Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 01:38 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

We've built the world wide economy on debt. If this went down, and the President didn't respond with a 14th amendment solution, I feel that it would shut down the current world market.

It would be a world wide depression. What generally happens then are wars and relying on your own natural resources. If you can't get that resource at home, you go and take it abroad.

But in a nuclear age, no one knows what will happen exactly. I think for 70% of us life will go on as just about normal. For 30% of us though, good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 06:15 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
If I get neither my Disabled Veterans Compensation or Social Security I will apply to the Army for my Pension, which I can not collect now because I collect from the VA. That and my savings will have to do. I don't know what i will do about the Health Care the VA provides. I guess Medicare will be down too. Good thing I'm only 20 minutes from Mexico, perhaps the third world governments are more compitent than ours
Are people really so stupid that they think we'll default and stop paying bills if they don't raise the debt ceiling? We generate 200 billion a month in revenue, and SS costs under 30 billion.

If those checks don't go out, don't blame the debt ceiling. Start marching towards Washington, because it will have been a conscious choice to hold back that money. They'd just be sitting on all that unspent money, funding the EPA, and the gazillion entitlement programs that are useless.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:16 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
We've built the world wide economy on debt. If this went down, and the President didn't respond with a 14th amendment solution, I feel that it would shut down the current world market.

It would be a world wide depression. What generally happens then are wars and relying on your own natural resources. If you can't get that resource at home, you go and take it abroad.

But in a nuclear age, no one knows what will happen exactly. I think for 70% of us life will go on as just about normal. For 30% of us though, good luck.
Did you vote for Obama? Because if you did, you voted for someone that voted many times for this to happen. WHAT? It's really not gloom, doom and total devastation? Must be scare tactics from the liar-in-chief.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:21 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete53FR View Post
As I live mostly on my Social Security Retirement and VA Disability checks I am very concerned about the idiots in Washington not doing what needs to be done. Monday I am going to suspend all my automatic checks cause I have no idea if my checks will come on time or at all.

What makes me even more curious is where is business on this issue that seems to have no resolution. All I know is that many Americans are being placed in a bad position because of bad politicians.

I needed to rant.
Well you should go out and celebrate the november tea party elections if you voted for them.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Are people really so stupid that they think we'll default and stop paying bills if they don't raise the debt ceiling? We generate 200 billion a month in revenue, and SS costs under 30 billion.

If those checks don't go out, don't blame the debt ceiling. Start marching towards Washington, because it will have been a conscious choice to hold back that money. They'd just be sitting on all that unspent money, funding the EPA, and the gazillion entitlement programs that are useless.
People don't bother to verify. They take what is spewed on the MSM as gospel truth and the MSM is no better by playing that same soundbite over and over and over.

TV has to be the worlds greatest propaganda machine. Just play a soundbite a few times and most "will see the light and BELIEVE" !

But did the MSM play the followup..Congress asking the SS guy directly about the 8/3 payments ? Nope they didn't.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:25 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
It will be life as usual for me.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:27 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
spend a large part of my retirement time working to defeat the tea partiers in congress!

Old 07-23-2011, 06:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
spend a large part of my retirement time working to defeat the tea partiers in congress!
Well it's not the Tea Party that threatened to hold up your SS check..it was a Democrat. There is revenue to pay SS and if it's not paid it will be because someone said to hold it up rather than no money in the coffers.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:23 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,357 times
Quote:
I'm glad your spending retirement time trying to put future generations in more debt.

Way to go!

Old 07-23-2011, 07:34 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
I'm glad your spending retirement time trying to put future generations in more debt.

Way to go!
As long as s/he gets his SS checks, who cares, right? Typical liberal "I want it all now and I don't care how many future generations get screwed over and have to pay for it" mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies