Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:55 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,530,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
At the risk of looking like a vested party... gold is nothing more than a hedge on inflation.

When you can buy a home for 60,000 that is renting for 750-900 it is a no brainer.

When you can buy a home for 50 cents on the dollar is that too hard to figure out?

I have been working with investors for some time now and they realized this 2 years ago.
Gold AND a 30 year fixed rate mortgage @ 4% are BOTH hedges on inflation...

The difference is that only one of those two things have not inflated over the last 3 years.

It is all about bargains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 11:00 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,637,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Quick question for the reply-ers:

Do you trust the intrinsic value of a precious metal
No, because intrinsic value is based on perception of value, and currently that perception is fear.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
No, because intrinsic value is based on perception of value, and currently that perception is fear.
Are you saying that fear is the current driver of value?

If so, then how are the current political machinations of Bernanke, Geithner and Obama a better basis of fiscal rationality than the constancy of a centuries old precious metal?

Old 07-27-2011, 11:07 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,430,344 times
Quote:
At the risk of looking like a vested party... gold is nothing more than a hedge on inflation.

When you can buy a home for 60,000 that is renting for 750-900 it is a no brainer.

When you can buy a home for 50 cents on the dollar is that too hard to figure out?

I have been working with investors for some time now and they realized this 2 years ago.
Yup.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:11 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,344,631 times

Great, but I can buy gold in increments I can afford, and cannot buy real estate in increments I can afford.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:12 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,637,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Are you saying that fear is the current driver of value?
yes.

Quote:
If so, then how are the current political machinations of Bernanke, Geithner and Obama a better basis of fiscal rationality than the constancy of a centuries old precious metal?
wow, hyperbole overload. let me decipher that..

"Given the policy decisions of our leaders, how is the dollar a better store of value than gold?"

That's the best translation of your words into a meaningful question, that I can produce.

And the answer to that is that gold cannot be used to invest in productive enterprises, while dollars can.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:

I realized this also but I can't buy a home. How can I protect/hedge against the screwing I expect to receive?

Old 07-27-2011, 11:19 AM

Owning a home is going to become largely stratified and hereditary. New homeowners will largely be those who inherit, and kids born today will mostly not be homeowners unless their parents were.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:22 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,170,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Owning a home is going to become largely stratified and hereditary. New homeowners will largely be those who inherit, and kids born today will mostly not be homeowners unless their parents were.
This isn't true. You can buy a decent 2br condo today (post-crash prices) near Orlando, FL for $65,000. That comes out to under $400/mo. If you rent out one bedroom, you are able to buy a place for less than it costs to rent. The market tends to regulate itself. While the housing crash was devastating, it did open the door for many people to afford to buy their first home.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
yes.

wow, hyperbole overload. let me decipher that..

"Given the policy decisions of our leaders, how is the dollar a better store of value than gold?"

That's the best translation of your words into a meaningful question, that I can produce.

And the answer to that is that gold cannot be used to invest in productive enterprises, while dollars can.
Hyperbole | Define Hyperbole at Dictionary.com

Quote:
–noun Rhetoric .
obvious and intentional exaggeration.
an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”
Unless the three men I mentioned are not, in fact, in charge of our money, I don't believe I used hyperbole (as it is defined).

"Squandering" is not a productive enterprise.

"Dollars" are a medium of exchange, not a store of value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies