Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 08:54 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,428,238 times

Advertisements

Not to be confused with any of the voter ID laws to discourage lower income and minority voters you see sailing through all these Republican legislatures and which, in Wisconsin at least, and likely others who find it a good idea, the closing of DMV offices in minority neighborhoods

The voter ID law to combat voter and election fraud would require an ID. It would also mandate a paper trail. It would dictate that poll workers live in the neighborhood. All ballots, machines, punch cards, etc would be inspected by a bipartisan committee to make sure they are easy to read etc (no, I don't mean every individual ballot , punch card, etc). Also something would be done about those robocalls that are sent to minority neighborhoods designed to prevent them for voting, as well as some kind of program to make it easier for people to get IDs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 09:03 AM

556 posts, read 622,422 times
My wife and I just received voter registrations in the mail. It was sent to notify us of a change in polling places. Trouble is there was a registration in my wifes maiden name. We've been married for 11 years. She never used her maiden name in that time period. The last time she used her maiden name was in a different town.
What do you make of that?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:14 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
I got a better idea. How about requiring voters to show up with their 1040 proving that they actually PAID taxes?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
My wife and I just received voter registrations in the mail. It was sent to notify us of a change in polling places. Trouble is there was a registration in my wifes maiden name. We've been married for 11 years. She never used her maiden name in that time period. The last time she used her maiden name was in a different town.
What do you make of that?
Weird.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I got a better idea. How about requiring voters to show up with their 1040 proving that they actually PAID taxes?
Because number one you don't have to pay taxes to vote and number two the 1040 only shows that you paid income tax. I find it very telling that you mention the 1040 but not the paycheck or excise tax bill (or receipt) or receipt from a store all of which would show taxes being paid

Old 07-27-2011, 09:29 AM

I really wasn't expecting to see more of that "income taxes are the only ones that exist" bull in this thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:43 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,797 times
voter ID is smoke and mirrors. its goal is to not to make it impossible, but make it harder for people who they dont want to vote, to vote, which is why some liken it to jim crow.

jim crow days they would make you jump through hoops to be able to vote, and it deterred people from voting. kevinm's idea is something that would be used to prevent people from voting.

the goal isnt to prevent you from voting. its just to make it a big hassle.

this idea that republicans all of a sudden care about honesty and integrity in elections is laughable.

they had majorities before, why didnt they put it in back then.

they need voter ID, not for integrity, but to help them win re-election.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:44 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Because number one you don't have to pay taxes to vote and number two the 1040 only shows that you paid income tax. I find it very telling that you mention the 1040 but not the paycheck or excise tax bill (or receipt) or receipt from a store all of which would show taxes being paid

I am proposing that you DO have to pay FEDERAL TAXES to vote in federal elections. My motto is "NO REPRESENTATION WITHOUT TAXATION!".

Old 07-27-2011, 09:48 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
voter ID is smoke and mirrors. its goal is to not to make it impossible, but make it harder for people who they dont want to vote, to vote, which is why some liken it to jim crow.

jim crow days they would make you jump through hoops to be able to vote, and it deterred people from voting. kevinm's idea is something that would be used to prevent people from voting.

the goal isnt to prevent you from voting. its just to make it a big hassle.

this idea that republicans all of a sudden care about honesty and integrity in elections is laughable.

they had majorities before, why didnt they put it in back then.

they need voter ID, not for integrity, but to help them win re-election.

it would be nice to have a good discussion about this subject. I have a question.

We know that there are people who vote more than once and other kinds of voter fraud. This can happen from both sides.

do you believe this should be combated? if so, how?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:48 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I am proposing that you DO have to pay FEDERAL TAXES to vote in federal elections. My motto is "NO REPRESENTATION WITHOUT TAXATION!".
It would help if the taxes I pay locally are deductible from my federal obligation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies