U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 02:35 PM

2,965 posts, read 5,783,251 times

Advertisements

‪Hindery Says Budget Cuts Without Revenue Will Cost Jobs‬‏ - YouTube

A rich businessman and job creator. I know it's long but he talks about both the debt crisis and inequality in this country.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 07-26-2011 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: Discussion should be kept to topic and not fellow posters
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 02:42 PM

41,313 posts, read 42,268,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post

‪Hindery Says Budget Cuts Without Revenue Will Cost Jobs‬‏ - YouTube

A rich businessman and job creator. I know it's long but he talks about both the debt crisis and inequality in this country.

When rebutting his arguments, please state what your qualifications are and your sources.
This Leo Hindery?

Leo Hindery - dKosopedia

Quote:
"I am deeply committed to the Democratic Party, its ideals and its future, and I will work to ensure Democratic victories throughout the country at all levels, because I believe that our Party's values-hope, opportunity, fairness-are the values that benefit all Americans."
He's a leftist.

Not just thread FAIL, but epic, classic, thread FAIL.

OP, who do you think you're kidding?

Old 07-25-2011, 02:45 PM

2,965 posts, read 5,783,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This Leo Hindery?

Leo Hindery - dKosopedia

He's a leftist.

Not just thread FAIL, but epic, classic, thread FAIL.
How is this a fail? I asked to address and rebutt his analysis. It looks like you refuse to do so because he is a democrat?

Old 07-25-2011, 02:47 PM

357 posts, read 191,237 times
I am not a modern day con, but I know much about economic policy. However, I am not going to watch a 13 minute video.

Why don't you sum up the arguments in the video or do you lack credentials for writing summary points?

Old 07-25-2011, 02:48 PM

41,313 posts, read 42,268,303 times
Quote:
How is this a fail? I asked to address and rebutt his analysis. It looks like you refuse to do so because he is a democrat?
Your thread title is misleading.

Is he an economist....or nothing but a political hack for the democrat party?

You forgot to mention that part of his bio.

I don't see him listed as an economist.

Besides, I imagine he advocates for more of the same of the last 2 1/2 years under obamanomics. Why in the world would anyone listen to him?

Again, you describe him as an economist in the thread title - maybe you should edit that FALSE assertion.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:54 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,005,557 times
Quote:
Not objective -

1) Yes, if Govt spending is cut, yes some will loose jobs. However, these are Govt jobs. I am fine with cutting Govt jobs, with the pensions and Life long benefits. As a consumer, and tax payer I don't want to pay for this. So I say, in the short term it is fine to cut Govt. jobs and let those flks join the private sector.

2) person being interviewed is focused on infrastructure jobs - well, where would we get the money for this? Are we going to use money allocated for Healthcare and allocate for infrstructure. No, I am sure it would be a raise in taxes..so one group could pay for others to have a job. If we privatized the funding for infrastructure growth, and outsourced to non govt workers I would be fine with this.

3) A bunch of non sense about fair share again. Those who cry never define fair share, just that they feel that others don't pay a fair share. What is a fair share?
Easy to ask for others to pay for ones bills when they expect someone else to foot the bill. Again, one should not ask others to pay a higher rate unless they are willing to do so also.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:58 PM

22,769 posts, read 28,530,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
Not objective -

1) Yes, if Govt spending is cut, yes some will loose jobs. However, these are Govt jobs. I am fine with cutting Govt jobs, with the pensions and Life long benefits. As a consumer, and tax payer I don't want to pay for this. So I say, in the short term it is fine to cut Govt. jobs and let those flks join the private sector.

2) person being interviewed is focused on infrastructure jobs - well, where would we get the money for this? Are we going to use money allocated for Healthcare and allocate for infrstructure. No, I am sure it would be a raise in taxes..so one group could pay for others to have a job. If we privatized the funding for infrastructure growth, and outsourced to non govt workers I would be fine with this.

3) A bunch of non sense about fair share again. Those who cry never define fair share, just that they feel that others don't pay a fair share. What is a fair share?
Easy to ask for others to pay for ones bills when they expect someone else to foot the bill. Again, one should not ask others to pay a higher rate unless they are willing to do so also.

i agree with #1 and #2, those are valid criticisms.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:06 PM

27,631 posts, read 19,407,671 times
While the Republicans give lip service to deficit reduction – they have no real intention of addressing our nation’s massive debt.

Especially if it means raising taxes on their millionaire and billionaire campaign donors. In fact – the GOP outrage over debt is only a ploy to turn back the New Deal and sell off Social Security to Wall Street banksters and hand over the health care of our nation’s seniors to their buddies who run for-profit health insurance companies. And we all need to wake up to this big lie that Republicans are spreading.

See the connection between tax cuts for the super rich and spiraling budget deficits? | Thom Hartmann - News & info from the #1 progressive radio show

...and that people...is the bottom line!

Old 07-25-2011, 03:13 PM

31,765 posts, read 26,946,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
Not objective -

1) There are about 22 million government employees today. Let us assume it were possible to make 20 million of them a part of unemployment program. Do you think that will be smart and immediate help to an ailing economy?

2) Taxes will have to be raised. And do you think that the government has no room in its trillion dollar plus annual health care spending, and nearly a trillion on military expense, for considerable savings? How come private sector has the money and hasn't invested since 2007 on creating jobs?

3) Define fair share.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:13 PM

86,067 posts, read 78,705,306 times
He's not an economist. Whatever he says is his opinion.
He's a businessman and political activist and a member of the CFR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies