Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 11:36 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Can you imagine a Washington ran by Engineers and Scientists?
How would that appease the religious nut cases in this country? They CLEARLY aren't interested in any type of science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 11:39 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Being an engineer should exclude anyone from running for President.

What's a scientist?

Science and 'scientists' have been hijacked to promote poliitical agendas.

I'd suggest a large animal veterinarian would possess the best qualifications.

Lawyers are aliens who have their own cryptic language designed to be understood, vaguely, only by other lawyers. They have been so insidious as to cradle our laws in such secret language the everyday person cannot use written legislation as a reference for ethical behavior or even legal behavior. Within the vortex of appeals, reversals and interpretation no one can possible figure out the extent of acceptable behavior.

the lawyers created the modern day dark monster known as the 'slippery slope'. Dare to infuse logic in the legislative stew and warnings of the 'slippery slope' are raised. A monster that will sue the pants off you, your town and your workplace.

Legislators sign off on legislation they have not read or understood and say without embarassment that it would take a team of lawyers to review and explain the complicated legislation. And apparently that is ok with thier constituents.

Never sign anything you don't understand, the consumer bureau cautions. Then you go to the dentist and are asked to sign a legal document before treatment. You have no idea of the implications you just agreed to abide by.

Lawyers should be banned from political office.
Or one could just learn how to read beyond a junior high school level. Problem solved.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:41 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,722 times
Quote:
Can you imagine a Washington ran by Engineers and Scientists? Would this country be in better shape? I think so. Lawyers are clueless.

typical liberal/leftists dream, letting our betters rule over us. The reality is usually quite different. These are the children of russian peasants. In all some 20-30 million russian peasants starved to death under the care of communist "scientists and experts."

Old 07-21-2011, 11:49 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
With the exception of a very few, I dont personally know any engineers that are capable of thinking outside the box.
***Note***My husband is an engineer, works for a major aerospace company, brings home fellow engineers all the time for dinner, etc, and quite frankly, most of them seem to be incapable of operating the soap pump and hand towels in my powder room.
Just an example....
I sure hope they manage it, at least they try. Considering the number of people I see simply walk out of restrooms, at work and elsewhere...

Old 07-21-2011, 11:51 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Can you imagine a Washington ran by Engineers and Scientists? Would this country be in better shape? I think so. Lawyers are clueless.
depends on how you define scientist

economists think they are scientists and the fantasy of ecomonies are science

Old 07-21-2011, 12:52 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
This country has had exactly one engineer as President - Herbert Hoover.

Draw your own conclusions.
If you were a scientist or an engineer you would realize a sample of one is not very statistically meaningful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Having been both a lawyer and a scientist, let me answer this for you.

No.

Scientists make extremely poor administrators in general. Politics and law are as much art as science. The empiricism that serves engineers and scientists so well in their fields simply does not work in the political and legal sphere where human interaction is involved.
You are forgetting the social sciences. Psychiatrists and psychologists are scientists too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
How would that appease the religious nut cases in this country? They CLEARLY aren't interested in any type of science.
Throughout the history of this country most scientists have also been religious.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:00 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The definition of an engineer.

An optimist sees a cup half full.

A pessimist sees a cup half empty.

An engineer sees a containment vessel having twice the required capacity.
fixed it for you.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:55 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I sure hope they manage it, at least they try. Considering the number of people I see simply walk out of restrooms, at work and elsewhere...
Hey!!! My mom taught me to wash my wiener and the Navy taught me not to pee on myself so I don't have to wash my hands every time!

Old 07-21-2011, 11:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
hey!!! My mom taught me to wash my wiener and the navy taught me not to pee on myself so i don't have to wash my hands every time!:d
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Old 07-21-2011, 11:06 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Central planning=epic failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies