Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 01:20 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That'll never happen. A new legislative body, with powers similar to Congress, would need a Constitutional amendment. So we know it'll never happen. The US Congress might approve, but I doubt the states will
Right, because Congress doesn't illegally vote away more and more of their Constitutional power with every piece of legislation that they pass without reading.

Just this past week Boehner/Reid tried to so that with their "back-up" debt ceiling plan and turn the Congressional purse strings over to the POTUS.

It has already happened. The structure is already in place: behemouth bureaucratic agencies, czars, IRS as the SS of the federal government, etc... .

Wake up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 01:30 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
This was mentioned on Meet the Press this morning. It wouldn't actually be a new legislative branch. It would be made up of a bi-partisan group of 12 congressional members; 6 from each party and 6 from the Senate and 6 from the House. They would approve legislation and then it would be fast tracked with the rest of the members of Congress only able to vote up or down.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:48 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,191,946 times
I heard rumors that bigfoot is real and aliens live among us. What's your point?

Old 07-24-2011, 05:30 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
A new legislative body, with powers similar to Congress, would need a Constitutional amendment. The US Congress might approve, but I doubt the states will
Whether it is true or not, and regardless of the fact that I would be no proponent for the creation of such a body, there is nothing that I can see that would make such a super committee extra-constitutional. There are more than few joint committees comprised of members of the House and the Senate. The rules of what is rumored to be proposed would be nothing particularly different in nature with the exception that any legislation that would come out of it could only be amended by an up or down vote. The Constitution is silent on how legislation is passed by the Congress and as a result the rules governing the conduct of both bodies is purely up to themselves. I see nothing unconstitutional about such a super committee it.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:36 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
'Super Congress': Debt Ceiling Negotiators Aim To Create New Legislative Body

Suppsodly a new super congress is slated to be created if these rumors hold true. I hope not btw. What do you guys think of this new fourth body that supposed to play nice along legelsative, judicial and executive branches of government? This super congress has twelve members like a comittee or a panel, or a board or even a consul simlar to that of ancient rome and napoleonic France and we all know how that turned out. What you guys thinik about this new body, and oh yeah its not part of the constititution?

We have that, it is called the Supreme Court.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:38 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Who was it that tried to add more Justices to stack it in his favor?
Was he Progressive? Or a Constitutional Conservative?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies