Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 02:41 PM

355 posts, read 209,838 times

Advertisements

There are a couple potential explanations. One is that the American worker is getting more productive, but is not getting compensated for it. Instead, productivity gains have been captured by the upper 1%.

CEO's have turned into rock stars and many insulate their pay with through compensation committees and inbreeding of boards of directors.

Quote:
One study of 1,500 firms that found that the compensation earned by the top five corporate officers in 1993-5 equaled 5 percent of their firms' total profits during that period; by 2000-2, that ratio had more than doubled to 12.8 percent. The trend was caused in equal parts by arbitrary pay decisions by corporate boards and by the showering of stock options on CEOs, they conclude.
http://www.nber.org/digest/dec08/w13982.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 02:49 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
After observing what has happened across the globe I sadly agree that this is indeed possible. Unfortunately that will further damage the ability of the average citizen to gain and obtain wealth and give even more power and wealth to those already holding it en mass. It is not as though the plight of the average Egyptian has improved since their "Arab Spring" nor has the life of the average greek improved with each bailout.
In due time...

Old 07-24-2011, 02:56 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,941,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Drink Water View Post
There are a couple potential explanations. One is that the American worker is getting more productive, but is not getting compensated for it. Instead, productivity gains have been captured by the upper 1%.

CEO's have turned into rock stars and many insulate their pay with through compensation committees and inbreeding of boards of directors.

The corporate model worships profit above all else, so this is a natural consequence of such a model.

As for American workers, plenty of those, just few jobs.

No coincidence there is a direct correlation w/ millions and millions of US jobs sent to China and their rise from back of the line to 2nd and looks to be first in GDP ranks.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:34 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,851,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I'm not sure why any of this information matters..... Why does anyone care about the income or wealth gap?
To prevent the US from having income disparity such as is seen in third world countries. I believe the income disparity we are seeing in the US is unhealthy for the progression of any country.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:43 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,851,772 times
Quote:

I agree. CEO's have little responsibility or little risk anymore. They have an endless source of money from investors (stock market in which the little guy invests hoping for a return) and even if the company fails, they have this source available to pay themselves out with umbrella benefits, compensation, etc....

Old 07-24-2011, 05:53 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,388,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I cant believe someone is asking the question..

When more and more people rely upon government for a living, then the obvious result is that those who do not rely upon government can and will earn more. The bottom gets poorer, the top gets richer.

Your 2nd graph proves this to be true. More and more on the bottom, remaining relatively flat, leaves more and more money for everyone else. There is more money in circulation now than before, so where else would it go?
Why do you think that more people rely upon assistance to get by?
Because they want to? I don't think so....

And, isn't the deck stacked in favor to reward those who have the power to direct it to themselves?

Where else would it go? I don't know... back in the days when the disparity wasn't so great it was available to more folks than it is now.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:58 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,088,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That happened, but most damaging structural changes occurred in people's attitudes.
And what would those attitudes be?

Old 07-24-2011, 06:42 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
And what would those attitudes be?

You know them,, you don't even have to ask.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:26 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,775,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicane View Post
LOL, this social conservative is sitting in a split level executive on a lake and my children are in private school. You should have more respect for the rich and wealthy who employ you. The reaeaon for the despairity is the great societies hand outs that gave power to the government to steal money from those who would earn it and give it to the lazy, corrupt unions and their own special interests
Woohoo! Let me kiss your ring. Noone said no conservatives were wealthy, but the majority simply are not.

Yes, all the victories won by unions and government investment are why the last century was just an abject failure in America...

Old 07-24-2011, 07:28 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,775,353 times
Quote:

How dare you talk about wealth redistribution. Those CEOs earned every penny! And those workers should just watch their step. They can be replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies