Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 09:01 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Have you ever seen pictures of that humongous ship they run from China to our west coast. It goes back empty but is so big that it doesn't need to carry anything back. I think it makes the trip in under a week and can't wait to load up in the US. Besides that they (the Chinese) buy grain and the like from the US and nobody wants to haul that kind of load with what they send back. They can clean the ship up on the way back, also.

Their distribution system is second to none and those trucks are always going.
I have a lot of respect for their distribution system and I/t department. I've seen it in action.

And here's where we part I guess, I would like to see them increase the number of full time employees, reduce the number of part time and... pay their employees enough so that they don't have to receive assistance.

I wonder how much that would increase prices? I really don't know... but would it put them at a disadvantage compared to other competitors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 09:10 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,091 times
Quote:
You have to know that SEIU is not the kind of union that would be organizing Walmart employees. They organize public employees only.

When you watch what the unions did in Wisconsin last winter I don't see how you can support unions. The SEIU people in that one were making much more than like private company unions were but the others supported them because unions are unions and stick together. I was once a supporter of unions but after I saw what the UAW was doing to the auto manufacturers in this country back in the 60s I started being a bit anti-union and am now strong anti-union. They were very necessary back in the late 19th century and early 20th but today I think they need some controlling.
Yeah, I guess you're right about SEIU representing public employees.
But like I said in another thread, I just think that employers now have a lot more power than what they had back in the 60s. I actually criticized the unions back in the 60s because I thought at that time they hurt their members.
But now, I think the pendulum has swung the other way and employers now hold all of the cards. I think some balance is needed.

When it comes to public unions, I'm unsure of what the right answer is. I don't like that they contribute to the folks that then negotiate with them. On the other hand, I do think that employees need to be organized to negotiate fair contracts.

So, what do you do?
Not let those employees organize? That doesn't seem right
Let them organize but not contribute to candidates? Well, wouldn't that be a restriction of free speech that corporations and other unions have?
I'm still trying to think that through.

In the private sector though... yeah, I think employees need some organization to be able to negotiate with employers.

After all that, and if you read it all... thanks for listening! :-)

Old 07-22-2011, 09:11 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
As far as I am concerned shopping at Slave Mart is betraying America to sane 25 cents. There is no difference between it and crossing a picket line. I have never gone in a Slave Mart and won't until they unionize
you are safe then, for there is no such place as Slave Mart. I would guess you are attempting to be funny, but you fail at that, too....
Now if you mean Walmart, GREAT Place..! All your friends and family shop there, You are really missing out on something good.!!

Old 07-22-2011, 10:17 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If unions want to tell people how to run their businesses why don't they take that dues money (required from their membership) that they use to buy politicians and pay big union bosses, and instead, start their own corporation that pays a living wage? You know, actually provide jobs to those who expect rather than earn instead of liberal lip service!

just sayin.....

Actually I know of at least one instance where the union members did buy out their company.........they made a go of it too......
By the way.. it is illegal for union dues to go to political contributions.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
And we all know that the way to go is high-paying union jobs, huh? I mean...look how the auto industry has been so successful the last few years....er....wait.....
And their dilema had nothing to do with some stupid corporate decisions?
It is sad that unions have no say in business decisions.........time to bring us on board..........the ceo's and higher management are overrated

Old 07-22-2011, 10:20 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
Yeah, I guess you're right about SEIU representing public employees.
But like I said in another thread, I just think that employers now have a lot more power than what they had back in the 60s. I actually criticized the unions back in the 60s because I thought at that time they hurt their members.
But now, I think the pendulum has swung the other way and employers now hold all of the cards. I think some balance is needed.

When it comes to public unions, I'm unsure of what the right answer is. I don't like that they contribute to the folks that then negotiate with them. On the other hand, I do think that employees need to be organized to negotiate fair contracts.

So, what do you do?
Not let those employees organize? That doesn't seem right
Let them organize but not contribute to candidates? Well, wouldn't that be a restriction of free speech that corporations and other unions have?
I'm still trying to think that through.

In the private sector though... yeah, I think employees need some organization to be able to negotiate with employers.

After all that, and if you read it all... thanks for listening! :-)
Do you support "card checK" for unions? I can't accept that one since that gives the bosses way too much power.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighttttt......cuz we all know that Walmart has weekly sing-alongs and invites the public to gather and disrupt business.

Heck...maybe next week I'll head over to the Sporting Goods aisle and fire up a Coleman to sing kumbayah around it.
Why not they let all the old retired people do their morning jogging in their stores........A lot of em even have route signs.........Ticks me off too. why can't they run around the block?

Old 07-22-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Actually I know of at least one instance where the union members did buy out their company.........they made a go of it too......
By the way.. it is illegal for union dues to go to political contributions.
But Jeff there are ways to launder union dues money and they sure use them. Sometime look up how much money unions gave to Dems and Obama in 2008. Where else do they get money other than dues?

I have a story about when I forced my union to give back my share of the money they gave to Jimmy Carter when they didn't ask my permission. The union was the NEA (national teachers association) and they had to write me a check for $4.65 which was my share. I got the check and dropped them right at that time.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
And their dilema had nothing to do with some stupid corporate decisions?
It is sad that unions have no say in business decisions.........time to bring us on board..........the ceo's and higher management are overrated
Are you saying that unions own some part of their employing companies? If they don't then they should have no say as to how business is done. Now if you are the UAW that the US gave control of GM to then maybe you should have some say.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:38 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:
You have to know that SEIU is not the kind of union that would be organizing Walmart employees. They organize public employees only.
You're thinking of AFSCME.
SEIU represents "service employees."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies