Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 02:13 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
The South shows its true colors. Can we get rid of these backwards, Middle East mentality states already?

Courthouse News Service

A high school southeast of Little Rock would not let a black student be valedictorian though she had the highest grade-point average, and wouldn't let her mom speak to the school board about it until graduation had passed, the graduate claims in Federal Court.
That's one side of the story. What does the other side have to say? If what she says is true, the principal should be fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 02:17 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Okay, so after all that, it turns out she didn't lose her exclusive to the valedictorian position because she is black, but because she didn't have as many credits as the other valedictorian, and number of credits are as important as GPA. Furthermore, it has been revealed that the principal and the superintendant are both black, making it highly unlikely that the girl was a victim of racism. It also does not sound like her out of wedlock pregnancy had anything to do with the issue at all. While I think it's great that someone who made a mistake recovered in such a stellar way, I do wish that we would go back to a time when both male and female students were denied certain privileges for violating character standards. They can be quietly complimented on a job well done, but should not enjoy celebrity status.
I think the difference was something like .02 of a point. I don't think they offer classes of .02 credits do they? With her stellar school grades (one B in her high school career) and AP classes, and being a single mother.

.02 of a point is hardly enough to deny the girl valedictorian.

So you don't think there aren't black apologists who toe the line and scrape and bow to keep their jobs and image unblemished in the eyes of their white bosses? The fact that the principal and super are both black makes it even worse. Especially when the mother filed paperwork to be heard before the school board and was rejected because she filed the wrong form.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:17 AM

954 posts, read 1,280,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
Why do people do ANYTHING to NOT see this for what it is when it's staring them in the face. are people so unable to lack empathy for anyone with a different trait from then and NOT able to put themselves in their shoes that not matter what they can't feel injustice done to others?
I don't see it for what it is because I do my best not to make assumptions. I never said it wasn't racism, I simply said that we don't have enough information to draw a conclusion.

As more facts come out, it would seem you are the one doing ANYTHING to see the story for what it ISN'T.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:13 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
I wonder if missing her entire junior year might be the issue? If she was enrolled in an online programme or home schooled for that year, perhaps the school did not feel the academic rigour of that year was up to the same standard as if she had attended actual school, as did the other valedictorian.

ETA, I see now that she did not have as many credits. That seems reasonable. The racism argument is patently ridiculous, as I imagined it would be when I read the very first post.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:46 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
Racism is watered down from OVER USE!

Old 07-27-2011, 05:55 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
I think that now that the "real story" has been related, this thread should be closed... unless of course all the posters jumping on the "conservatives are all racists" "everyone in the south is a racist" folks would like to post their apologies.

Yea - I didn't think so.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:09 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I think that now that the "real story" has been related, this thread should be closed... unless of course all the posters jumping on the "conservatives are all racists" "everyone in the south is a racist" folks would like to post their apologies.

Yea - I didn't think so.
Pray tell, what is the "real" story??

Old 07-27-2011, 06:24 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
The South shows its true colors. Can we get rid of these backwards, Middle East mentality states already?

Courthouse News Service

A high school southeast of Little Rock would not let a black student be valedictorian though she had the highest grade-point average, and wouldn't let her mom speak to the school board about it until graduation had passed, the graduate claims in Federal Court.
I read somewhere else that it was a black man that wouldn't allow her to be the valedictorian.......

Old 07-27-2011, 06:30 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
It's not like this is the only incident. These types of issues pop up quite often in places like Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, etc.

This is just another example of the screwed up conservative mentality down there.
Before you start pointing fingers at "down there" you had better look at what is going on "up there"!!!!!!!

Old 07-27-2011, 06:34 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:

Courthouse News Service

Big deal. I was a valedictorian of my high school and was not recognized as such or allowed to speak because I was a white trash hood. I really did not care much at the time and it has not affected me one bit.

I am sure that the black student, given the fact she is obviously motivated and intelligent, will be successful regardless. The experience will make her stronger and a better person in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies