Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 11:35 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
LOL. Yes, I get the "gist" of it. Another Christer assuming I'm an atheist. As a Deist, I believe in a Creator. I also know that Creator is NOT the Christian/Biblical god. Those of us who can "figure it out" as you put it, know that the origins of The Bible and its god are entirely human.

And no, most scientists are not Christians. Christianity does not square with reality. For starters real Gods don't need sons, nor do they need to be nailed to wooden torture devices as a sacrifice to themselves in order to forgive sins.
In the spirit of compromise, what do you think of this? BTW I am not a Christian, I suppose I fall into the no religion category.

Theistic evolution

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Evolutionary creationism)

Theistic evolution or evolutionary creation is a concept that asserts that classical religious teachings about God are compatible with the modern scientific understanding about biological evolution. In short, theistic evolutionists believe that there is a God, that God is the creator of the material universe and (by consequence) all life within, and that biological evolution is simply a natural process within that creation. Evolution, according to this view, is simply a tool that God employed to develop human life.
Theistic evolution is not a scientific theory, but a particular view about how the science of evolution relates to religious belief and interpretation. Theistic evolution supporters can be seen as one of the groups who reject the conflict thesis regarding the relationship between religion and science – that is, they hold that religious teachings about creation and scientific theories of evolution need not contradict. Proponents of this view are sometimes described as Christian Darwinists.[1][2]

expose kids to both, that way both sides are happy.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:18 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Everyone feels lust, not all of us give into it.
What does that have to do with sexual orientation? A gay person can be a virgin and still be gay.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Prayer never hurt anybody. These people were searching for help, and someone was there to try to help them, in the only way they knew how. So what.
A lot of the time, we go to a doctor and he has no idea what is wrong with us, but hopefully he will do his best to help relieve our suffering. It hurts doc when I do this........well quit doing that! Now that you have free rein to do what you do, the doctors have to come up with all kinds of new research on the diseases you will bring onto yourself and the rest of society. Plus adding to the further moral corruption of our youth.
If you went to a medical doctor because you had the flu and he insisted of burning some feathers, waving them over you, mumbling a few words, telling you you chose to have the flu, and then charging you a fortune for his "cure", is the doctor being unethical and morally corrupt?

This is the equivalent of what Bachmann's "clinic" does with gay people.

Ethical therapists do not try to force their religious beliefs on clients.

Ethical therapists do not try to convince gay clients that they must have been sexually abused as a child or had a distant father and other such discredited nonsense just because the therapist needs to find some reason, even if it is complete unsupported BS, that a person is gay other than being innately homosexual.

Ethical therapists use evidence-based practice, not unsupported, disproven, ineffective, and potentially harmful quackery on people who do not even need to be "cured".

We already know the type of "therapy" that Bachmann's clinic uses is not only useless, but harmful. This clinic is morally corrupt if it is charging money for this so-called "therapy".

This is what the APA's 2009 report says about this type of "therapy".

http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources...c-response.pdf

Last edited by Ceist; 08-04-2011 at 06:44 AM..

Old 08-04-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why do some gay people think they need help? Because they are made to feel that way by conservative and religious people in the first place.
Praying as such in pointless. You might as well dance around your spare tire.
I wonder if Bachmann makes these self-hating gay people dance around his spare tyre?

Old 08-04-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
In the spirit of compromise, what do you think of this? BTW I am not a Christian, I suppose I fall into the no religion category.

Theistic evolution

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Evolutionary creationism)

Theistic evolution or evolutionary creation is a concept that asserts that classical religious teachings about God are compatible with the modern scientific understanding about biological evolution. In short, theistic evolutionists believe that there is a God, that God is the creator of the material universe and (by consequence) all life within, and that biological evolution is simply a natural process within that creation. Evolution, according to this view, is simply a tool that God employed to develop human life.
Theistic evolution is not a scientific theory, but a particular view about how the science of evolution relates to religious belief and interpretation. Theistic evolution supporters can be seen as one of the groups who reject the conflict thesis regarding the relationship between religion and science – that is, they hold that religious teachings about creation and scientific theories of evolution need not contradict. Proponents of this view are sometimes described as Christian Darwinists.[1][2]

expose kids to both, that way both sides are happy.
Not in a science classroom. That would be ridiculous. In the comparative world religions classes or mythology classes perhaps.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:31 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's behavior like this that does not endear anyone who is conservative to any gay cause.

Gay ‘barbarians’ storm Bachmann clinic demanding to be ‘disciplined’ (Video) – LGBTQ Nation

There's video on the link. It's funny and pathetic at the same time.

Why should anyone take seriously a group like this who uses guerrilla tactics to get their point across. Going into a private business to throw glitter around when they are denied access.

Private clinic, nobody twists anyone's arm to go there for treatment.
Oh My, glitter, those big meanies, they could have hurt someone. Guess the righties ain't so tough after all, scared of a little glitter.:r olleyes:
Casper

Old 08-04-2011, 10:40 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
But that clinic doesn't go out with a big pink bus painted with rainbow stripes and snatch gays off the street, people go to the clinic strictly of their own will. Nobody forces them to go there. It's an option for some who want to change their lifestyle. So why the attack? It just shows up how irrational some gay factions are and reinforces what some people think about homosexuals.

Is there anyone around this message board who would endorse what they did? And why would anyone endorse people trespassing on private property and throwing glitter around a clinic.
If they were trespassing, then I'm sure they will get what they deserve. On the other hand, I find it hard to really fault them. What that clinic does is dangerous and is not supported by a single mental health organization with any credibility. I understand why some gays would seek out their services. Living in a world surrounded by people who think you are sick and disgusting because you have same-sex attractions is enormous incentive to want to be "normal", or at least do everything you can to appear so. Unfortunately, you just can't change sexuality. You can live in denial, perhaps, and ignore what it is you are feeling, but how is that a healthy, rational life? What this clinic does represents everything wrong about religion and bigotry and ignorance, and even if you disagree with the manner of protest against it, I find it hard to believe that any logical, rational person would ever, COULD ever, support an organization like that.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Now that is hard to understand but then that is a crime described in the Holy Bible and that makes it just plain wrong to a lot of people.
Since the Bible is neither the rule of law or followed by everyone, why should what it says matter to anyone but those personally following it? The fact remains that much of what is said in the Bible is disagreed upon, not to mention that so much of it is selectively followed. To me, this is simply about human beings and their discomfort with things they do not collectively understand. Since the majority of the population is heterosexual, it is no surprise that homosexuality is looked upon as so foreign, and throw in religion and it's even worse. This is no different from the countless other examples in history of minority groups meeting discrimination on a widespread scale. One example in particular sticks out for me, and that is with Native Americans, particularly the Cherokee. The Cherokee did just about everything they could to try to adapt to white, European culture. Why, because they were desperate to maintain their lives in their homelands, to not be wiped out completely as a people. In the end, it didn't much work anyway. The point is that people, when desperate or under high stress, are prone to do or believe anything. Gays who feel so much pressure to be "normal" can become convinced that they can change. Yet why is it that so many, having gone through this "therapy" end up getting caught back in homosexual relations? Because sexuality is not a disease to cure. It's not a broken arm that just needs a cast. It is what it is, and no matter how much denial you are in, you can't fool physical attraction.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Obviously these people need to get a life,

Anyone treated for homosexuality by this clinic has to request it. In other words, no one will even mention it unless you do first.

The next obvious question then becomes, if I am gay, do I have a right to not be gay?

How is harassing those who choose to not be gay morally superior to harassing those who choose to be gay?

With the possible exception of the animal rights loons, homosexuals are clearly the most intolerant fringe group out there.
You have the right to believe sexuality can be changed. Unfortunately, believing something doesn't make it reality. It just makes you a sad example of how society, and religious pressure in particular, can destroy someone's self worth enough to be self-delusional.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Okay, I'm not religious but I think declaring yourself gay is a poor choice.
There is something wrong with these people.
The flakes in this video are not people I would associate with, allow my children to associate with or want anywhere near a school agenda.

If this make me a homophobe then yup, these freaks are freaks.

That said, I dont think, or at least I certainly hope they don't represent rank and file gay people.
Putting a badge of honor on your own ignorance is not a sign of a rational, empathetic person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies