Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Left or Right
Left 15 39.47%
Right 23 60.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 08:51 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times

Advertisements

Left and Right are confused today, with the Democrat and the Republican Party trying to maintain an exact 50-50 split in polls by throwing in some ideas that are internally inconsistent (like the right to choose abortion, which Republicans should support since government should not be involved in either the bedroom or the doctor's office).

I always thought I was right-wing conservative, then heard Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) in a 2008 Presidential debate and couldn't believe how intelligent--and correct--he was about everything he said. Now I read he is the most "Left" of all the politicians in Washington. And Ron Paul, Libertarian and nominal Republican, often agrees with Kucinich on things when every other politician is against them.

Libertarians should be able to draw on both the left and the right, since there are many destructive policies that traditional Republicrat politicians must support to serve their Big Business masters, like the (un-) "Fair Trade" that pretty much destroyed both our Middle Class AND our economy, and the insane endless wars that bankrupted the nation and taxpayer so that Halliburton can stay rich and our Presidents can strut like Tom Turkeys on the world stage.

In reality, modern Republicans are nothing more than Democrats (hence the term RINOs), and should forfeit the name so that true Libertarians can actually form a separate Party. For far too long, voters have only had the false "choice" of Clone A and Clone B, who both represent the same Party of Big Business ruling Big Government. It is just sad that the RINO Romney, who created the Massachusetts version of Obamacare that requires massive Federal funding to stay afloat, should be considered as the Republican ALTERNATIVE to Obama.

If you have to write it in, do it. You have two choices in 2012: More of the Same, or Libertarian reform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 08:57 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
As an ex liberal, I'm now a libertarian. I'm curious to know which political spectrum you came from to become a libertarian.
I think you need to define libertarian. Many believe that Libertarian = states rights.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:02 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I think you need to define libertarian. Many believe that Libertarian = states rights.
True, plus people assume that states rights equals being able to violate our constitutional rights.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:11 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
I've been libertarian since before Libertarian was cool, just didn't know what it was til Ron Paul came along. But for cause, was more aligned with conservatives than liberals.

Reason: always knew that while my life had little to do with the Constitution, but that the Constitution had everything to do with my life.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:29 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Default Libertarians, Did You Come From The Left or The Right?

Libertarians came from Hamilton AND Jefferson.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:23 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Extremely liberal socially. Extremely conservative economically. I probably align with 90% of what Reason Magazine publishes.

Ron Paul is the closest to supporting my views.

Ditto!

Old 07-28-2011, 07:35 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
From the Left. I had an epiphany in 1989. I grew weary of being squawked at by all the NYC token clerks who get away with it because their union protects them. I then visited East Berlin in its dying days and noticed the subway workers did the same thing there. There was a pattern.

So it began...

Old 07-28-2011, 07:44 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Left and Right are confused today, with the Democrat and the Republican Party trying to maintain an exact 50-50 split in polls by throwing in some ideas that are internally inconsistent (like the right to choose abortion, which Republicans should support since government should not be involved in either the bedroom or the doctor's office).

I always thought I was right-wing conservative, then heard Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) in a 2008 Presidential debate and couldn't believe how intelligent--and correct--he was about everything he said. Now I read he is the most "Left" of all the politicians in Washington. And Ron Paul, Libertarian and nominal Republican, often agrees with Kucinich on things when every other politician is against them.

Libertarians should be able to draw on both the left and the right, since there are many destructive policies that traditional Republicrat politicians must support to serve their Big Business masters, like the (un-) "Fair Trade" that pretty much destroyed both our Middle Class AND our economy, and the insane endless wars that bankrupted the nation and taxpayer so that Halliburton can stay rich and our Presidents can strut like Tom Turkeys on the world stage.

In reality, modern Republicans are nothing more than Democrats (hence the term RINOs), and should forfeit the name so that true Libertarians can actually form a separate Party. For far too long, voters have only had the false "choice" of Clone A and Clone B, who both represent the same Party of Big Business ruling Big Government. It is just sad that the RINO Romney, who created the Massachusetts version of Obamacare that requires massive Federal funding to stay afloat, should be considered as the Republican ALTERNATIVE to Obama.

If you have to write it in, do it. You have two choices in 2012: More of the Same, or Libertarian reform.

To add about Kusinich. He is a career politician and not to be trusted. He had a hand in the decline of the city of Cleveland. Now due to the population shifts his congressional seat is being removed. So instead, he is going to sell out his state, and consider moving to Washington state to run for a seat there. So much for caring about your home state, and your constituents. I'm not in his district, but good riddance!

Old 07-28-2011, 07:52 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Libertarians should be able to draw on both the left and the right, since there are many destructive policies that traditional Republicrat politicians must support to serve their Big Business masters, ......

Hmmm..... like bailing out GM ????? Oh wait, that was Obama.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:55 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Neither. I have never voted for a democrat or republican candidate in a national election in my adult life. I have also never been registered as anything other than 'no party affiliation' in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies