Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 07:56 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaroid View Post
So by your logic Wile E, a child molestor who has paid his debt to society should be allowed to teach your 5 YO daughter?
If Wile E, a child molester is still a threat to children he should never be allowed to walk free again. Violent and predatory felons who are repeat offenders cannot be rehabilitated. That is my feeling on child molesters with the rates of recidivism reported.

Nice attempt to deflect the thread though, trying to equate gun owners with child molestors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 07:57 AM

38 posts, read 42,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
For someone who has been a gun owner for decades and used to hang around gun nuts,you aren't very savvy on gun terms....
I would estimate I know more about and have owned more guns than you ever will. I sold 45 thousand dollars worth of firearms last year, and that was only a third of my collection. I have worked on Civil war Sharps Carbines, and Colt 1911s doing my own smithing. I would bet you take yours if you even own any to the local bubba to have him work on them for you.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If Wile E, a child molester is still a threat to children he should never be allowed to walk free again. Violent and predatory felons who are repeat offenders cannot be rehabilitated. That is my feeling on child molesters with the rates of recidivism reported.

Nice attempt to deflect the thread though, trying to equate gun owners with child molestors.
WOW Wile E, you missed the point and completely got it wrong. I never said gun owners were child molesters. You said that people who have served their time in prison should not be stopped from owning guns. I used an analogy to try to show that the government has the right to regulate the sale and use of firearms. I guess it went over your head. It goes to the idea that you have freedom of speech but not to yell fire in a crowded theater or to say I am going to kill the president.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:57 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Chicago...always a fun place.

Guns and Crime in Chicago - John R. Lott Jr. - National Review Online

Old 07-22-2011, 09:01 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polaroid View Post
WOW Wile E, you missed the point and completely got it wrong. I never said gun owners were child molesters. You said that people who have served their time in prison should not be stopped from owning guns. ........
Please point out exactly where I wrote that! Show me the exact quote.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
What are the specifics of the new regulations?

And actually,if a criminal has paid his debt to society,then yes,he should not be denied his Consitutional rights....as to the mentally ill,that is solved by institutionalising them IF they are indeed a danger.
Mogal it was oz who said that if you served your time that you should not have any problem getting a gun. It was you who said that I was equating child molesters with gun owners. You are totally wrong, what went over your head was the fact that I never said gun owners = child molesters. Your confusing the posts. Oz said ex cons should have guns and I used an analogy to show it was a stupid idea, and you said I was calling gun owners child molesters. You are trying to confuse the post on purpose.
</p>How many of you know that at Gabby Gifford's town hall where she was shot there were two legal CCW carriers who instead of stopping the shooter almost shot each other? CCW which I have one, and I also have an FFL, and FFA stamp owning class 3 weapons are not some magic wand in stopping crime. I do not want every one running around armed. Take a look around you when you drive, do you really feel safe if you knew everyone had a gun? If you live in a gated community that may work but outside of this la la land it does not. Guns have to be regulated. </p>

Last edited by polaroid; 07-22-2011 at 10:05 AM..

Old 07-22-2011, 09:58 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
What are the specifics of the new regulations?
They are talking about strengthening background checks so criminals or mentally ill people could not get weapons.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They are talking about strengthening background checks so criminals or mentally ill people could not get weapons.
And the radical NRA will fight against it because they are more concerned not with what is best for us the people, but from my experience with the NRA what is best for the corporate gun industry. If they could pass laws to allow bulk buys by South American drug Lords and it would be good for the bottom line of the gun lobby they would try to pass a law legalizing it.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:17 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Friends of mine own a gun shop. Gun retailers already have huge orders in house for the 2012 presidential elections. Their business has been outstanding since 2008!

Old 07-22-2011, 10:58 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Chicken Little sits on the NRA Board of Directors and periodicly sends out these emails to keep the NRA faithful donating.

FYI: I am a 50 year+ owner and collector of firearms including full auto, short barreled shotguns and others with the proper tax stamps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies