Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 11:47 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Yeah, demand comes from consumers....and they're having none of obama's ruinous policies either.

Those that can spend, like me, aren't. Not only because of the new taxes coming, but also because it would enable him and the very policies that are bringing the US to it's knees.
So people aren't spending for political reasons? Surely you jest? This is getting more funny by the minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 11:47 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Home Depot does.
indeed they do. Home Depot is far more than this one man. Their ownership has been pubic since 1981.

My bigger point is that it is nonsense to pick out certain individuals and call them "job creators," as if they did it singlehandedly. If you want to thank somebody for all those home depot jobs, thank central bankers like Greenspan. I'm sure the 30-odd years of decreasing interest rates had nothing to do with Home Depot's success.

Last edited by le roi; 07-21-2011 at 11:55 AM..

Old 07-21-2011, 11:51 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Any more ruinous than the previous guy? If you think so, support it with facts.

The economy is still bad but it isn't shedding 700,000 jobs a month the way it was the month Obama was inaugurated.
I know I've given this to you before;

Debunking the Obama Stimulus Chart Or “How To Make Numbers Say Anything You Want” « Political Math

THIS is much more indicative of the truth;

http://www.politicalmathblog.com/wp-...ll-300x205.jpg

Old 07-21-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
So people aren't spending for political reasons? Surely you jest? This is getting more funny by the minute.
"People". No, most people aren't spending because they've lost their jobs, homes, savings under this president.

I think some people are making a determination not to spend, which would enable obama.

I'm thinking some businesses feel the same way.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:02 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
"People". No, most people aren't spending because they've lost their jobs, homes, savings under this president.

I think some people are making a determination not to spend, which would enable obama.

Right, under this President. He came into office, and all of a sudden they couldn't afford their mortgage payment.

Does lying ever got tiring for the minions of talk radio?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:07 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:

You didn't say "some people" you said:

Quote:
Those that can spend, like me, aren't. Not only because of the new taxes coming, but also because it would enable him and the very policies that are bringing the US to it's knees.
Clearly stating that people "like you" aren't spending because it would enable his policies. Try to stick to one story at a time please.

So you're claiming that you won't go out to dinner, take trips, buy clothes, gifts, rent movies, get to those home repairs simply because you feel it may "help" Obama? Subsequently you believe that others have also put their life on hold as a means to stop this "agenda"?

LOL, too funny!

How many do do you figure this is? Maybe a dozen or so people across this country?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:08 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
My father owned a very successful business in the Chicago area. He employed 400 people during its peak. He has since retired. He sold his company for a nice amount about 12 years ago. There weren't a lot of takers as his business is a niche market.

The guy who bought it immediately laid of 60 people and cut costs everywhere he could in order to sell as soon as possible for an even bigger profit.

My dad's company provided us with a great life and many with a very good life. He could have done what the buyer did, but he chose not to. He wasn't just in it for the money. He was also in it because it made him feel good he offered people opportunities.

The real issue in this country is that people like those who bought my dad's company are running all the businesses. It's all about "me, me, me". It's true with many of our politicians also, amongst Democrats and Republicans.

Altruism is at an all time low, folks. Today's truth is "Get as much as you can, and to hell with everyone else."

Old 07-21-2011, 12:16 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
My father owned a very successful business in the Chicago area. He employed 400 people during its peak. He has since retired. He sold his company for a nice amount about 12 years ago. There weren't a lot of takers as his business is a niche market.

The guy who bought it immediately laid of 60 people and cut costs everywhere he could in order to sell as soon as possible for an even bigger profit.

My dad's company provided us with a great life and many with a very good life. He could have done what the buyer did, but he chose not to. He wasn't just in it for the money. He was also in it because it made him feel good he offered people opportunities.

The real issue in this country is that people like those who bought my dad's company are running all the businesses. It's all about "me, me, me". It's true with many of our politicians also, amongst Democrats and Republicans.

Altruism is at an all time low, folks. Today's truth is "Get as much as you can, and to hell with everyone else."
That is a perfect example. That, and businesses that COULD hire, aren't hiring. They're simply sitting on money and making their employees work much harder all the while saying 'well, we need to decrease your salary because of the economy', then posting record profits.

Business is about the bottom line, which is making money. Why should they give a crap about their employees as long as the business is making profits? Altruism is dead.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
You didn't say "some people" you said:
Quote:
"Those that can"doesn't mean ALL people. Obviously, "those that can" are a segment of the population, ergo, "some".

Quote:
Clearly stating that people "like you" aren't spending because it would enable his policies. Try to stick to one story at a time please.
Yeah, I imagine there are millions like me.

Quote:
So you're claiming that you won't go out to dinner, take trips, buy clothes, gifts, rent movies, get to those home repairs simply because you feel it may "help" Obama? Subsequently you believe that others have also put their life on hold as a means to stop this "agenda"?
Yeah, that's about right. Still spend on the kids, but all unnecessary spending stopped long ago.

Quote:
LOL, too funny!

How many do do you figure this is? Maybe a dozen or so people across this country?
Try millions. You think conservatives and those that detest this president's policies haven't thought that tightening their belts is the best way they have to stop his policies? You think it's a coincidence that as business tells us what an anti-business, anti-capitalism president this is, they stop hiring? They want him OUT.

He has expended ALL his goodwill and political capitol - the people are no longer willing to give his ideas a try - they did that and look at the results.

$1 Trillion down the drain, high UE, high gas, home prices plummeting, home sale/starts in the toilet, massive debt, massive deficit, higher taxes coming (obamacare), higher energy prices (rogue EPA), more dependency on foreign oil...the list is long of abysmal economic indicators under this disaster.

They gave him his chance - he has FAILED.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:51 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Another "job creator" long on political slogans and short on details. Taxes that would have kept him from building Home Depot? What taxes would those have been?
I thought Home Depot was an English Company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies