Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:38 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
My basic thesis is fine. The charges against Emily Good were dismissed. The videographer in Las Vegas was released with no charges filed.

Both individuals are able to pursue damages for unlawful detention. The officers involved have opened themselves up to a world of grief.
Nope your thesis is hopelessly busted. It happens quite regularly. Another good example is the Cop knocking the bicyclist down in NY. That is a classic . The cops report claimed the bicyclist attacked him and was supported by other cops on the scene.

and note the guy in Las Vegas was beaten up pretty good...how are they going to take that back? He was also charged with battery on a police officer. The DA declined the prosecution but he was arrested and booked.

These few cases where there happens to be video proving the wrongdoing are rare. And if a contrasting video ia not present the cop will likely get away clean.

You might have an argument that it is a relatively rare event. But it does occur and reasonably often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 10:43 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Nope your thesis is hopelessly busted. It happens quite regularly. Another good example is the Cop knocking the bicyclist down in NY. That is a classic . The cops report claimed the bicyclist attacked him and was supported by other cops on the scene.

These few cases where there happens to be video proving the wrongdoing are rare. And if a contrasting video ia not present the cop will likely get away clean.

You might have an argument that it is a relatively rare event. But it does occur and reasonably often.
I'm willing to concede that it's a rare occurrence. Are you honest enough to admit that in the rare instances it occurs it's the fault of a bad officer and not an indictment of corruption that can be applied to all of law enforcement?

Old 07-25-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I'm willing to concede that it's a rare occurrence. Are you honest enough to admit that in the rare instances it occurs it's the fault of a bad officer and not an indictment of corruption that can be applied to all of law enforcement?
Actually most cops are honest and basically lawabiding. There are however a standard number of cheats widely practiced. And there is a willingness to tolerate an aggressive cop who punishes a civilian for "dissing a cop". You will not find many instances where a bad cop is turned in by his peers. It happens but it is a lot rarer than a cop socking to a civilian without a legal basis.

I personally think recording it all will put a stop to most of that. Which is a good thing. But I would note the police in Las Vegas and elsewhere are resistant to that.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:00 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,142 times
Quote:
Actually most cops are honest and basically lawabiding. There are however a standard number of cheats widely practiced. And there is a willingness to tolerate an aggressive cop who punishes a civilian for "dissing a cop". You will not find many instances where a bad cop is turned in by his peers. It happens but it is a lot rarer than a cop socking to a civilian without a legal basis.

I personally think recording it all will put a stop to most of that. Which is a good thing. But I would note the police in Las Vegas and elsewhere are resistant to that.
I can agree with that but would add that the majority of those that engage in punishing contempt of cop make substantial efforts to prevent their actions from coming to the attention of other officers. I won't claim it's not a problem but I will assert it's becoming less of a problem as hiring standards and self policing of the police improve. It's no longer a widely tolerated practice and is not embraced by the vast majority of cops.

It speaks poorly of the cops in Las Vegas. I worked in LE prior to the advent of dash cams. That said I'd have welcomed their use as if you do the job correctly they can go a long way toward protecting an officer from charges of malfeasance.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:12 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
What the hell is wrong with cops? Criminals with badges that go around abusing their power the very people they are charged to serve. They think they above the very laws they are enforcing. And yet they seem to think they are worthy of respect.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:36 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,002 times
Quote:
I can agree with that but would add that the majority of those that engage in punishing contempt of cop make substantial efforts to prevent their actions from coming to the attention of other officers. I won't claim it's not a problem but I will assert it's becoming less of a problem as hiring standards and self policing of the police improve. It's no longer a widely tolerated practice and is not embraced by the vast majority of cops.

It speaks poorly of the cops in Las Vegas. I worked in LE prior to the advent of dash cams. That said I'd have welcomed their use as if you do the job correctly they can go a long way toward protecting an officer from charges of malfeasance.

Hey cop, explain this one . . .

Old 07-25-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
The guy was a pimp from Seattle who is believed to have been involved in a murder in that area a week or so ago and shot it out with the SF police.

What's to explain?

You should look these up before you jump on them.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:45 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,002 times
Quote:
The guy was a pimp from Seattle who is believed to have been involved in a murder in that area a week or so ago and shot it out with the SF police.

What's to explain?

You should look these up before you jump on them.
Yes, they also busted down the door of the WRONG HOUSE and murdered a man named Mena in Denver during a no-knock raid.

They claimed he had a gun which was never recovered and the defense then claimed gun powder prints on his hands proved he fired a hand-gun. These autopsy reports released a decade later proved he had his hands up in a defensive position and a gun was fired point blank towards him. No proof of any weapon in Mena's possession was ever discovered.
(none of the cops were convicted of criminal charges)

During the controversy following this criminal action allegations were made that Mena was an illegal alien and wanted for murder in Mexico. Wow, cops call him a crook after they illegally execute him, sounds kinda like your justification.

Was he? I don't know, these allegations were never substantiated. What I do know is this is a non-sequitor and does not in any way justify or minimize the criminal actions of those supposedly protecting us. This is supposed to be a land of laws but police act above these laws to beat, main and murder U.S. citizens. What is more, police have been legally sanctioned to steal private property from citizens by accusing them of drug related crimes - is that not a conflict of interest if you've ever heard one? Let me check you out for criminal activity and by the way, I can confiscate your property for my use through the company I work for. In some instances without a criminal conviction. (http://www.fff.org/freedom/1093c.asp - broken link)

You engage in an Ad-Hominem attack.

You state this guy is a pimp and alleged to have been involved in a gun fight a week ago in that area. So you say that unproven allegations justify execution in the street? Please, tell me, do I understand you correctly? This is this your position?

I disagree with you, sounds like the position of a thug with a gun.
Not that I'm saying your one, it just sounds that way.

This is why we have courts and rule of law.

How about this one gunslinger.

Oh, yeah, in this case police were following procedures . . .

Old 07-25-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Yes, they also busted down the door of the WRONG HOUSE and murdered a man named Mena in Denver during a no-knock raid.

They claimed he had a gun which was never recovered and the defense then claimed gun powder prints on his hands proved he fired a hand-gun. These autopsy reports released a decade later proved he had his hands up in a defensive position and a gun was fired point blank towards him. No proof of any weapon in Mena's possession was ever discovered.
(none of the cops were convicted of criminal charges)

During the controversy following this criminal action allegations were made that Mena was an illegal alien and wanted for murder in Mexico. Wow, cops call him a crook after they illegally execute him, sounds kinda like your justification.

Was he? I don't know, these allegations were never substantiated. What I do know is this is a non-sequitor and does not in any way justify or minimize the criminal actions of those supposedly protecting us. This is supposed to be a land of laws but police act above these laws to beat, main and murder U.S. citizens. What is more, police have been legally sanctioned to steal private property from citizens by accusing them of drug related crimes - is that not a conflict of interest if you've ever heard one? Let me check you out for criminal activity and by the way, I can confiscate your property for my use through the company I work for. In some instances without a criminal conviction. (http://www.fff.org/freedom/1093c.asp - broken link)

You engage in an Ad-Hominem attack.

You state this guy is a pimp and alleged to have been involved in a gun fight a week ago in that area. So you say that unproven allegations justify execution in the street? Please, tell me, do I understand you correctly? This is this your position?

I disagree with you, sounds like the position of a thug with a gun.
Not that I'm saying your one, it just sounds that way.

This is why we have courts and rule of law.

How about this one gunslinger.

Oh, yeah, in this case police were following procedures . . .
Well it appears from your writings that facts are not your bag.. Facts help separate the real from the imagined in these discussions.

The guy shot was shot while shooting it out with the local cops. Well documented...Not he had a gun or something. He was running through a peopled area and firing at the cops.

His history was a recent arrival from Seattle where he had a conviction for pimpling invlving forcing a thirteen year old to perform fellatio and was sought by the Seattle police for the murder of a pregnant 19 year old.

The video is academically interesting but not germane.

Last edited by olecapt; 07-25-2011 at 08:07 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 10:08 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

These are the type of cops we need... accolades to CA. He is a credit to his profession.

the other one needs to be relieved of duty . He is a safety threat to the public. I hope Ohio takes his behavior seriously. makes me wonder if he has ever "dropped" anyone before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies