Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 04:45 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
It is truly sad that so many people think it is completely fine to discrimminate against people. I personally know people who were born and raised under the Jim Crow system. Many of you on this board have no idea how inhumane, restrictive, and deadly that system was. People would literally lose their lives. Homes were bombed. Men, women and children were lynched. People would go to college, graduate, and still only be able to work as maids, and janitors. People would go to a diner or restaurant and not be allowed to go inside and eat. They would have to go to the back of the place, and have their food handed to them in a bag so they would not use the plates and silverware. Children would go to the community swimming pool at a designated day and time. After they were done, the enire pool would be drained and refilled. I could go on and on about the treatment that many many American citizens experienced in their own country by their fellow Americans. It is shameful to know that in 2011, so many people want to go back to the pre-civil rights era.
Jim Crow LAWS were government mandated racism. I know people who were born, raised and suffered under those laws who are libertarians today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
A fundamental flaw of Libertarianism is it doesn't not protect the rights of citizens. It just says "That's not the role of government".

Libertarianism is one of those ideas that sounds great in a political science class but isn't really sustainable in the real world. That's why it's never had any sustaining traction anywhere.
Actually you have it back wards, libertarianism is THE only idea that supports the rights of the individual as opposed to the just the majority or group.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:55 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
...and a Black man will never be President of the United States...
What does THAT have to do with Libertarianism?

They used to say that Black Americans couldn't fly in combat. Then came the Tuskegee Airmen.

It used to be people said there will never be Black CEO's of Fortune 500 company's. Over the past 20 years there have been several.

People have been telling Black Americans what they can't do in this country for about three hundred years.

And they keep being proved wrong.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:50 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,022 times
Quote:
What does THAT have to do with Libertarianism?

They used to say that Black Americans couldn't fly in combat. Then came the Tuskegee Airmen.

It used to be people said there will never be Black CEO's of Fortune 500 company's. Over the past 20 years there have been several.

People have been telling Black Americans what they can't do in this country for about three hundred years.

And they keep being proved wrong.

"The fact of matter is that Libertairianism has NEVER gained polticial traction in America and it won't." -JazzyTallGuy

They said NEVER about Black people and you say NEVER about Libertarians.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:55 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I suppose you would need to ask the those who voted for the arduous process of passing a constitutional amendment.
Any statute repugnant to the Constitution is void at, and from, the time of its writing.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:23 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
"The fact of matter is that Libertairianism has NEVER gained polticial traction in America and it won't." -JazzyTallGuy

They said NEVER about Black people and you say NEVER about Libertarians.
Have Libertairian political principles ever gained any real traction in America?

Has there even been a Libertarian political candidate that ever had a serious candidacy for the presidency that drew over 30% of the popular vote?

Everything I said about Black Americans has already been proven as factual.

Now you may believe at some point in time the Libertarian political philosphies may gain some traction in America. But in a global society I don't see how this country competes effectively with it.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:26 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Any statute repugnant to the Constitution is void at, and from, the time of its writing.
We were not discussing statutes but rather amendments to the Constitution which one ratified cannot by definition be repugnant to the same instrument.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Have Libertairian political principles ever gained any real traction in America?

Has there even been a Libertarian political candidate that ever had a serious candidacy for the presidency that drew over 30% of the popular vote?

Everything I said about Black Americans has already been proven as factual.

Now you may believe at some point in time the Libertarian political philosphies may gain some traction in America. But in a global society I don't see how this country competes effectively with it.

I doubt it will ever gain traction, most people like being controlled and others like to control.

But that doesn't me I will give up promoting the only peaceful solution.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:49 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
We were not discussing statutes but rather amendments to the Constitution which one ratified cannot by definition be repugnant to the same instrument.
Like I said, we can't even void an unconstitutional statute, let alone amend the constitution.

The article III courts are supposed to void unconstitutional statutes, but the judiciary machinery of this country has been broken for a long time.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:03 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Like I said, we can't even void an unconstitutional statute,
The will come as new to Citizens United.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies