Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:35 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,567 times

Advertisements

My neighbor moved out of his house (walked away from it) last fall.
Over the winter all of the pipes broke, basement is full of water and now the mold is so bad (90* heat all summer) it will likely have to be bulldozed.
If I had a mortgage with them I would be p*ssed.
Is this how they all operate?
In one way or another we all pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 08:48 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
My neighbor moved out of his house (walked away from it) last fall.
Over the winter all of the pipes broke, basement is full of water and now the mold is so bad (90* heat all summer) it will likely have to be bulldozed.
If I had a mortgage with them I would be p*ssed.
Is this how they all operate?
In one way or another we all pay.
We had a case of that near me.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:23 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
It's not just BofA. Many banks appear to have a lack of maintaining every foreclosed home in their possession. It's gotten to the point that several counties, cities, and states are having to pass laws to force the banks to maintain them.

Recently, a friend of mine bought a house that had so much uncleaned cat urine that it had literally become cat urine syrup and was crystallizing. That's in addition to trash, mold, and termites.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:26 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
This is why I live in a community with a very powerful HOA. The board will maintain the home and send the bills to the bank and/or put a lien on the house.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:26 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
I find it very strange the bank didn't winterize the house. Banks aren't great stewards of residential real estate, but they usually put in that minimal effort in order to protect their asset.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I find it very strange the bank didn't winterize the house. Banks aren't great stewards of residential real estate, but they usually put in that minimal effort in order to protect their asset.
Not anymore, not with the number of empty foreclosed homes they now own.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:28 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,850,595 times
Quote:
Honestly, I think they're so overwhelmed with the foreclosures going on that they've given up trying to maintain all of these properties.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:46 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not anymore, not with the number of empty foreclosed homes they now own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Honestly, I think they're so overwhelmed with the foreclosures going on that they've given up trying to maintain all of these properties.
Ahhhh. I don't buy this, nor in my experience does it seem to be the case.

Even cheap houses are worth a lot of money. It costs about $150 to winterized a house (probably even less for a bank that can hire a contractor to do them in bulk). It's not like there's a shortage of people willing and able to do this kind of work. In this labor market, I'm sure you have people begging banks for these little $150 jobs. Also, it makes sense for a bank to do it. Why risk hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage and not do it?

Also, I took a temporary job with the Census here in Colorado last year. I knocked on doors at least 300 foreclosed homes. I could tell which houses had been foreclosed on because every single one had a winterizing sticker on it (I could also tell how long they had been vacant since each sticker gave a date saying when it was winterized).

I imagine that if this house hadn't been winterized, it was either an oversight or the bank got ripped off by a contractor who said he did the work but in fact didn't.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:48 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,850,595 times
Quote:
Ahhhh. I don't buy this, nor in my experience does it seem to be the case.

Even cheap houses are worth a lot of money. It costs about $150 to winterized a house (probably even less for a bank that can hire a contractor to do them in bulk). It's not like there's a shortage of people willing and able to do this kind of work. In this labor market, I'm sure you have people begging banks for these little $150 jobs. Also, it makes sense for a bank to do it. Why risk hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage and not do it?

Also, I took a temporary job with the Census here in Colorado last year. I knocked on doors at least 300 foreclosed homes. I could tell which houses had been foreclosed on because every single one had a winterizing sticker on it (I could also tell how long they had been vacant since each sticker gave a date saying when it was winterized).

I imagine that if this house hadn't been winterized, it was either an oversight or the bank got ripped off by a contractor who said he did the work but in fact didn't.
Yeah but you're in Denver, I live near Houston and to us winterizing is a foreign concept. Hell around here people who were living in their homes had a hard enough time dealing with frozen pipes this last winter.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:02 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times
Quote:
A million dollar home in foreclosure is no more than a piece of paper on someone's desk. They have thousands of pieces of paper just like it on their desk and none more special than the others.
We had a beautiful home in our community that the owner walked away from and left vacant for well over a year. The beautiful landscaping went to h$ll.
We approached the bank and asked them to turn on the water and electricity so we could maintain the property for the good of the rest of the residents. We were willing to pay all expenses. We were informed if we set one foot on the property to maintain it we would be sited for trespassing. They had no interest in keeping their expensive property looking good for an eventual sale.
The city wanted to drain the pool, which is standard for a vacant home. It took the City over three months to gain access to drain the pool. In the mean time, the Code Enforcement Officer was forced to stand outside the fence and toss mosquito pellets in the pool until they went through the proper channels to empty the pool.
The bank had so little interest they wouldn't even comply with the orders from the City Government. The home finally sold for $500K less than it's value. The bank could have prevented that huge loss, but it was too much trouble. The loss didn't effect the guy sitting at that desk at the bank. He gets his pay check every week and nothing else matters..! It wasn't his money he lost..!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies