Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 04:49 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Wrong, as usual. This country was founded based on a separation of church and state, so cease trying to eliminate that. And this country was founded because people wanted to get the h*ll out of places where people were limited to ONE religious belief. You certainly aren't going to be allowed to do that here, so you'd better move elsewhere, where you can set up your own little religious dictatorship. This place ain't it, dude.
Wrong.. the interpretation was hi-jacked by the anti-god crowd in the 60's . It was intended to keep government out of religion and now the emphasis is keeping morals of christianity out of government. Thus we are becoming a morally depraved country in the last 50 years thanks to the secular movement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 04:58 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Wrong.. the interpretation was hi-jacked by the anti-god crowd in the 60's . It was intended to keep government out of religion and now the emphasis is keeping morals of christianity out of government. Thus we are becoming a morally depraved country in the last 50 years thanks to the secular movement.
BS. You are oblivious to history and facts.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

So as I said, go find yourself another country and establish a nice Jonestown replica there with whatever wacko religious beliefs you like, and hey, make them into laws too! You'll be soo happy!

Old 04-02-2013, 05:08 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
I don't see where the progressives have made women an ideal.. they now have to work and leave their children in day care to support a certain lifestyle.. they have to keep up an image with plastic surgery as if that makes them more valuable. Women have not been liberated at all. If a woman wants to raise their kids at home and bake cookies for their husband they are called names. pathetic.

Did you not know that centuries ago to exist was much harder to find a way for their needs to be taken care off. Jews sold themselves into slavery to have a meal and have a way to sustain themselves . it was their choice in those days and was not looked upon as slavery in this present day. The meaning has changed in our society.
Funny. I'm a woman who chose to stay home and bake cookies for my wife. Tonight it's a butternut squash and goat cheese lasagna.
The only one who have called me names are the religious fundies, but not for staying home. They call me names because my spouse is a woman too.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:16 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
There should be moral codes within every civilized society, but if some of these codes happen to coincide with religious codes, that does not make the society a Theocracy that is beholden or expected to fall in lockstep with any religious belief system. I don't murder or steal because my personal inate moral compass dictates that I don't, not because a book tells me not to.

Godless Constitution: Constitutional Law without Gods or Religion

No matter how hard conservative apologists for the Christian Right try, they cannot locate endorsements of religion, God, theism, or Christianity in the Constitution. At no point does the Constitution exhibit anything less than a fully secular, godless character. The American Constitution was a novel experiment in the creation of a secular government on the basis of popular sovereignty and democratic principles. All of this would be undermined by the Christian Right.

http://atheism.about.com/od/godlessl...nstitution.htm

Old 04-02-2013, 05:38 PM

256 posts, read 207,102 times
Quote:
This country was founded on the Judeo- Christian beliefs such as the ten commandments. We have religious holidays where government workers have days off. Do not assume that Christianity is not a part of this country. Yes, secular humanism has put Santa Claus not Jesus as their meaning of Christmas. Same as the Easter Bunny. They celebrate but with no religious meaning.

The days of the United States being blessed are leaving . . Christians cannot speak in the media without being persecuted. Jesus spoke of this . Nothing new.
Which is why you have to hold Judeo-Christian beliefs to hold office in this country.

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States

Quote:
I don't see where the progressives have made women an ideal.. they now have to work and leave their children in day care to support a certain lifestyle.. they have to keep up an image with plastic surgery as if that makes them more valuable. Women have not been liberated at all. If a woman wants to raise their kids at home and bake cookies for their husband they are called names. pathetic.

Did you not know that centuries ago to exist was much harder to find a way for their needs to be taken care off. Jews sold themselves into slavery to have a meal and have a way to sustain themselves . it was their choice in those days and was not looked upon as slavery in this present day. The meaning has changed in our society.
Sure women didn't have work. Of course they couldn't vote, marry who they wanted or own property, since they were property. Are you one those types that think women should submit to men?

Old 04-02-2013, 05:45 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
We don't want your narrow belief system forced upon us.
Now when the Christians pick up their pitchforks, shovels and start chasing you around with a tub to baptize you let me know. As for Christian principles, this country was founded upon them, along with the idea that all men are created equal and all men are endowed with inalienable rights from their 'creator'.

You may not like the verbage or the connotation but this puts the government squarely out of sync with the principles this country was founded upon when they begin grouping people by categories and picking winners and losers. These principles are under constant attack and more so than ever with the Obama in office.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:58 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Now when the Christians pick up their pitchforks, shovels and start chasing you around with a tub to baptize you let me know. As for Christian principles, this country was founded upon them, along with the idea that all men are created equal and all men are endowed with inalienablerights from their 'creator'.

You may not like the verbage or the connotation but this puts the government squarely out of sync with the principles this country was founded upon when they begin grouping people by categories and picking winners and losers. These principles are under constant attack and more so than ever with the Obama in office.
Bull Pucky! Find anything that alludes to this ridiculous theory in the Constitution. I already provided a link with a very succinct explanation a few posts back that obliterates this radical bible thumping claim.

BTW... the quote you provided is from "The Declaration of Independence" not the Constitution.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 04-02-2013 at 07:04 PM..

Old 04-02-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
According to the Christian Gospels, Jesus was killed by the Romans, who were essentially a white European Power. Not sure how many white Christian churches would disagree with that interpretation, but I would think that the number is pretty low.
Sin killed Jesus . We are all capable of hanging Jesus on the cross. So you do see it in black and white only.. Black liberation theology is doing a great job on you.

Some say it was the jews that killed Jesus. I differ. It was the secular world that killed Jesus. Not His followers, no, it was sinful man .. for power.

Isn't that what black liberation theology looks at... power. Jesus looks at the heart of man , if it is corrupt or righteous. Jesus was a teacher. His parables were to conquer the sins of man.

Why was John the Baptist beheaded? You must know.. It was his preaching about corrupt man and the sins of man and the repentance of sin.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Okay. And black liberation theology prevents Jesus's blood from overcoming their sins? How or why?
Black liberation theology rejects what they called the white version of Christianity . You must get informed.

From God's stand point there is only one Jesus and one race. The human race.

Some of the differences in Black Liberation Theology from Christianity

Stylistic differences in the Black religious community

Because of the differences in thought between the black and white community, most black religious leaders attempt to make their services more accessible to other African-Americans, who must identify with the faith in order to accept it. Another notable difference is Cone's suggestion as to what must occur if there is not reconciliation among the white community. He states, "Whether the American system is beyond redemption we will have to wait and see. But we can be certain that black patience has run out, and unless white America responds positively to the theory and activity of Black Power, then a bloody, protracted civil war is inevitable." [Black Theology and Black Power, Page 143] [10]
Black Liberation Theology is considered by some to be a form of racism, as some followers associate liberation with retribution and anger. Some suggest that this is a response to the discomfort some white Americans feel with the ideas of black empowerment and threat of being dealt with unapologetically as equals. It should also be noted that Christ forgave his oppressors and there is no focus on retribution for past wrong in the writings of Cohn and other leaders.

Black liberation theology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-02-2013, 06:55 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So, Fred Phelps isn't a looney tune as stated in one of your links?

Let's play victim
No, you play the victim since you libs are so good at it and have so much experience with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies