Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 01:31 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
You people defending Beck here are wrong. Beck was wrong to say the bizarre thing he said. It was an utterly stupid and callous thing for him to say.
Who has defended Beck? Specifically his "Hitler Youth" comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 01:48 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,222 times
Here's a post from the other thread. Maybe some of you will actually listen to people that are familiar with the topic and educate yourself. I have friends who were part of such things and in no way were they brainwashed, quite the opposite, there were much more knowledgeable about politics when I used to be when younger. Its not mandatory like Hitler Youth and kids are not prepared to fight in war. Big difference, Glenn Beck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
It's nothing of the sort, the socio-political reality in Norway is VERY different from that of the US.

Ever since my childhood I was encourage to question accepted truths and policies. At the age of 12 I was already politically active and often engaged in discussions with adults.

In Norway, one is generally encouraged to be have an active relationship to politics and engage in the political and societal progress of our Nation.

Youth parties are a way for teens who want to do more politically to have their voice heard, they are not indoctrinated in any way, they are given an outlet for their political beliefs. It is for instance not uncommon for the youth wings to oppose the political standpoints of their "mother" parties.

The political youth parties are the product of an open, liberal and active society and it's the complete opposite of indoctrination and "Hitler youth".

Old 07-26-2011, 02:02 AM

321 posts, read 362,856 times
Why did the psychopath kill natural born Citizens instead of Muslim immigrants whether legal or illegal?

Seems like a more direct path to his perverted satisfaction would have been to drop 80 Muslims instead of actual natural born citizens of Norway?

Old 07-26-2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabluesrq View Post
Why did the psychopath kill natural born Citizens instead of Muslim immigrants whether legal or illegal?

Seems like a more direct path to his perverted satisfaction would have been to drop 80 Muslims instead of actual natural born citizens of Norway?
Good point. Perhaps the "political youth parties" do more indoctrination than those from Scandinavia would care to admit (counter to the viewpoint posted by PAMKY above). Afterall, didn't this Norwegian take his political beliefs and use them against his own countrymen? Who in their right mind would deny that these beliefs were deeply engrained from youth, if in fact the country prides itself in fostering political dialogue at such a young and impressionable age? It seems like a two-way street to me, with advocates giving a green light only to those "policital youth parties" that share the same views as their own.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Good point. Perhaps the "political youth parties" do more indoctrination than those from Scandinavia would care to admit (counter to the viewpoint posted by PAMKY above). Afterall, didn't this Norwegian take his political beliefs and use them against his own countrymen? Who in their right mind would deny that these beliefs were deeply engrained from youth, if in fact the country prides itself in fostering political dialogue at such a young and impressionable age? It seems like a two-way street to me, with advocates giving a green light only to those "policital youth parties" that share the same views as their own.
You are first of all accussing the poster Viking of lying. He is Norwegian and knows more about his country than you do. Second, teenager don't have to participate in political youth groups, its not mandatory. No one forces them to be there. And if they want to participate in political discussion, they are free to chose the party of their interest including conservative norwegian parties.

As you have no clue about the culture in Norway, I find it extremely distasteful to utter such things. Have you ever participated in camps like that in Norway? No. Have you ever lived in Norway? No. Why do trust Glenn Beck more than someone that has posted many insightful things about the current situation and knows more about Norway when you will ever know? The reason he went after that camp, is because he doesn't like the social-democratic party. He is an ultra right-wing conservative, of course he is going to kill people that support a Norway he doesn't like.

Torbjørn Eriksen, a former press secretary to Jens Stoltenberg, Norway's prime minister, described the comment as "a new low" for the broadcaster, who has frequently been forced to apologise for offensive remarks.

"Young political activists have gathered at Utoya for over 60 years to learn about and be part of democracy, the very opposite of what the Hitler Youth was about," he told The Daily Telegraph. "Glenn Beck's comments are ignorant, incorrect and extremely hurtful."

Old 07-26-2011, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
(counter to the viewpoint posted by PAMKY above).
Its Viking's viewpoint and he Norwegian. But of course you know more about Norway than he does.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:06 AM

657 posts, read 697,355 times
what a desperate cry for attention. things must really be going bad for him

Old 07-26-2011, 04:43 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Folks hear Hitler and go in reflexive outrage mode. Goes to show how effective Hollywood has been in making Hitler some modern day boogeyman.

When I read about this Norwegian political group I too first thought about the Hitler Youth. Than some Norwegians on another thread politely explained that kids in Norway are politically active at young ages and all parties there have such groups.

Maybe Savior and the rest of the American Left can take some cues from their Norwegian counterparts and learn something about polite discussion instead of the character assissination and distortion of facts they are used to deploying.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:49 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
I would have thought the shooter with his ideas of racial purity more reflect the Hitler youth movement than does a camp of youngsters having a camping outing.
And while we are on the subject this teaparty group have some societal purity wishes of their own

Old 07-26-2011, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
You are first of all accussing the poster Viking of lying. He is Norwegian and knows more about his country than you do. Second, teenager don't have to participate in political youth groups, its not mandatory. No one forces them to be there. And if they want to participate in political discussion, they are free to chose the party of their interest including conservative norwegian parties.

As you have no clue about the culture in Norway, I find it extremely distasteful to utter such things. Have you ever participated in camps like that in Norway? No. Have you ever lived in Norway? No. Why do trust Glenn Beck more than someone that has posted many insightful things about the current situation and knows more about Norway when you will ever know? The reason he went after that camp, is because he doesn't like the social-democratic party. He is an ultra right-wing conservative, of course he is going to kill people that support a Norway he doesn't like.

Torbjørn Eriksen, a former press secretary to Jens Stoltenberg, Norway's prime minister, described the comment as "a new low" for the broadcaster, who has frequently been forced to apologise for offensive remarks.

"Young political activists have gathered at Utoya for over 60 years to learn about and be part of democracy, the very opposite of what the Hitler Youth was about," he told The Daily Telegraph. "Glenn Beck's comments are ignorant, incorrect and extremely hurtful."
I have not accused anyone of lying. For that very reason, the rest of your post is worthless.

The fact of the matter is that you, or no one else, can counter my assertion with anything intelligible. If you could, you would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies