Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 08:33 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Rick Perry is doing what all politicians do - pandering to a special interest group.
How is it any different than politicians that celebrate the equinox or solstice (I think they renamed it Earth Day or something like that) to pander to the pagans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 11:39 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Ferd, I'm neither a Democrat nor a Republican (and at this point, the childish way they're behaving about the debt issue, I'm saying, once again, a pox on both their parties). My vote is cast based not on party line, but on the individual issue or person, and my opinion, obviously, is the same.

Yet I still think that Rick Perry is an embarrassment to the State of Texas and is about nothing more than Rick Perry, all the time.

Texas did fine before Rick Perry, and we'll do fine after. He's not responsible for what Texas is, nor is he reflective of it (other than the fact that we let people be Governor when they whine and whine and won't go away and then we let them be in a position that we know has no real power here).

As a preacher's kid, I still say that it's more than blatantly clear that he's using religion as a political tool to try to manipulate those who can't or won't see they're being manipulated into voting for him for President, and that should be offensive to any real Christian or, for that matter, any person of religion persuasion of any kind - it's disrespectful of religion and, indeed, of the very religion that he's purporting to belong to. This thread is more than evidence that it's divisive.

well, I am a very conservative person, I voted for Carol Rylander as a third party candidate against the Empty Suit Rick Perry. That is what I thought of him in that first election.

I was mad at him about the Texas Trans Corridor, the vaccination debacle and some early false starts in education.

However there are some things he has done that I like in the area of business environment etc. None the less, liberal attacks based on the notion that any repbulican is doing things that are manipulative and devisive ring hollow to me.

You say you are neither and vote for the person. Ive heard that before. I dont know who you voted for in that 5 elections but that might tell the tell.

bottom line, it may very well be political what Perry is doing. news flash, he is a POLITICIAN.

But another interpretation is that Perry is signaling his direction and what is important to him. if that turns you off then fine.

That is still no excuse to lambast this guy for what he is doing when we have seen divisiveness at the higest level it has been since before the civil war with no end in sight and no indication from the sitting president or the democrats in congress that they want anything different.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
One of the most dangerous thinkers that has a following these days is this David Barton. Over the top reactionary.

Some of the links on that site are also just scary too:

"

[SIZE=4]What the Bible says about women in government leadership positions[/SIZE] God appears to make some pretty clear statements in the Bible about whether or not women should serve in elected leadership roles in the church or in civil government. See this link for what he says about women leaders in the church. We believe that a strong Biblical case can also be made that God does not want women serving in government positions either. "

As a fundamentalist Christian and minister who has spent more time studying the bible than any other subject for the last 20 years, I find your link and your diatribe about women in government to be silly, nonsensical and blatanly anti-bible.

and no, I will not elaborate. You are just wrong.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:44 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
well, I am a very conservative person, I voted for Carol Rylander as a third party candidate against the Empty Suit Rick Perry. That is what I thought of him in that first election.

I was mad at him about the Texas Trans Corridor, the vaccination debacle and some early false starts in education.

However there are some things he has done that I like in the area of business environment etc. None the less, liberal attacks based on the notion that any repbulican is doing things that are manipulative and devisive ring hollow to me.

You say you are neither and vote for the person. Ive heard that before. I dont know who you voted for in that 5 elections but that might tell the tell.

bottom line, it may very well be political what Perry is doing. news flash, he is a POLITICIAN.

But another interpretation is that Perry is signaling his direction and what is important to him. if that turns you off then fine.

That is still no excuse to lambast this guy for what he is doing when we have seen divisiveness at the higest level it has been since before the civil war with no end in sight and no indication from the sitting president or the democrats in congress that they want anything different.
So your idea of ending divisiveness is to blame everything on the democrats. LOL, okay, sure. You are not a political hack at all. I notice you are not including republicans in the highlighted statement above. That certainly "tells the tell" about you, to borrow the phrase you used against texashorselady about her voting record.

I also would like to see proof of the statement that divisiveness is at the highest level since the civil war. Sounds to me like you are just pulling a "truthy" fact out of mid air.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:46 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I know that some people are all in favor of what Perry is doing--so this link might run contra to their mindsets

Texas Gov. Rick Perry's misguided day of prayer - latimes.com

but I don't respect any politician who implies a special relationship with God or who uses that implied connection to market himself to the public

Perry is doing this with direct intention to gain notice of conservative voters across the US and generate sponsorship for a presidential campaign--

this article points out this prayer day is more about exclusion than inclusion and thwarts the intention of the Constitution to separate religion and government...
but as I said I know many people won't agreee with its pov--any more than I agree with Perry--
Just a reminder...."Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

I did not realize that Perry was passing a congressional law making it mandatory for people to attend.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:55 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I know that some people are all in favor of what Perry is doing--so this link might run contra to their mindsets

Texas Gov. Rick Perry's misguided day of prayer - latimes.com

but I don't respect any politician who implies a special relationship with God or who uses that implied connection to market himself to the public

Perry is doing this with direct intention to gain notice of conservative voters across the US and generate sponsorship for a presidential campaign--

this article points out this prayer day is more about exclusion than inclusion and thwarts the intention of the Constitution to separate religion and government...
but as I said I know many people won't agreee with its pov--any more than I agree with Perry--
If this bothers you, then you must absolutely despise many of the founding forefathers as they made references to prayer and God quite often in their public statements and speeches.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:55 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Just a reminder...."Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

I did not realize that Perry was passing a congressional law making it mandatory for people to attend.

Constitutional restrictions on government apply to all branches, at all levels. Perry issued an official government proclamation endorsing Christianity.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
If this bothers you, then you must absolutely despise many of the founding forefathers as they made references to prayer and God quite often in their public statements and speeches.
Did they proclaim Christian days of prayer?

Old 07-28-2011, 01:58 PM

BTW, you Perrybots need to read the Bible. I posted this before but you 700 Club members ignored it.

“Whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, because they love to pray while standing in synagogues and on street corners so that people can see them. Truly I say to you, they have their reward. But whenever you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you” - Jesus

Old 07-28-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Did they proclaim Christian days of prayer?

...they even paid a guy to open congressional meetings with pray.

oh the humanity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies