Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 05:49 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times

Advertisements

Every time Obama talks about default, he says he will CHOOSE to hit the seniors hard. Why would he prefer to stop SS checks and reduce medicare benefits while at the same time sending billions to other countries????? and spending billions on useless foreign wars ????? and Billions on the useless war on drugs?

"We can't just close our deficit with spending cuts alone, because if we take that route it means that seniors would have to pay a lot more for Medicare, or students would have to pay a lot more for student loans," he said.

And then, of course, the blame game. But his tune has changed. He now blames congress rather than George Bush. I guess the "blame George" line just ran out of steam. Never mind that he has led Congress to "rack up" the largest deficit in the history of the world.

"The one thing we can't do -- cannot do -- is decide that we are not going to pay the bills the previous congresses have already racked up," he said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 06:05 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,446,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Every time Obama talks about default, he says he will CHOOSE to hit the seniors hard. Why would he prefer to stop SS checks and reduce medicare benefits while at the same time sending billions to other countries?????
Link, please, to any reputable source that has President Obama saying that he "chooses" to stop Social Security checks, or even that he "prefers" to stop Social Security checks.

You say that President Obama says these things "every time" he talks about the possibility of default, so providing a link to him actually using those words should be easy.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:24 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Link, please, to any reputable source that has President Obama saying that he "chooses" to stop Social Security checks, or even that he "prefers" to stop Social Security checks.

You say that President Obama says these things "every time" he talks about the possibility of default, so providing a link to him actually using those words should be easy.

Have you been in a cave for the last 3 months?
No wonder the clueless left sheepe are so misinformed.
Come out of your hole and see the light once in a while!

Old 07-23-2011, 06:37 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Every time Obama talks about default, he says he will CHOOSE to hit the seniors hard. Why would he prefer to stop SS checks and reduce medicare benefits while at the same time sending billions to other countries????? and spending billions on useless foreign wars ????? and Billions on the useless war on drugs?

"We can't just close our deficit with spending cuts alone, because if we take that route it means that seniors would have to pay a lot more for Medicare, or students would have to pay a lot more for student loans," he said.

Okay, let's think about this.

Let's say they pass a plan that does not increase revenue but requires spending cuts. Those spending cuts must come from everywhere including Social Security, Medicare, and Defense.

We all know that the GOP is against any significant or meaningful cuts in Defense, but they are gleeful over revamping and cutting expenditures on Social Security and Medicare. What type of cuts do you think are going to make it through Congress? Social Security and Medicare cuts. No one is going to bring anyone home and you should not rest that entire decision on a president.

I will agree with you that I truly dislike the rhetoric and political scare tactics with regard to senior citizens. But please don't be gullible enough to think that this is one man's doing. We all know how the GOP feels about seniors' benefits. Based on their thoughts, the only plan that Congress could probably ever agree on we be cutting those benefits. The president knows this and is laying it out.

Now, I agree, I would rather see a huge defense cut but we know where that would get stopped.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:43 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,774,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Okay, let's think about this.

Let's say they pass a plan that does not increase revenue but requires spending cuts. Those spending cuts must come from everywhere including Social Security, Medicare, and Defense.

We all know that the GOP is against any significant or meaningful cuts in Defense, but they are gleeful over revamping and cutting expenditures on Social Security and Medicare. What type of cuts do you think are going to make it through Congress? Social Security and Medicare cuts. No one is going to bring anyone home and you should not rest that entire decision on a president.

I will agree with you that I truly dislike the rhetoric and political scare tactics with regard to senior citizens. But please don't be gullible enough to think that this is one man's doing. We all know how the GOP feels about seniors' benefits. Based on their thoughts, the only plan that Congress could probably ever agree on we be cutting those benefits. The president knows this and is laying it out.

Now, I agree, I would rather see a huge defense cut but we know where that would get stopped.
Thank you for saying this. I hear so many people like the OP that don't really understand what's happening going around complaining sand saying untruths. Maybe because they just don't "get it" but it's great when I read from someone that does get it.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:51 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Thank you for saying this. I hear so many people like the OP that don't really understand what's happening going around complaining sand saying untruths. Maybe because they just don't "get it" but it's great when I read from someone that does get it.
Personally, I really, really try to look at things from all sides.

I do not like that Obama is on the news saying things to scare people. I realize that these are actually "truths" and not "tactics" but the intention of publicizing them is political. Now, whether he is forcing that out or the media is playing them up, I don't know--I try to stay off the television for my information.

At any rate, it does sadden me that people will only listen to a soundbite and fall for it hook, line, and sinker. Yes, the president is saying that benefits for seniors will probably have to take a cut if the debt ceiling isn't raised. I don't know why a person thinks the easy answer is just to stop the war one day. In a pretty, blue-skied world, it does sound easy, doesn't it?

But if anyone has been listening, they also know that the president himself wouldn't haven't the power to do that in one day so that senior's could be paid, nor is the GOP going to EVER go along with cuts to their beloved defense contractors in order to "save" Social Security. Really, and you want to blame JUST the president?

So when I see a post such as the OP, I know that they aren't being objective, looking at the whole picture and analyzing how it would really work. Just parroting some hate-filled agenda.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:55 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Have you been in a cave for the last 3 months?
No wonder the clueless left sheepe are so misinformed.
Come out of your hole and see the light once in a while!
Looks like someone can't find a link, as requested.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:03 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Personally, I really, really try to look at things from all sides.

I do not like that Obama is on the news saying things to scare people. I realize that these are actually "truths" and not "tactics" but the intention of publicizing them is political. Now, whether he is forcing that out or the media is playing them up, I don't know--I try to stay off the television for my information.

At any rate, it does sadden me that people will only listen to a soundbite and fall for it hook, line, and sinker. Yes, the president is saying that benefits for seniors will probably have to take a cut if the debt ceiling isn't raised. I don't know why a person thinks the easy answer is just to stop the war one day. In a pretty, blue-skied world, it does sound easy, doesn't it?

But if anyone has been listening, they also know that the president himself wouldn't haven't the power to do that in one day so that senior's could be paid, nor is the GOP going to EVER go along with cuts to their beloved defense contractors in order to "save" Social Security. Really, and you want to blame JUST the president?

So when I see a post such as the OP, I know that they aren't being objective, looking at the whole picture and analyzing how it would really work. Just parroting some hate-filled agenda.
The simple truth is that there was *never* a debt problem until Ronald Reagan took over. That Republicans can claim to be the solution to the debt problem that they created is one of the greatest political ironies, and the fact that they seem to be able to convince an alarming number of people is indicative of how much people understand about their own government...which goes back to what I've said before: the American people are the problem. We can get mad at Republicans, we can get mad at Democrats, and even at independents too. We can rail against Fox News and MSNBC, and the criticisms are richly deserved, but until we turn off Dancing With the Stars, American Idol, Dr. Phil, and other reality crap tv, and until we start getting more curious about the political system that we both constitutionally and theoretically 'own', then we're going to have major, major, major problems ahead. We're a nation of idiots, and we're getting dumb and dumber.

And as soon as someone reads this, they'll probably be thinking "Well okay, professor, tell us what you are actually doing to solve the problem. Tut! Tut!" The problem is I can't do anything if my actions keep getting nullified by my idiotic neighbors who out-vote me.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Looks like someone can't find a link, as requested.

Don't have to, it proves just how clueless the Progressives are, with their selective senses of hearing and seeing.
It has been plastered all over the lamestream news for weeks.
Those that are informed know exactly what is going on.
This isn't the place where you get a free education.
Post a link to show I'm wrong.

He said it 3 times yesterday alone, as his fear of his bluff getting called gets nearer and nearer.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
The simple truth is that there was *never* a debt problem until Ronald Reagan took over. That Republicans can claim to be the solution to the debt problem that they created is one of the greatest political ironies, and the fact that they seem to be able to convince an alarming number of people is indicative of how much people understand about their own government...which goes back to what I've said before: the American people are the problem. We can get mad at Republicans, we can get mad at Democrats, and even at independents too. We can rail against Fox News and MSNBC, and the criticisms are richly deserved, but until we turn off Dancing With the Stars, American Idol, Dr. Phil, and other reality crap tv, and until we start getting more curious about the political system that we both constitutionally and theoretically 'own', then we're going to have major, major, major problems ahead. We're a nation of idiots, and we're getting dumb and dumber.

And as soon as someone reads this, they'll probably be thinking "Well okay, professor, tell us what you are actually doing to solve the problem. Tut! Tut!" The problem is I can't do anything if my actions keep getting nullified by my idiotic neighbors who out-vote me.

Our debt wasn't even close to our GDP then, either.

What has changed from then and now?
The last two years have been an acceleration to spend more than we make, as the central government goes where they were never meant to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies