Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 08:33 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,904,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusilier0770 View Post
You are 150 years too late to that debate and it was resolved with alot of bloodshed. I have no patience for neo-Confederate horse crap. Stop spewing traitorous venom. This goes for the rest of the libertarian/neocon sociopaths that troll this site. If you want to hate Obama then by all mean go for it, but what disconcerts me is the open desire of some of these posts to at the least undermine if not overthrow this government. That is what disgusts me.
That is of course what they are openly advocating. They should have a bumper sticker...- WE LOVE AMERICA SO LETS DESTROY IT-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 08:39 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,158,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Your naive notion that there was no need for these programs in the past is erroneous. Life expectancy HAS increased; many links have been posted to this in the past, look them up. Poverty among seniors HAS decreased, ditto. There used to be "county poor farms" which also took care of some aged, people used to put their kids on "orphan trains" and send them off to the midwest to be adopted, and often exploited. Families were broken up, different kids sent off to live with different relatives.
Please post the statistics that show this decrease is linked to medicare, and not merely technological/humanitarian advances in general.

Did you know that habitat for humanity is now one of the top 10 home builders in the united states? How is that possible if private charity does not work? Great advances in social welfare have been made which are completely separate from government interaction. Please do not assume just because things are better now that it was because of government social programs.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:02 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,548,039 times
I trust private charity about as much as I trust the private business sector. That is somewhere between very little and not at all.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:04 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,158,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I trust private charity about as much as I trust the private business sector. That is somewhere between very little and not at all.
Why don't you trust private charities?

Old 07-26-2011, 09:08 AM

5,003 posts, read 12,317,165 times
Sure do that. Then all the poor Southerners who scream "BIG GUBMENT BIG GUBMENT" will be even poorer and most likely out on the street due to healthcare costs.

Remember the saying, "don't bite the hand that feeds you."

Of course Republicans and Christians are all about that so go ahead, keep doing that! The more responsible and intelligent North will secede eventually just to escape the stupidity.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:09 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,182,044 times
There are a lot of non-profit corporations out there that are setup mostly to benefit the officers of that non-profit company. That's probably why they're not trusted.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:13 AM

58,493 posts, read 26,802,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The systems don't work because of meddling people who see the pot of gold and want it for their own (ie politicians)... I agree that they should be voluntary but at the same time NOBODY has tried to devise a system that works... and that is NO accident... Responsibility is nothing when options are NOT available... you can walk through a wall cause you need a door... If you take SS (which represents a door) you should replace it with another door, pretty logical right? What that other door is, well, again NOBODY wants to try to define it...
In G. W. Bush's first term he tried to address the problem and the dems wouldn't even sit down to discuss it. They said "everything is fine. we don't need to do anything"

I believe Brazil at that time or shortly thereafter was looking at the same thing. They changed their system, phased it in, and now each retiree has a much larger amount of retirement money then SS would ever provide.

It can be done.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:19 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,751,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
In G. W. Bush's first term he tried to address the problem and the dems wouldn't even sit down to discuss it. They said "everything is fine. we don't need to do anything"

I believe Brazil at that time or shortly thereafter was looking at the same thing. They changed their system, phased it in, and now each retiree has a much larger amount of retirement money then SS would ever provide.

It can be done.
He "addressed" it but didn't give much energy to it... he was really apathetic to it otherwise he would do more than "address" it... To his benefit, he was short-sighted and thought everything would turn out okay in the end... it didn't... hindsight is 20/20... foresight is a different matter entirely... I am sure if you talked to him back then you will find that he was concerned but not overly concerned as he should of been... but then I also have the advantage of hindsight... I didn't know this was going on back then so I would of been just as stupid about the whole ordeal... but Bush was in the loop and was apathetic to it... apathy is no excuse...

Old 07-26-2011, 09:24 AM

58,493 posts, read 26,802,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
That other door is called individual choice. What made this country great was the fact that each individual had complete control over themselves and were not beholden to any lord, king, or ruler.

Give people their money back and tell them they are their own leaders, their own rulers, their own lords and that what they do with what they have is their choice be it good or bad.

If the government wants to help, then be an adviser, a promoter, an instructor for those who would pay heed. Past that, there is nothing the government can do aside from stripping people of their individual choice.
Some people act like they never heard of an IRA. Instead of giving almost 15% to Uncle Sam, invest it in their IRA.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:27 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,601,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Start now with new workers entering the workforce.

Pay everyone under 50 the amount that they paid in thus far, with interest.

In a few generations, we will be a more productive, responsible society.

Government will shrink in size and power.

We will become an even greater society.
The money was spent keepin Granny in the Nursing Home, The minute you cut Medicaid the Nursing Home industry will collapse and those old people who don't have families to take care of them will have to be sent to the Knacker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies