Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 11:30 AM

84 posts, read 54,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The Dems took over for 2 years and ran through money like it was no tomorrow with no concern. They didn't even pass a budget in 2010. The effects of the stimulus wore off and we're back to where we started out.

Republicans have been in the House only for 6 months and you call "Republican's fault" ?

Blind partisanship is all I can attribute this to.
I would have been happy if the Republican party did what it promised in 2000 which was to eliminate the federal debt in the first place. I am stilling waiting for my $5 trillion the Republicans promised to put towards eliminating the debt. You want to complain about spending like there was no tomorrow, where were you 11 years ago when we could have solved this problem?

What did the Republican party platform say about the Bush tax cuts and what Congress did right after it?

"Republicans lowered taxes in 2001 and 2003 in order to encourage economic growth, put more money in the pockets of every taxpayer, and make the system fairer. It worked. If Congress had then controlled its spending, we could have done even more"

Republicans are so dumb, they don't even realize that if they didn't spend so much from 2000-2006 they would have continued to control Congress and the White House even today. You have only yourselves to blame for lying to the American people. You want to complain about Obama and the liberals spending so much, look in the mirror and realize you gave Americans no choice but to vote for them, and now look at what you did. You reap what you have sowed. Even when it is written for you by the people who did it, some of you will still never learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 11:40 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Well, if they go with a no tax hike option, and cut the deficit, and avoid a default that will get us over this immediate crisis, but lay off a bunch of federal employees,etc., it will not help the economy. Quite the opposite.

However, I think the notion that we can run the country on 16% of GDP is just not true. I hope that everone who made a pledge to Grover Norquist gets the heave ho in 2012. It is a terrible idea. Taxes and revenues must rise and fall in concert with real expenses.

The Bush tax cuts and wars were a case in point. Did he ask for sacrifice in higher tax rates during the boom? Of course not. Tax cuts were the only acceptable republican option in boom and bust, war and peace.

The truth of the matter is, government cost about 18-20% of GDP, which is not at all outrageous. I think most Americans agree with me, and I think they will not look fondly on the republicans in 2012. My 2 cents.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 07-25-2011 at 12:13 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 11:57 AM

415 posts, read 615,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
While people without unique skills, connections or even advanced education may have been able to make very high salaries in the US in the past couple of decades, that's probably a phenomenon of the past. I predict the US will start to resemble modern day Mexico: Large lower class vs small extremely wealthy upper class...high unemployment...scarcity of goods.
Except I wonder...do the wealthy of this country really want to live in the American equivalent of Mexico? From what I have heard and read, the rich can't roam freely in Mexico; they have to travel in protected groups because of kidnappers, rapists, thieves and the poor. And somehow, I'm doubtful that poor Americans are going to quietly accept their fate and sell candy on the roadside while their naked children also peddle candy. I think our country would just kill off the rich. We've already got a lot of hate on rich people in this country. I can see it escalating if too many Americans are poor and cannot provide for their families.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:11 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Big question is, do they know, or are they intent go be memorialized in History by the "Great Republican Depression" of 2011? Or, maybe "The Huge Norquist Boehner of 2011".

Wonkbook: Republicans have won. But can they stop there? - Ezra Klein - The Washington Post
What a baised article -- even for the Washington Post. In their recap of the proposals of each side they fail to mention the two bills that passed the House. They made it sound like the Dems were the ones making proposals and the Republican were the obstructionists. The truth is exactly the opposite. I guess that's a preview of how the MSM will spin this whole thing after the deal (ANY deal) passes.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:18 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
What a baised article -- even for the Washington Post. In their recap of the proposals of each side they fail to mention the two bills that passed the House. They made it sound like the Dems were the ones making proposals and the Republican were the obstructionists. The truth is exactly the opposite. I guess that's a preview of how the MSM will spin this whole thing after the deal (ANY deal) passes.
The republicans are acting like they are the budget hawks but refuse to raise taxes EVER, even to let the moronic Bush tax cuts expire. The result is to force an axe job to the federal government. A horrible idea, that appeals to a minority on princple, but in reality would be a disaster.

Because of this republican failure accept basic arithmetic and compromise, both of which should by all rights be prerequisites of serving in our congress, the impasse continues.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:22 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Big question is, do they know, or are they intent go be memorialized in History by the "Great Republican Depression" of 2011? Or, maybe "The Huge Norquist Boehner of 2011".

Wonkbook: Republicans have won. But can they stop there? - Ezra Klein - The Washington Post
Thru 8 years of runaway spending from the idiot frat boy from Texas Republicans said nothing. It was only when a Democrat came to office they objected, and only for the sole reason they saw their chance to kill entitlement programs that help the working poor.

Aside from their lust for the invasion of Iraq that killed somewhere around a million people (solely for the benefit of the M.I.C. and oil companies) they now are targeting the American poor under the guise of "financial responsibility", the tragically sad part is they have convinced their clueless followers to vote against their own best interests, and the interests of America.

I can't help but think Democrats play along with these people, conceding "to get a deal done" and essentially enabling future obstructionism from this party, which offers nothing but obstructionism.

The GOP "War on the Poor" has picked up steam since their transparently phony attempts to "stop spending" has not ONE instance of making the wealthy pay their fair share, nor does it cut their pork barrel spending on ag. subsidies, tax loopholes/breaks for the wealthiest, or cut the Golden Goose defense budget.

And it wouldn't be possible if the American electorate were not so clueless, namely conservatives. This is the government we deserve I guess, as long as Americans remain clueless, they will work like a thief at night.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
Except I wonder...do the wealthy of this country really want to live in the American equivalent of Mexico? From what I have heard and read, the rich can't roam freely in Mexico; they have to travel in protected groups because of kidnappers, rapists, thieves and the poor. And somehow, I'm doubtful that poor Americans are going to quietly accept their fate and sell candy on the roadside while their naked children also peddle candy. I think our country would just kill off the rich. We've already got a lot of hate on rich people in this country. I can see it escalating if too many Americans are poor and cannot provide for their families.
All those fancy weapons can be turned and used here to "keep security", and with years of experience at torture, that too can help "keep security"
By the time the sheep wake up, it will be too late.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
None of the above. That's the problem with the view point of liberals. They just don't get it. Its the prism with which you view the world that is at issue.
Textbook example.

Psychological projection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-25-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
The Republicans have not yet won. They are, however, trying to destroy Obama, at the risk of destroying America.

It will not happen.
These people are hell bent on destroying this country for everyone but the richest 5%, don't think it won't happen. Look at how this country has changed in only the past decade under Bush. Look at how they've sold us all out in order to insure the richest avoid paying taxes, look at how they sold us all out to use our military as a private defense force for oil companies in the Middle East, look at how they ran up enormous debt under Bush, look at how many JOBS were LOST under Bush (in 2008 more jobs were lost than in any year since 1945!)

They are quite content to make America a Third World country, and this thread shows how many cheerleaders they have convinced.

Combine ignorance, fear, and propaganda and this is what we get. And it likely gets worse before it gets better.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:48 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
These people are hell bent on destroying this country for everyone but the richest 5%, don't think it won't happen. Look at how this country has changed in only the past decade under Bush. Look at how they've sold us all out in order to insure the richest avoid paying taxes, look at how they sold us all out to use our military as a private defense force for oil companies in the Middle East, look at how they ran up enormous debt under Bush, look at how many JOBS were LOST under Bush (in 2008 more jobs were lost than in any year since 1945!)

They are quite content to make America a Third World country, and this thread shows how many cheerleaders they have convinced.

Combine ignorance, fear, and propaganda and this is what we get. And it likely gets worse before it gets better.
I know, Odanny, but if I can keep some semblance of hope then maybe sanity will prevail. The jerk politicians in D.C. are more concerned with beating Obama and the Democrats than they are concerned about America. It's all a game for them.

People are acting like this spending started in 2008, but stick their heads in the sand about the trillions of debt we incurred under the the cheney/bush reign. They forget all about the day bush came out and gave his emergency state of the union address over the TARP. The market was CRASHING.

It's just sickening. And it is unforgivable if the Republicans want to beat Obama so badly that they will hold out to force a debt ceiling raise TWICE before the 2012 elections.

The numbers show that most Americans want the debt ceiling raised and a BALANCED approach to reigning in the spending. The republicans refuse to listen.

If the republicans insist on forcing the debt ceiling to be raised twice before the 2012 elections I think Obama should veto it and use the power of the Presidency to save this country. That has been discussed and it is iffy, but he does have, as the Commander in Chief the power and the responsibility to save this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies