Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 04:48 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,781,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Poor parenting is taken place in alot of homes, not just blacks what really hurts blacks is the bad atmosphere and that's where the trouble starts, for alot of whites poor parenting goes unrecognized since the areas are much safer. As a example in Miami 4 kids where shots at a park in liberty city, these kids where just playing at the park and got hit, the shooters were a group of men armed with ak47s and black masks. It could have been white folks who just wanna kill off all black people or some gangsters doing Satan's work.

Of course ... the difference being that when parents fail outside the ghetto, there will often be schools or something else for the child.

Moreover, there is a refusal of participation in what I would call the "social contract" in black ghetto culture. I have seldom seen white trash-types discourage children from education. Whereas, in Harlem, in any case, this happens every day - from parents, friends, etc. Just the other day, someone on another thread referred to me as a "high horse negro," and added, "Let me guess, you are Caribbean, right ?" [I am not.]

Similarly, again in Harlem, people litter to make things unpleasant for those they consider "gentrifiers." This, one strategy among many, backfires, working only to assist in the identification of their neighborhood as blighted, and thus a target for intense "revitalization" - gentrification. I can already see the process in place whereby those who follow the rules will be allowed to stay, and those who refuse to follow the rules will be removed.
If you're black then you should know how easy it is to make a buck off us. Literally money goes from our pocket to every of race of people except our own, it's no exception with schools. Second, being blacks comes with alot of negative stereotypes and I would imagine schools in mostly black areas the teachers don't give a damn just like the students and the parents don't.

I grew in up in new york ibwent to Tilden high in Brooklyn back when it was a very dangerous place to live in the early 90 I know what it's likely I just don't throw on a suit and start crapping on my own like alot of others do, I'd rather understand the pattern of failure.

In my eyes black people have to push with all they have to break down that steel wall in front of them.

Whites can open the door once they find the door handle, that's it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 04:57 AM

Quote:
You are keeping great numbers of people down with the victimhood thing, and with the utter denial that becomes rage and violence.

First, dress appropriately, gain an education, embrace a normal work ethic. Apply thyself. I would not hire, nor would I encourage my friends in business to hire, most of the people I see hanging out on the streets every day, right next to a huge pile of yesterday's litter.

I should add, refrain from committing crimes or using drugs. There was a program here to hire locals and the program fell short due to the fact that many failed a simple drug test, and others were convicted felons.

Then, if "black" people still do not get ahead ... ? There is the actual racism. We all have the same choices, and the middle class, which is currently BROKE, has grown tired of supporting those who make the wrong choices, again and again.
There's racism now and if you'd open your eyes you'd see black women in college at a rate of 2 to 1 over black men but they're not getting promoted to positions of power and that's where the problem lies, blacks need to hire blacks and whites aren't nor should they be required to hire blacks over who they feel is appropriate for the job. You went Herman Cain on me or that other one called Allen West.

I live in Miami and Hispanics have freaking taken over, I work for a big company and most top dogs are Hispanic . Many people who make money here don't have degrees, it's who you know my friend all since blacks are usually consumers and not owners you have a problem.

With the media focusing on blacks 24/7 we will always be looked upon as failures, if you don't know some people get very rich off poor people and criminals who end up in jail.

America needs a good amount of poor people which is why illegals still haven't left America yet.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:59 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Your mistake: "Blacks."
"Blacks" do not spend wealth on sneakers, jewelry, etc., as opposed to making smarter investment choices. But ghetto people DO. In Harlem, with its proliferation of social service housing, there are a few white ghetto people. Not a lot, a few. They act exactly the same. In other areas there are many more white ghetto people, probably called white trash. Habits are identical, having to do with an inability to postpone gratification.

Everyone should try to state things more carefully, it is actually important.

If you substitute "ghetto," I agree, see that every day in Harlem, especially as regards spending for children. Lots of show, to the point of destructiveness, nothing at all of substance.
Do you agree that rap music perpetuates the materialism that plagues the black community, particularly the portion of the black community who can least afford the "bling?"

Old 07-28-2011, 05:02 AM

I doubt anyone here will believe it but it's a good watch a record companies do use this tactic.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop...1J3GU88M&gl=US

Old 07-28-2011, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Do you agree that rap music perpetuates the materialism that plagues the black community, particularly the portion of the black community who can least afford the "bling?"
Most of us are poor we are drawn to rappers who live the life sorta speak, it's common sense.

White culture tends not to focus as much on money and more of friends and social activities.

That show friends is a perfect example.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:13 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Basically,black people are materialistic and concerned about looking/feeling rich?

Old 07-28-2011, 06:18 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Basically,black people are materialistic and concerned about looking/feeling rich?
Let's get away from the sweeping generalization shall we?

Old 07-28-2011, 06:20 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Let's get away from the sweeping generalization shall we?
You obviously did not read the post above mine.

Quote:
stick2dascript
Most of us are poor we are drawn to rappers who live the life sorta speak, it's common sense.

White culture tends not to focus as much on money and more of friends and social activities.

That show friends is a perfect example.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:36 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
If you're black then you should know how easy it is to make a buck off us. Literally money goes from our pocket to every of race of people except our own, it's no exception with schools. Second, being blacks comes with alot of negative stereotypes and I would imagine schools in mostly black areas the teachers don't give a damn just like the students and the parents don't.

I grew in up in new york ibwent to Tilden high in Brooklyn back when it was a very dangerous place to live in the early 90 I know what it's likely I just don't throw on a suit and start crapping on my own like alot of others do, I'd rather understand the pattern of failure.

In my eyes black people have to push with all they have to break down that steel wall in front of them.

Whites can open the door once they find the door handle, that's it.

The passive voice constructions should really stop, or people should at least gain an awareness of using these. Language actually does matter.

For example: Certain classes of black people allow everyone to make a buck off them.

This is due to the fact that personal growth is difficult, and it is easier to live in the moment. Especially when someone else is paying. There are no victims there; each side is complicit.

That said, yes, I observe every day that low-income people in Harlem arrange their entire lives around instant gratification. This is a CHOICE they make, arriving at the junk jewelers on 125th Street to buy yet another necklace, three toddlers in tow - I observed this yesterday while I was getting a new battery for my watch. That way, they have something to wear as they pass the afternoon and evening on their stoops, doing nothing at all. Keeping their children, even small ones, out until all hours of the night. Those children should have been bathed, read to, and calmly put to bed hours before. I made different choices, as did my spouse, my cousins, my mother and father ... and so on. I know many people whose families made poor choices, yet they made different ones and therefore succeeded.

In addition, I would substitute "ghetto," or at least "low income / welfare class" for each instance of "black" in your post. Complexifying the "pattern of failure" will not find a solution. Most of the things are very straightforward, beginning with, 14 year-old girls should not bear children, and in particular, the celebration of this must end.

Many low-income black men cannot open the door because they need to hold up their pants with one hand. Or so I observe around here, every day.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:45 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Sure, and then people make a CHOICE to embrace that lifestyle.
It is all about CHOICES. And, mature people understand that choices have consequences.

In my opinion, the "keepin' it real" baloney behind everything is much more harmful. Nothing real about ghetto culture. It is just that, culture, a created thing and maintained by participation, and one may choose to embrace it or not. Most people do not realize that the anti-culture, pro-"instinct" thing has a long, long history. Watching people buy into that is the true irony, perhaps even tragedy.

It is not rocket science, people. The things that lead to education and then a productive life could stand on a list; they could be absolutely quantified. The more of those a given person does, the more successful that person will be. Period. And sure, we can engage in 46,000 hour discussions about racism, talk about what victims "black" people are, but why not just encourage people to embrace different behaviors THEMSELVES ? which is the real problem. Again, they do have choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies