, too funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
hohoholololololo I know plenty of Engineers who can't pour pee out of boot.....and talk about Paralysis by Analysis just leave it all up to some scientist and you'll see that 10 fold!!! Needs to be run just like the Manhattan Project.. Engineers and Scientists getting their feet help to the fire by the Military...
How about an Affirmative Action Congress...you know, as they like to legislate for the Proles?

% by % of the major occupations in the USA. Plumber, electrician, machinist, cop, fireman, US Marshal, pilot, TSA goon, concealed carry permit holder, military member, social worker, drug pusher, pharmacist, car salesman, Hollywood moron, homeless dood, etc.

Let's break out the percentages by race and gender, too. Oh yes! Bring It On! Change We Can Believe In! Mission Accomplished!

One more thing, ban any Harvard graduate from approaching within 500 miles of DC.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:53 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
That's Haaarrrrrvard (spoken with snobbish accent).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Haha, too funny.

How about an Affirmative Action Congress...you know, as they like to legislate for the Proles?

% by % of the major occupations in the USA. Plumber, electrician, machinist, cop, fireman, US Marshal, pilot, TSA goon, concealed carry permit holder, military member, social worker, drug pusher, pharmacist, car salesman, Hollywood moron, homeless dood, etc.

Let's break out the percentages by race and gender, too. Oh yes! Bring It On! Change We Can Believe In! Mission Accomplished!

One more thing, ban any Harvard graduate from approaching within 500 miles of DC.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:49 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
If you want an example of a major nation run almost exclusively by engineers you don't have to look very far it is China.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:05 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
If you want an example of a major nation run almost exclusively by engineers you don't have to look very far it is China.
Link?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:16 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Fun thread!

Well, I feel the biggest improvement might be a movement towards a fact-based means of setting policy. Lawyers love to argue and marshal facts, but it is not for any greater good. It is always to WIN. An obsession with winning undermines the pursuit for the truth, which may not support their clients. Now scientists (I know, I am one) are as prone to all the bigotry, small mindedness, and narcissism as anyone else, but the culture is one of refutation, and is you are putting forward a **** idea, someone will call you on it eventually in peer review. I was defending my dissertation at the same time Bush was lobbying to invade Iraq, and suffice it to say, he had an easier time than I did. Scientists assume you are an idiot, unless you prove them wrong, and that is a good thing. I could not believe the bs he got by with, and noone challenged him make even a high school level argument for his agenda. But I digress...

Scientists tend to be a bit more divergent, and engineers a bit more convergent in their thinking, but neither one will waste time defending a **** sandwich. However, you might not like the outcome if you gave them power. Once a scientist (and probably engineer) researches, analyzes, and thinks about something and has made a decision, they are not inclined to spare your feelings. Most are athiests, for example, and not shy about it (I am not, but I am in the minority). Point is, if they see an approach, viewpoint, or political ideology as horse ****, they will not waste time defending it. I would add that they have nothing but contempt for the loud, self-satisfied, and ignorant. I guess all this is a longwinded way of saying they would make terrible politicians! But, they would likely be better than what we have now.

I would add that we need some managers too. It is easy enough to WIN (lawyer approach), or put forth a view about the nature of the universe, or to engineer a grand scheme, but someone needs to know how to organize and execute the work day in and day out with mere mortals and a limited budget to get anything done (throw in a few MBAs too). Government is about working with people and $$$$, most scientists and engineers have little training in either.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 07-21-2011 at 12:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies