Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 02:23 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
so you're saying that someone born in the 70's could have achieved as much as the middle class born before that? Thats rubbish. The middle has been aggressively destroyed by the republican party. What I can't understand is how people keep voting to become wage slaves and peasants. Name one company or rich person today that does anything with out being forced to that helps the people besides giving them a $10 per hour no benefits job. The middle and poor will be forced to fight back as soon as they realize what has been done to them. Unfortunately thanks to the south another generation will have to suffer greatly under greedy class warfare republicans who believe they must create a very large underclass of cheap vulnerable labor so the massahs and their b%^^&'s can have it all.

Whatever, go play the victim card elsewhere. Cry me a river. People who make themselves valuable to an organization will do quite well, those that want to punch a clock, not continue their education, unwilling to update skills will be in the scenario they are in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 02:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
He ALWAYS mentions households making $250k per year in the same breath as the word "Billionaire". Billionaire invokes thoughts of Ferraris, private jets, and shopping sprees at Chanel.....not two working middle managers. The lives of the $250k hh's more closely resemble "middle class" than Billionaire. Their pocketbooks do, too.

In December, I agreed to extend the tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans because it was the only way I could prevent a tax hike on middle-class Americans. But we cannot afford $1 trillion worth of tax cuts for every millionaire and billionaire in our society. We can't afford it. And I refuse to renew them again.
Barack Obama

If we choose to keep those tax breaks (refering to the Bush cuts for those making $250k & up) for millionaires and billionaires, if we choose to keep a tax break for corporate jet owners, if we choose to keep tax breaks for oil and gas companies that are making hundreds of billions of dollars, then that means we've got to cut some kids off from getting a college scholarship.
Barack Obama

I believe the link says "millionaire" as well as "billionaire". Good verbal gymnastics for you, perfect 10!

Old 07-27-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
Whatever, go play the victim card elsewhere. Cry me a river. People who make themselves valuable to an organization will do quite well, those that want to punch a clock, not continue their education, unwilling to update skills will be in the scenario they are in.
Right. You just think those qualities guarantee you'll never get laid off; that way, you can think it will never happen to you! But it probably will, anyway. I can almost guarantee that!

Old 07-27-2011, 02:54 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I believe the link says "millionaire" as well as "billionaire". Good verbal gymnastics for you, perfect 10!
I don't get the point you are making here, all that the links show is that Obama associated people who make $250K/year with people who make millions and billions. He thinks they all are the same. That's why he talks about them together all the time... everyone can see this-- why can't you?

Old 07-27-2011, 02:57 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I don't get the point you are making here, all that the links show is that Obama associated people who make $250K/year with people who make millions and billions. He thinks they all are the same. That's why he talks about them together all the time... everyone can see this-- why can't you?
Wow! He does not think they're the same. But he does feel they all can afford to pay a small percent more in taxes. You're really reaching here

Old 07-27-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Someone who makes $250K will make $1mil in 4 years!

Old 07-27-2011, 03:05 PM

143 posts, read 377,992 times
I grew up poor but now live fairly comfortable. I can see both sides of the coin. I still America is a land of opportunity and I see that in the achievement of my parents (immigrants to this country) and their friends who also came with little money but managed to achieve financial success.

My parents manage to achieve some economic success in my teen years and i was able to reap some of that benefit. However, I don't believe that those who make less than me are less hard working. They may simply have the bad luck of having a poorly paid job, or in a profession that doesn't pay well.

Both my SO and are working hard on our careers and we hope to make more than the $250k in the future. Where we live, a person living on that much lives quite comfortably. My SO mom makes about that much and since she does not live near the coasts, she does have money to buy nicer things. I don't begrudge her for that since she obviously have a skillset which is highly coveted. But I also feel people who make a more modest salary are not lazy bums doing nothing. Not everyone can be doctors, lawyers and investment bankers. Plenty of people make under $70k who work hard, pay their taxes and try to make a decent life for themselves. Either through luck or hard work, some people just happen to be so good at what they do that they are paid far more for what they do than others.

I don't this class war/envy is of any use at all. What purpose does it serve? We all want to have more money in our pocket, some just happen to have a bit more than others. If you don't like the money you're making, work hard to find ways to make more. This country still offers opportunities for those who are willing to get their hands dirty. If you look down on those who make less than you, then you need to start thinking where your real values lie.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:10 PM

84 posts, read 54,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post

CLEARLY if this was to happen the whole tax system would have to be reconstructed.

Either we have the same amount deducted from people's income, or we all pay a higher but across-the-boad national sales tax.

Fair is fair.

No one should not pay tax because they are rich, but they shouldn't give more.
No one should not pay tax because they are poor, but want to gain the benefits of others paying taxes.

We all benefit from taxes. Let's all pay them equally.
I love these arguments....

I speed down the road and get caught. The speeding fine is $200 and I make $20,000 a year. I may be tempted not to speed next time since the government believes that is the way to stop me from speeding.

I speed down the road and get caught. The speeding fine is $200 and I make $20,000,000 a year. I may be tempted not to speed next time since the government believes that is the way to stop me from speeding.

yeah right.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:12 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Wow! He does not think they're the same. But he does feel they all can afford to pay a small percent more in taxes. You're really reaching here
I'm a $250k-aire and I can tell you I have a helluva lot more in common with the $60k families who don't have ANY tax liability than the "average CEO making $12M" he loves to talk about in his pro-raising taxes for $250k & up speeches.

I'm sure Obama himself (as a human being) is aware that there is a financial difference between making $250k and $12M a year, but EVERY SINGLE ONE of his tax speeches been carefully calculated to link the terms "$250k & up" + "rich" + "elite" + "millionaire" + "billionaire"
+ "loopholes" + "jets". The average American who makes an average salary only has to listen to a radio soundbite on his morning commute to figure out that Obama wants him to think that anyone making $250K is a "loaded" "elite" "richy-rich" who won't miss the money when taxes are raised.

My point- and I'm sure many others posting on this thread- is that in the year 2011, we need a new "baseline" income to be considered "RICH." It sure ain't $250k unless you live in Timbuktu, USA. I don't know whether it's $500k or $750k or $1M, but any of those sound more "elite"/ "rich" than $250k.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:15 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Someone who makes $250K will make $1mil in 4 years!
No, they'll net $1M after 6 years. Grossing $1M is far different than having $1M in one's pocketbook after paying for federal iincome tax, state income tax, FICA, SSI, and the ka-jillion other taxes in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies