Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 12:26 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And assuming 2006 was as well. So, why were republicans pushing for raising debt ceiling?
Because spending increased. Again, you look at half of the equation and pretending its a complete picture.
Quote:
If true, then the ridiculousness of trying to turn that ship around on a dime is even greater, much less in times when the focus should be on economic growth as opposed to the push for ideologies. No?
So why turn it around, lets just push the throttle forward, full foce right? You are finally seeing the light though, that it should be focused on economic growth, and tax increases NEVER result in economic growth.
Quote:
The reason I brought it up was because you missing the point that recession has a LOT to do with the deficit?
No **** shirlock homes, but YOU are pretending that tax revenues will increase revenues, and by your own admission its A RECESSION causing the problem.
Quote:
and your idea of trying to balance the budget while the tax revenues are substantially lower.
So its your claim that increasing the tax rate will cure the recession?
Quote:
But then, if it were simply about balancing the budget, you won't be out here defending the republicans who didn't consider that option in 2001 and in 2006, and every other year through the $3.14 Trillion dollar spending they engaged in FY2008.
Deficits and debt is meaningless if you use that debt to GROW the economy, and thus increase the GDP which generates more revenues. Increasing debt is a very very bad idea when its used to reduce the economy, and thats whats taking place now. While the GDP is up a percentage or two due to the spending, its an artificial bump and artificial bumps dont generate tax revenues. REAL ones generate revenues and if your only concern is how much money the government has, then you should be supporting THE OPPOSITE of whats taking place because you cant drain the economy of cash and then ask people to spend..
Quote:
Amusing that you're pointing at me as sticking to ONE side of the coin, when it is people like you who need to get a clue that balancing the budget can't be done with the idea of being a one-trick pony. Budget requires consideration of spending AND revenue. But then, that would require TWO aspects that you would rather see as one (spending)? No?
Actually no. Balanced budgets are not a consideration of spending, its a considering of NOT spending. As for the revenues, which you JUST said above, was low due to the recession, I have to now again ask you how taking more money out of the economy improves the economy? If that was true, then we should increase the tax rate to 100% and watch the economy boom right? hogwash!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 12:27 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Because they were irresponsible. Now we're seeing irresponsible plus some.
I would say that they are still being irresponsible.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:33 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
In OBAMAS OWN WORDS and which he voted against............. The hits keep on a coming....

Well said obama when Bush was President.... But I suppose that does not apply to this administration.

Here are Obama’s thoughts on the debt limit in 2006, when he voted against increasing the ceiling:

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure.

It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills.

It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. …

Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that ‘the buck stops here.

Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren.

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.

We could not agree more obama!!!!!

Obama: Not Always a Fan of Upping Debt Ceiling - By Katrina Trinko - The Corner - National Review Online

Obama 2006 vs. Obama January 2011 vs. Obama April 2011 on the Debt Ceiling

Obama 2006 vs. Obama January 2011 vs. Obama April 2011 on the Debt Ceiling - Political Punch
It's not his fault.....the TELEPROMPTER made him do it.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Because spending increased. Again, you look at half of the equation and pretending its a complete picture.
Spending increase followed. I'm asking, why didn't they push for balanced budget and opposition to raise debt ceiling in "good times" when they were in control?

Quote:
So why turn it around, lets just push the throttle forward, full foce right? You are finally seeing the light though, that it should be focused on economic growth, and tax increases NEVER result in economic growth.
Shameless, considering you've been put in place several times (and please go ahead on the subject in the other threads running on it if you haven't had your fill yet). But that doesn't matter here, since I'm focusing on the topic here... debt ceiling and balanced budget.

Quote:
No **** shirlock homes, but YOU are pretending that tax revenues will increase revenues, and by your own admission its A RECESSION causing the problem.
No Watson, Sherlock is trying to have a discussion on Debt Ceiling and Balancing the Budget, while using "good times" versus "bad times" for a perspective. Can you prepare self to join him?

Quote:
Deficits and debt is meaningless if you use that debt to GROW the economy, and thus increase the GDP which generates more revenues.
"IF". And we know how that has worked out since 2001.

Quote:
Actually no. Balanced budgets are not a consideration of spending, its a considering of NOT spending.
Why do you think I thought it was amusing for you to accuse me of pushing for only one side?

Old 07-22-2011, 12:51 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Spending increase followed. I'm asking, why didn't they push for balanced budget and opposition to raise debt ceiling in "good times" when they were in control?
Deficits were dropping and despite war spending, they would have almost been balanced. What else would you have had them to do? My preference would have been if they cut more spending, but they didnt, and we all know liberals love spending anyways. So why are you complaining about it? The CBO even said that revenues were up due to GDP growth. But you are now officially on record admitting that spending increases followed.. Right when DEMOCRATS took over. Finally getting some truth out of you, even if its by accident.
Quote:
Shameless, considering you've been put in place several times (and please go ahead on the subject in the other threads running on it if you haven't had your fill yet). But that doesn't matter here, since I'm focusing on the topic here... debt ceiling and balanced budget.
Actually the topic isnt the debt ceiling and balanced budgets, the topic is Obamas opinion of the debt ceiling and balanced budgets.
Quote:
No Watson, Sherlock is trying to have a discussion on Debt Ceiling and Balancing the Budget, while using "good times" versus "bad times" for a perspective. Can you prepare self to join him?
Anotherwords, you are trying to change the subject?
Quote:
"IF". And we know how that has worked out since 2001.
There is no IF, involved. GDP grew during most of the Bush years, as well as revenues until we reached an economic recession, which YOU admitted is responsible for financial deficits
Quote:
Why do you think I thought it was amusing for you to accuse me of pushing for only one side?
You continue to non stop push one side, proclaiming that we're in a recession and thus we need to raise taxes which increase revenues, (your claim, which is 100% wrong), but never ONCE have I seen you suggest we need to cut REAL spending.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:00 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,365,472 times
Quote:
How was the economy doing in 2006? What were the republicans doing? Asking for raising debt ceiling or hell bent on balancing the budget? I don't expect the right wingers to comprehend the need right now, but I'm sure those are simple enough questions for them to be able to answer?
I am not a partisan and would agree with you that they stunk up the place when the nearly controlled all 3 branches. You make a solid point about them raising the debt ceiling during the Bush years. Heck in 2008 they had the {D}s who were against raising the ceiling, seems that would have been a oppurtune time for them to jump on board. Considering they talk about cutting deficit and shrinking gvt.

Keep in mind that the {R}s lousy performance and acting like RINO's during those years is why they were booted in droves in 08. So far I see big time improvements and I hope they keep it up.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:20 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
I would say that they are still being irresponsible.
I wouldn't disagree, but if you say they were irresponsible then because they spent too much and needed to increase the debt limit, it seems to follow that you would have to include the President and the Democrats in the group of the irresponsible given that they are spending even more.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Anotherwords, you are trying to change the subject?
No Watson, Sherlock sees this thread to be discussing debt ceiling, in 2006. Do you get it now? Next...

[quoteDeficits were dropping and despite war spending, they would have almost been balanced...[/quote]
So, the debate on debt ceiling is unnecessary, as budget can be balanced without it... Nice. Anyway, looking at deficits, if they were dropping, wouldn't it have been the perfect time to NOT raise the ceiling? Or, would keeping the debt ceiling where it was, going to have an adverse effect and they wanted none of that? And that it was a good thing they did raise the ceiling?

Old 07-22-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I wouldn't disagree, but if you say they were irresponsible then because they spent too much and needed to increase the debt limit, it seems to follow that you would have to include the President and the Democrats in the group of the irresponsible given that they are spending even more.
Good politicians! Let us ask them to "sit" and see if they obey.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:47 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I find it ironic that you ask, "How was the economy doing in 2006?". According to many posters on here the entire 8 years under Bush was a disaster. They keep repeating it over and over.

Are you saying that the 2006 economy was doing so well we didn't need to increase the debt limit?
No kidding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies