Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 06:09 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Amazing how some people blame their lot in life on other's "screwing" them. Maybe if they didn't "screw" themselves with bad decisions they would finally get a piece of the pieeeeeeeeeeeeee..
Let me clue you in on something - no one living in f'n Massapequa is part of the plutocracy. Whatever part of the pie you think you have is crumbs at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 07:48 PM

76 posts, read 137,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Because people are not born equal, and don't have equal opportunity.
Because the more you have, the more you benefit from society. Our military, the educational system, police, financial system, etc. disproportionally benefit those who have the most to lose - the rich - and thus should be progressively funded by that group.
Because even the very rich will tell you that success is very much dependent on luck.
Because some are born rich and don't have to work for it.$250k-$350k puts you in the top 1% of earners in the US. Sorry you can't afford a private jet to hit Monaco every weekend but you're earning more than 99% of the country and world, by what standard is that not rich?

I know this seems incomprehensible but people making $40k don't have the option of owning a million dollar house, keeping kids in private school, taking a vacation or two a year, and putting money away for their kids' college. They have problems paying their rent, putting food on the table, or even going to the doctor.How about this - a growing income/wealth disparity between the top 1% and the rest of the country is unhealthy for our nation as a whole and our economy specifically. At some fundamental level you need money in the hands of the peasants (anyone who earns their income through a job rather than capital gains) so they can buy things to keep this whole Capitalism sh*t show running and each extra shovel full of dirt heaped onto the growing mountain of debt based spending the middle class does brings us one step closer to a breaking point.

Or, because the wealthy (top 1%) hold the vast majority of wealth in the US-there simply is no money left to squeeze out of anyone else.
"Because the more you have, the more you benefit from society."

Wrong. The more successful I become, the more I contribute to society, not in taxes. If I didn't take anything to make it and yet I still made it, your rationale is baseless. Work harder and you will get to the top 1%.

"Because even the very rich will tell you that success is very much dependent on luck."

You're hanging out with some stupid rich people. The rich people I know tell me the way to success is hard work. You make your luck through that hard work.

For the person making $40K that doesn't have luxuries, work harder. Get a second job, or a third. Take the extra $$ and start your own business with a good idea.

"to keep this whole Capitalism sh*t show running"

OK, you're a communist and/or don't believe in capitalism. It explains a lot. But do us all a favor and please leave the country. Go somewhere else. You're in the minority so please don't take the country down.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:05 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb11111 View Post

Wrong. The more successful I become, the more I contribute to society, not in taxes. If I didn't take anything to make it and yet I still made it, your rationale is baseless. Work harder and you will get to the top 1%.

"Because even the very rich will tell you that success is very much dependent on luck."

You're hanging out with some stupid rich people. The rich people I know tell me the way to success is hard work. You make your luck through that hard work.

For the person making $40K that doesn't have luxuries, work harder. Get a second job, or a third. Take the extra $$ and start your own business with a good idea.

OK, you're a communist and/or don't believe in capitalism. It explains a lot. But do us all a favor and please leave the country. Go somewhere else. You're in the minority so please don't take the country down.
My old neighbor says the same thing, of course he says it after his mommy kicked the bucket left him half a million and a house in North Carolina. He made the switch from Democrat to Republican faster than a light goes from yellow to red. Can't say I blame him though.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:

Think you're missing my point. The protections that government affords primarily benefit those with the most to lose. Someone without a pot to **** in doesn't care if AIG gets bailed out, but you do, because your retirement package and investments are tied in. The poor don't care about silly wars that only benefit military contractors, but people who own stock in GE or Lockheed do. The poor are the target of the police, not the golden geese that must be protected. Etc. etc.
Quote:

The accident of birth plays a huge role in your future success. Being born white to two parents who care about your education is a far more accurate predictor of success than hard work. This is exemplified by the fact that the US ranks very poor in socioeconomic mobility; IE, the ability to do better than your parents. You hear that? America ranks badly at the American dream.
Quote:
Fine if you can, impossible if you can't.
Quote:

No u.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
My old neighbor says the same thing, of course he says it after his mommy kicked the bucket left him half a million and a house in North Carolina. He made the switch from Democrat to Republican faster than a light goes from yellow to red. Can't say I blame him though.
Yeah, "f you, got mine" is basically the calling card of the right.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:49 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Let me clue you in on something - no one living in f'n Massapequa is part of the plutocracy. Whatever part of the pie you think you have is crumbs at best.
The only pie they're eating in Massapequa is pizza.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:00 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:

You actually believe that crap? Blacks and other minorities been in this country as long as many of the "european immigrants" and some of them worked just as hard and in many cases harder, but how many of them do you see in the boardrooms of corp america. Do you cosign with some of the connected executives to big government contracts? How about the "hard workers" that inherited their fortunes and have NEVER worked in their lives? the way this system is set up the disparity between rich and poor is growing and will continue to grow, which means if you don't know someone you will only go but so far

Why would say that, because they told the truth how they made it?

Like your rich counterparts in Washington?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich10 View Post
By moving operations out of the US, companies pay a foreign tax rate. Since the foreign tax rate is lower, the company benefits. The US can not make a company pay US taxes on profits that it earns overseas.
True but they can be creative in taxing them in other ways or at least make it harder for them to make as much profits in this country

Old 07-27-2011, 09:12 AM

863 posts, read 2,108,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
You could do a Find/Replace on this whole thread subbing Rich for Job Creators and it would still be Bushhit.

No I think it's more like Regan****.

The republicans are still living this. The GOP Heads Straight for the Laffer Curve - BusinessWeek I still don 't understand how you become profitable by taking in less money. We already take in less tax revenue as a reflection of our GDP than we did ant any point before.

Can someone please explain the plan to me. Cut taxes and cut programs and the deficit will disappear. What is the deficit some demon that doing those two things will result in an exorcism?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
The congressmens salaries are nothing! They get from 2 to 6 million a year in expense money to run their offices! They only have to submit the invoices with no explanations! That's where the money is at! A study shows that there is limited spending until the 3rd and 4th qtr. At that point they realize they must spend the rest or return it! How are they supposed to know about budgets when the only budget is to spend the whole allocation.
True, but how about this little fact. Althought they make an average salary of 85k a year not to mention the various perks from lobbyist, they get the best healthcare plans for their families and staff FREE (well we pay for it). This reason alone is enough for me to believe NOTHING that any of them say about budgeting money is true. The first cuts should have been made to their own salaries and than eliminating the free ride that they can pay for in healthcare cost. Ironically these are the first people that dictate how much everyone else should pay in healthcare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies