Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 05:45 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Again I don't get why people think just because someone kills because of deeply held convictions that they are insane. Do you mean to tell me all the Islamic terrorists are insane?

Also it is not like this guy killed indiscriminately he targeted an indoctrination camp run by his enemies. Seems perfectly rational in light of his documented views.
okay, he's not insane. He's just an idiot. By killing dozens of people (including many teenagers) in a country with such a mindset and a quality of life that the police patrols the streets usually unarmed he's done nothing to help his cause and a lot to strengthen his enemies.

Last edited by noela; 07-25-2011 at 06:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 06:02 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
There's potential Timothy McVeigh's waiting in the bushes, all over Europe and the U.S.

Given the brewing resentment of immigrants all over Europe and the U.S., this could have happened anywhere, and may well happen again & again!

Take a right-wing individual in the U.S., unemployed for a couple years, desperate, secretly blaming the Mexican immigrants for his job loss or resigned to a minimum wage job.

Ah! A Cinco de Mayo celebration is coming up, there'll be lots of people there, how opportune!

Bang-Bang-Bang!
Yes so should just preemptively round up all of the unemployed whites just in case they get a rash of the anti-Mexican fever and decide to shoot up a Cinco de Mayo fiesta.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:05 AM

31 posts, read 32,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Yes so should just preemptively round up all of the unemployed whites just in case they get a rash of the anti-Mexican fever and decide to shoot up a Cinco de Mayo fiesta.
People get mad when they see entires hordes of people exploiting the system and the government catering to their interests.

Personally, I have nothing against mexicans but it kind of bothers me the exploitation of their kids, it seems they use them ONLY to get food stamps and welfare.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:37 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,038 times
There was a seminar I remember after that japanese cult tried to poison the entire Tokyo subway system. It found that while there are many crazy people with the inclination to take out their delusions in violence, and many who have organizational skills, there are very few who fall into both categories. The overlap is very small.

And to actually set up a society to reliably protect against this small number of people, whould require an amount of control and intrusivness on the level of old East Germany, or North Korea. Incompatible with freedom.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:31 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Default 93 Dead in Norway and The Maximum Sentence is 21 Years

If the shooter in Norway, is found guilty, the maximum sentence he can get for 93 (so far) people dead is 21 years because he cannot get 21 years for EACH death. They must, by law, run concurrently. They have no death penalty and they have no life imprisonment sentence.

Norway attack: legal process facing Anders Behring Breivik - Telegraph

Is that scr*wed up or what?

Old 07-25-2011, 07:35 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If the shooter in Norway, is found guilty, the maximum sentence he can get for 93 (so far) people dead is 21 years because he cannot get 21 years for EACH death. They must, by law, run concurrently. They have no death penalty and they have no life imprisonment sentence.

Norway attack: legal process facing Anders Behring Breivik - Telegraph

Is that scr*wed up or what?
Because they don't have crime in Norway?

I did listen to a report where there are...loopholes....to keep him locked up longer. Probablye has to do with mental condition, etc...

Old 07-25-2011, 07:39 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Because they don't have crime in Norway?

I did listen to a report where there are...loopholes....to keep him locked up longer. Probablye has to do with mental condition, etc...
Well, when his 21 years are up they can keep extending it 5 years if they think he's a threat to society but what kind of threat can be determined if he spent the last 21 years in prison?

Old 07-25-2011, 07:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
No, it's not screwed up. That's the types of laws the people want and voted for.
Just because other countries don't have laws like the US doesn't make them "screwed up".
It's their country, that's how THEY want to live.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:50 AM

156 posts, read 387,873 times
The guy is a total kook so I don't think he will be going anywhere when he comes up for parole at some point(if he is convicted and gets the maximum 21 years)...maybe they will make a new law because of him...what a strange system of justice though...I'm guessing their crime rates are very low there..

Old 07-25-2011, 07:53 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
I was thinking about that yesterday. What to do with a person like that?! Must be hard to impossible to "repair" that screwed up mind of his. At the same time he is not mentally sick in my view.
Since one cannot lock him away forever, the Norwegians probably have to try to socialize him, knowing society will have to deal with him again sooner or later. Maybe they can make him share a cell with the kind of people he hates so much

He just got lost in his radical thinking. He would have made a great dictator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies