Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:47 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You are free to write them as many checks as you wish.

Liberals act on emotion. Which is one of the main problems we have today.

Sorry, this is a business. When you are not making money, or breaking even, you make cuts.

Don't ask me for more money because you "feel" bad.
Liberal

Liberal

Liberal

Liberal

Liberal

Liberal

Step away from the Limbaugh for a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 07:50 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
The Post office is obsolete and unnecessary you can pay all your bills online, you can get you pay checks through direct deposit at your bank, you can use Fed Ex and Ups to ship packages. The only thing I get from the US post office is junk mail everyday!
Yes let's get rid of the only price counterbalance in the shipping market because you don't have any friends.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:08 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
The Post office is obsolete and unnecessary you can pay all your bills online, you can get you pay checks through direct deposit at your bank, you can use Fed Ex and Ups to ship packages. The only thing I get from the US post office is junk mail everyday!

I work in a field in which I am constantly buying books... and sometimes selling them as well. The USPS has something called media mail, which was established by Benjamin Franklin when he was our post master general. It allows people to transfer information (books, manuscripts, official reports, etc) at a ridiculously low price. That's something that Fed Ex and UPS have never had and never will.

Also among the Post Offices that are on the chopping block is the B Free Franklin Post Office. It is housed in a building that Franklin himself once owned and is the only colonial themed post office in america, includes a museum and is a tourist attraction.

Will Fed Ex or UPS ever open up a museum to help educate our children? NO. Why not? Because they don't give a flying f**k about our children. All they care about is making money.

Also consider this. Do you know which shipping carrier in this country has the lowest postal rates? The USPS! What do you think would happen if suddenly the USPS stopped shipping packages??? Fed Ex and UPS no longer having to stay reasonably competitive with the USPS will jack their rates up to astronomical heights.

People just don't understand. The USPS is not a business. IT IS A SERVICE. IT SERVES US. All you people who are say "if it's not making money than good riddance" are fools. Have fun spending 25 bucks to ship a simple 1lb package.

When in the world has privatization of a previously government owned business ever helped the common man??? I sure as s**t can't think of an example.

But sure let your simple mind be swayed about how bad the post office is by the people who are going cash in on your sorry ass the minute it's closed.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Why anyone would consider a Postal Service to be a profit making business is beyond me. IT IS A GOVERNMENT SERVICE SUPPORTING COMMERCE AND COMMUNICATION!

Old 07-27-2011, 08:33 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
so how am i going to get my mail then?
probably from the mailman who works for the USPS, like most people.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:40 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
I have never gone in my post office and NOT waited on a line. It doesn't matter what time of day it is or what time of year it is. It's not on their hit list, either.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:54 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I saw Setauket on the list, it's a bit sad, but there's so much money up there someone should be able to pitch in and preserve the spot as a museum or something.
Thank you for understanding. The property might be part of the adjacent park; if so it will be cared for. I am going to ask the local trust what the deal is there.

It's just a question of if or what it will be repurposed for, should the PO close.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:02 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I always worry about our little post office closing.

I was glad to see it was not on the list!!!!
Mine is.

If it is closed we will have to go 10 miles on a gravel road to a Post Office. I hope that mail delivery to my area will not be discontinued.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:51 AM

880 posts, read 1,800,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Yes let's get rid of the only price counterbalance in the shipping market because you don't have any friends.
So we should lose billions $ so people can save $5 on shipping a box once a year?

Old 07-27-2011, 10:56 AM

880 posts, read 1,800,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
I work in a field in which I am constantly buying books... and sometimes selling them as well. The USPS has something called media mail, which was established by Benjamin Franklin when he was our post master general. It allows people to transfer information (books, manuscripts, official reports, etc) at a ridiculously low price. That's something that Fed Ex and UPS have never had and never will.

Also among the Post Offices that are on the chopping block is the B Free Franklin Post Office. It is housed in a building that Franklin himself once owned and is the only colonial themed post office in america, includes a museum and is a tourist attraction.

Will Fed Ex or UPS ever open up a museum to help educate our children? NO. Why not? Because they don't give a flying f**k about our children. All they care about is making money.

Also consider this. Do you know which shipping carrier in this country has the lowest postal rates? The USPS! What do you think would happen if suddenly the USPS stopped shipping packages??? Fed Ex and UPS no longer having to stay reasonably competitive with the USPS will jack their rates up to astronomical heights.

People just don't understand. The USPS is not a business. IT IS A SERVICE. IT SERVES US. All you people who are say "if it's not making money than good riddance" are fools. Have fun spending 25 bucks to ship a simple 1lb package.

When in the world has privatization of a previously government owned business ever helped the common man??? I sure as s**t can't think of an example.

But sure let your simple mind be swayed about how bad the post office is by the people who are going cash in on your sorry ass the minute it's closed.
Most people don't use the post office that often. And the problem isn't that the USPS isn't making money it's that it's loosing serious money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies